Default CPU affinity?

Started by garyamort, April 04, 2012, 10:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyamort

I am using Process Lasso Pro[registered and well worth it!] and I'd like to be able to set a default affinity.

IE all apps use get 0,1,2 as their default
A few apps specifically are given 2,3,4
And a few others specifically get 4,5

However, when I tried adding a rule for *.exe to get 0,1,2 0 it ended up giving everything 0,1,2 even the ones I had given a different setting to.

Is there a way to configure 'everything I have not chosen' ?

Jeremy Collake

REDACTED: This guidance is no longer applicable.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

garyamort

Since I had added it recently, it was at the bottom already.  I just reordered them[placing it at the top of the list by deleting and re-adding everything else] - and that works.  So for a default it has to be at the top.  Cool.  Works as I wanted.

A bit of an odd request... I've got 6 cores and really I was content for most apps with a dual core system before my upgrade last year...so I am playing with restricting everything to half my cores and then just giving specific apps access to the last 3 cores.

Jeremy Collake

UPDATE 2021:

An internal data structure is sorting the CPU affinity rules alphabetically. That wasn't the case in 2012, when this thread was started.

A planned change will preserve their ordering. This will be completed at some point in the near future. I've made a note to reply here when it is done.

In the interim, you can massage your wildcards and/or Regular Expressions so they end up sorted alphabetically in the order you prefer.

See https://bitsum.com/processlasso-docs/#processmatch for process matching rules.
See http://support.ecisolutions.com/doc-ddms/help/reportsmenu/ascii_sort_order_chart.htm for ASCII character sort ordering. Note that the rules are Unicode, but ASCII is referenced here for clarity.

For example:

Process Match: /(steam|origin)/
Affinity: 5-7

Process Match: /.*/
Affinity: 0-4

These would put Steam and Origin games on CPUs 5-7, and other processes on 0-4.

Jeremy Collake

Properly ordered CPU affinity rules are now available as of 9.9.4.77 beta, including up/down buttons in the config dialog.