Microsoft drops Windows Update from Windows XP below SP3

Started by Jeremy Collake, October 17, 2012, 04:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

Did you know Windows Update is no longer compatible with anything below Windows XP SP3? You get this message: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2497281 . I didn't, until I was working in a test bed. I don't blame them, but there *is* a crowd of users out there who refuse to install Windows XP SP2 to this day.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

I heard they were dropping support on updates but you never know what that means, auto, manual etc .
I am not surprised they did this , there are ISO you can DL, at least I think betanews posts them .

I just got win7 64bit so i am not going to upgrade anytime soon . I don't see need anyway, I have no mobile devices so I won't be gaining to much other than core fixes/improvements .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yes, the stand-alone XP3 installer actually wouldn't even run until I installed SP2.

So, for XP users, it is:
Windows XP
+ SP2
+ SP3

Process Lasso dropped support for pre-SP2 XP, BTW .. something I was testing. I may restore support for it and Windows 2000 every once and a while (create a special build). It is really Microsoft forcing the abandonment of these build targets. There is no great reason to do so, other than encouraging migration to a newer version of Windows that is more secure.

BenYeeHua

I didn't get this news too  :o
But I don't know why there are using sp2, I get more performance from sp3, and this is also the same for the vista sp1(based on what I hear from vista user).
Maybe they are using a windows XP simplify ghost CD, and after they install the sp3, they get some error/BSOD  ;D
-----
Ya, there are some software that can auto download and install the update files. ;)
-----
QuoteDetermine which service pack is currently installed on your computer. Before you install Windows XP SP3, you must already have Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP SP1a installed.
So ya, they need SP1a and SP2 install first, but most of the ghost CD is having the sp3+latest directx+some update is installed(based on which date  the ghost is made)+some software like antivirus is installed.

And did the VS110 is affected by the sp version?
-----Funny cross line 8)
The notebook user with dual graphic card installed with Windows xp
User:Why my gaming graphic card is having the yellow ! ?
With some picture that showing the system information, device manager.
Reply:
1.The only way, install back to windows 7
2.Yup, install windows 7
3.+1
4.+10086
5.+35565
6.+99999
User:Did it having other way?
Reply:No! Or you can changing the graphic card at the BIOS, but your laptop is no having this functions.
User:OK, I will find the seller to change back to windows 7...
PS:Do the homework, and try the new windows first ;D
-
The windows XP is more stable than windows 7.
???
-
The windows XP is more stable than windows 7 when overclocking.
:o
-
The windows XP is more performance for gaming.
Reply:Can you play BF3? ::)
-
Topic:My game can't play on the windows 7
OP:My game can't play on the windows 7, the game name is XXX
Reply:But I can play, which windows 7 you has install.
OP:The ghost version of windows 7.
Reply:Use the MSDN(yup, MSDN), the ghost version is changed by the creator.
OP:Thank You, it can be running now.
PS:Never change/touch the os file before you know better than MS  :)
-
Topic:The SSD is suck!
OP:I will changing back to the HDD, because it is just boot faster.
Reply:
1.You will regret.
2.Yup, you will, because I has been tried...
3.+1, I having the other laptop with 5400rpm Hard Disk, I can't hold on for the slow.
4.Yup, so try it, and you will know it.
5.I wanna buy it, 50 RMB~
PS:He need some lesson  ;D
----
I better stop, because there are too many of them  ;D
But the 64bit version has its benefit, the game that using more Ram will not be crash like on the 32bit.(even on 4GB ram) ;)

nikkil

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on October 17, 2012, 04:44:45 PM
Did you know Windows Update is no longer compatible with anything below Windows XP SP3? You get this message: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2497281 . I didn't, until I was working in a test bed. I don't blame them, but there *is* a crowd of users out there who refuse to install Windows XP SP2 to this day.

I guess this is fairly reasonable. I think people using Windows XP nowadays are technical ones. I don't think they would need those updates since they can just find work arounds if they bump in to some issues.
You're never a loser until you quit trying.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: nikkil on February 17, 2013, 08:28:25 AM
I think people using Windows XP nowadays are technical ones.
Nope, they think Windows XP is for gaming. ;D

Jeremy Collake

It is no surprise, they are trying to aggressively kill off XP. It wasn't until the first service pack to Visual Studio 2012 that one could even target XP. This means that no application build with VS2012 was compatible with XP, until recently. I had to use an older platform toolset, basically using VS2010 with the newer IDE of VS2012.

For the record, I believe this is a bad idea. There are too many people using XP, and they *need* security updates. By doing this, Microsoft is exposing a large number of potentially vulnerable systems. There is likely already botnets made up primarily of older, unpatched, systems.

BenYeeHua

Yes, and no.
For business thing, it is right for putting less money on old thing.
For user that using newest windows, they can get more people/patch for improving the stability/performance of windows.

But, for all user that using windows XP and whole network, it is not the right decision, as their computer will become botnets for people that don't know about computer.
And some result showing windows 8 can replace windows XP, for the user that having less RAM for their computer. ;)

Jeremy Collake

We are currently in 'Extended Support', meaning security updates should still be issued. This will end in 2014 though, next year!

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/how-long-will-microsoft-support-xp-vista-and-windows-7/2304

BenYeeHua

For next year, I hope Windows XP user will using Windows 7/8 as main os. :)

edkiefer

Quote from: BenYeeHua on March 19, 2013, 01:20:50 PM
For next year, I hope Windows XP user will using Windows 7/8 as main os. :)
nah, on win8, but win9 depends on changes  :)
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua