Main Menu

Migration to SSD

Started by bertie97, September 21, 2012, 07:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bertie97

I have just released a number of moths as I decided to go down the SSD route (& keep my trusty 1090T in service).

My question is about software migration, I could dump an edited disk image (ie OS & essentials) straight onto the SSD, but I'm wondering about re-routing to installs on the existing HDDs.
Is there anything which will alter the registry for installs e.g - from c:\ to x:\ ?  (& which would actually work  :)  )
Was sure I saw something somewhere but cannot recall.  JunctionMaster variant perhaps?  Recommendations anyone?

Or maybe I should start over & just do a full re-install which would be advantageous for streamlining I guess...  In which case this thread is redundant!  ;)

BenYeeHua

I will choose reinstall windows, as the capacity is not big enough to fit so many software.  ;D
Except the system disk is used no more than the capacity of SSD.(Just used not more than 100GB at here)
Here is some information/guide to install windows 7 on a SSD.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1179518/seans-ssd-buyers-guide-information-thread
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds
----
And if you move the system to the SSD, it is ok, as I remember it will become C:\
But remember the AHCI and alignment the sector  ;)

bertie97

Thanks BYH  - the probability is that I will do a clean OS install but I would like to access stuff on the former C: to save installing/reinstalling tons of essential apps...
Hence I wondered about junctions
One of those posts mentions this-
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

So I am here wondering about JunctionMaster variants/deployment as an expedient.  :P

BenYeeHua

Wait...(look at the title
I wonder how much time is need for you to reinstall all the software at the new SSD.
30 seconds for 1 software? ;D

bertie97

Yes it is quicker to install stuff but you still have to find the stuff you want & grind through it all.  So it still seems slooooooooooooooow!  ::)

BenYeeHua

It seen like many software is lack of function export the setting file. ;D

bertie97

Hence my interest in NTFS junctions for migration & bare-metal image exports.   :P

BenYeeHua

So you can give it a try, backup first  ;)

mauilachance

how to back up it?

Jeremy Collake

Yes, if you try to make automated registry path adjustments, backup FIRST. You can export your hives using RegEdit, though you should ALSO create a system restore point. There ARE utilities out there that do this, though a simple search and replace in regedit is as effective, and lets you take a close look at each change. NONE of the utilities I've seen that do this are any smarter than a search and replace. For instance, you would open RegEdit, search for "X:\" and change occurrences to "Z:\" (or whatever your paths are). It might take a bit, there may be many references, so automated software does have that advantage.

AFTER you've done the operation with automated software or manually, you can use our RegMerge tool to compare the old registry hives you dumped to the current registry hives. That way you can see exactly what changed.

As long as you make a system restore point though, you should be ok. Just be careful you can be, but make no mistake that this is a delicate operation with things that could go wrong.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

Oh, and if POSSIBLE, I would recommend remapping the SSD to your old HDD's drive letter ... though this is a complex operation too, but would save you from all the path adjustments. In the end, I would recommend reinstalling Windows. It will take less time, be safer, be sure, etc..
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

nikkil

I would do too. They say, Reinstallation is far more safer, easier than an upgrade. Let us know on how this works out for you Bertie.
You're never a loser until you quit trying.