Brand new user - Handbrake question

Started by jkauff, November 02, 2012, 12:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkauff

I've just installed Process Lasso. I use Handbrake quite often to transcode movies, and as you might know it uses all of my quad cores at 100% during this operation. My goal is to allow Handbrake to run 3 cores at 100%, but run one core at about 75% to allow me to do other work during its 1-2 hour processing. Can I do this with Process Lasso, and if so how?

BenYeeHua

Hi, why not just set the Handbrake process as Idle priority?
So if you are doing other work, it will not affect it. ;)
It will remain running as 100% except the other process want to use it.

You can use the Hard Throttle, but it is not recommended...

jkauff

Jeremy Collake

Hard Throttling will not give you the result you want, I can say that for sure. The best thing you can do is to make sure it is running a Idle priority class, and that's all you can do. If priority adjustment doesn't yield adequate effects, I would restrict it to an affinity of 3 cores, and live with leaving that other core 100% available.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

bertie97

This looks like an old but relevant thread...

Just upgraded the rig with an AMD FX-8350 & decided to see what it was like with Handbrake.
As I have a stock HSF I was interested to see all 8 cores hammered at 99.x % for the duration of the encode.
This took the CPU within a few degrees of it's top limit temp.  This is OK right now with low ambient temps, but could really be an issue when summer gets here.
Started thinking about 'Hard-Throttle', but the docs don't tell me much about what it is doing & it is flagged with warnings.
Currently I opted for limiting the available cores via PL - not so great for speed of encode, but better than a cooked CPU.
This instantly takes 10C off the CPU temp, so yaaay for PL (again).

I would like to know something about 'Hard-Throttle' if anyones willing.  My aim is not system responsiveness but temp control untill I get a hi-grade HSF...

BenYeeHua

You better just limit the core that it can be using, as I think by using Hard Throttle, it might having much bigger cache miss.(not a expert on this) ;)

And yes, it get much hotter, as it(encoding) is using AVX, or much better one, FMA4. :)

DeadHead

I would look around for a better cooling solution so that you can use your cpu to its full potential without having to worry about temperatures.
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

BenYeeHua

Maybe, and also make sure it is under 65°C or <65°C, it look like the stability will gone after >65°C...

bertie97

Thanks BYH & Happy Horse Year to you ;)

@DeadHead - I am looking at cooling, would quite like liquid cooling, but even now people manage to kill their PCs with leaks on supposedly factory checked/sealed units.  There are some good air solutions at http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm & they aren't too expensive.

edkiefer

What system specs are you running ,if its a Intel i5/i7 quad core something like CM 212evo is more than enough and will not break the bank .

If your running E series 6 core or AMD 6/8 core you might need more but even here if not OC it should be fine and way better than retail HS (at least on Intel side) .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on February 26, 2014, 09:38:50 AM
What system specs are you running ,if its a Intel i5/i7 quad core something like CM 212evo is more than enough and will not break the bank .

If your running E series 6 core or AMD 6/8 core you might need more but even here if not OC it should be fine and way better than retail HS (at least on Intel side) .

lol, you must be the Men in Black. 8)
Quote from: bertie97 on February 16, 2014, 08:46:25 AM
This looks like an old but relevant thread...

Just upgraded the rig with an AMD FX-8350 & decided to see what it was like with Handbrake.
As I have a stock HSF I was interested to see all 8 cores hammered at 99.x % for the duration of the encode.
This took the CPU within a few degrees of it's top limit temp.  This is OK right now with low ambient temps, but could really be an issue when summer gets here.
Started thinking about 'Hard-Throttle', but the docs don't tell me much about what it is doing & it is flagged with warnings.
Currently I opted for limiting the available cores via PL - not so great for speed of encode, but better than a cooked CPU.
This instantly takes 10C off the CPU temp, so yaaay for PL (again).

I would like to know something about 'Hard-Throttle' if anyones willing.  My aim is not system responsiveness but temp control untill I get a hi-grade HSF...

AMD FX-8350, can reach 160-200 watt if using AVX/FMA3...
Anyways, for cooler, I am not a expert in this area, so better handle this to your guys.  ;)

edkiefer

Ok, thats a 125w TDP and yes, I would get something better than evo in that case , especially if doing a lot intense workload .

From same site you can see how coolers stack up , for AMD 125W TDP

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2764&page=4

One note on there results , I don't think they represent real world numbers , as they are using  synthetic thermal testing to produce heat and dies size(not just the IHS size)  has big factor on HS performance too but it should be close .

http://www.frostytech.com/testmethod_mk2.cfm

While many of Dual tower coolers are very good (NH-D14 , Phanteks PH-TC14PE, etc     ) I like the Noctua    NH-U14S as its single tower and good performer , only issue its 140mm wide so you need room till first slot where vid is in .
On Intel side many MB the PCI-E vid slot is second down so this is not issue and this cooler has good memory clearance unlike most all dual towers .
you need standard height ram, not extended HS on them or it tends to maybe hit the front fan .
Bitsum QA Engineer

bertie97

Thanks for the input guys.
I will have to study the site some more.  Making sure of space is always an issue with these huge fin arrays, not to mention the weight of them!  :o

Just to be clear, I have to point out that it is only Handbrake that flogs the stock HSF (other than something like Prime95). If I encode with xvid I get a full 20C drop in core temps.   
It's quite happy multi-tasking whilst the encode is running & I have yet to find a game that heats the system up so much.
Don't want to put people off the CPU as it runs well / cool with the stock HSF.  Except with handbrake... ::) 

edkiefer

On AMD side of things I don't really know how there retail stacks up to many 3rd party aftermarket HS like 212 evo .
I am guessing that there retail does better and Intel as intels don't produce as much heat from TDP viewpoint so I think AMD maybe be better HS , as its needs better cooling .
That Frostytech link does have retail Intel HS in list but I don't see any AMD retail HS other than a liquid cooling one

Best to check some AMD cooling/OC forums , I am sure your type of question comes up a lot .

Edit: Ok, looked around a bit and seems 212evo would be fine on 8350 , guys are OC to 4.4-4.5 and keeping temps below 60c in prime95 .

What was your core temps going to ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

bertie97

Thanks for looking around Ed - been too tied up to get back to this til now.

As a follow up to my earlier posts:
The heat issues when running handbrake obviously become more critical in warm weather.  So I had to rob the piggy bank & start looking for a 3rd party cooler.  This is the first time in more than a decade of AMD use that I have needed to ditch the stock HSF.
I did my research on Frostytech & found that the Zalman CNPS10X performa is rated pretty highly & yet was available for under $40 inc S&H.  It fits nicely in the space in my tower, it is supposed to be a bit smaller than many of the big tower coolers & certainly weighs less. 

It arrived today & I got to fitting it.  No problems with the install, everything you need is incudled & despite being the first backplate transplant I've done it went smoothly.
The lump itself is surprisingly quiet even without CnQ active.

The lowdown on Temps (I'm just using the monitor software that came with the mobo, hopefully it isn't too far off) -
Before -
idle / browsing etc = ambient +15 - 20C
full load on all cores = ambient + <50C
--it got too much so I used PL to disable cores to bring it below the danger level.  BIOS fan setting on 'Turbo', no CnQ.
After -
idle / browsing etc = ambient +5 - 7C
full load on all cores = ambient +30C
--is as high as I've got it so far - it's being thrashed on all cores by handbrake right now (PL reports 99% load) & after 50+ mins it's peaked @ ambient + <30C
& to make it even more of a challenge BIOS fan setting on 'Standard' & CnQ is active.

It isn't even spiking as I start up multiple apps whilst Handbrake is working.  As soon as HB stops the temp rapidly drops.
So far I'm very pleased - a good product & great $ per watt ratio.  8)
It certainly gets my recommendation.

edkiefer

Yes, I seen many with good reports on that HS .
Those temps seem very good for AMD CPU .
On monitoring HWmonitor is small app, no install app that works good (there are many HW monitors ).
Bitsum QA Engineer