Process Governor Problem

Started by Praoler, February 27, 2009, 08:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Praoler

I have process lasso pro 3.46.2 installed. For whatever reason, Processgovernor.exe is always using up 50% of the CPU resources and process lasso ends up taking actions constantly, slowing my pc down. Any ideas why this is happening?

Zero

Try out 3.48.1, maybe the problem is fixed in the new version.

Jeremy Collake

I have not seen or heard of such a thing happening. It may be something peculiar to your system. If you've made any adjustments to the Process Lasso configuration, I suggest uninstalling and reinstalling it to see if they had a negative effect.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

RDMTECH

I have seen on some servers/workstations where the GUI is using a large chunk of resources, but after closing the GUI everything returns to normal.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: RDMTECH on February 27, 2009, 02:46:38 PM
I have seen on some servers/workstations where the GUI is using a large chunk of resources, but after closing the GUI everything returns to normal.

Well that's not good to hear at all ;o. By resources do you mean virtual memory? If the virtual memory use was high, excessive swapping probably caused excessive CPU utilization.

I am running some extended tests here, simulating possible scenarios of system activity over a long period of time. The original problem here may or may not be related to this one with the GUI.

Thanks for the report. I'll let you know if I find anything.

RDMTECH

The next time I see it I will check the VM usage.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: RDMTECH on March 02, 2009, 09:34:02 AM
The next time I see it I will check the VM usage.

There is no need, I've got it all worked out now. I posted a couple posts here on my status, then deleted them.. I will try to leave this post.

I'm now done with my virtual memory investigation of the GUI, and I can say for certain that as of v3.49 beta the GUI has no memory leaks. In v3.48.5 there is one small memory leak pertaining to the data structure used for the process icons. This leak would only grow while the main window was open and visible, and when new processes are created and destroyed. The growth was very slow, but if you left the GUI's main window open AND visible for a few months on a system with a lot of process creation/destruction activity, the GUI's virtual memory allocation could grow to a size that caused complications. The location of this leak made it a bit cumbersome to track down. I'm relieved that I finally found it ;).

I have found no leaks in the core engine/governor, and am sure it doesn't have any.

As a side note, I noticed that the process icons are actually consuming 50% or more of the private virtual memory allocated by the GUI. This means that for users who can do without them, RAM use will drop by probably 30% or more, depending on the process count. Naturally, I am adding the option to turn them off.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the original post here.. and if the GUI problem you saw is not related to a virtual memory leak, then I suppose this investigation had nothing to do at all with this thread ;o.

RDMTECH

Looks like you squished this bug!

I installed v3.49 beta and the GUI no longer consumes excess resources.  Good job!

Jeremy Collake

Thanks, glad it improves things ;). I am adding some sophisticated memory allocation tracking to the code, so that no other leaks ever accidentally slip in without notice.

I have done a lot of code review this morning, and am going to push out v3.50 final so that I can begin many bigger planned changes in a new beta series.