Please add foreground boost exclusion list

Started by MMcVeigh, October 07, 2008, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMcVeigh

I use Process Lasso Pro (currently 3.14.2) and find the foreground boost options quite useful especially coupled to my restraint settings.  Unfortunately I have one software product that doesn't play well.  Hummingbird Exceed causes everything, and I mean everything including Task Manager and Process Lasso, to freeze for a few seconds.  This happens, for instance, when I resize an Exceed X-Window.  I'd like to be able to exclude process exceed.exe from foreground boost.  I have tried choosing a default priority for it and an exclusion for restraint, without improving the situation.

Would it be possible to add a foreground boost exclusion list similar to the restraint exclusion list?

Jeremy Collake

I responded via email to this feature request, but for posterity I'll state here that a foreground exclusion list is planned. I'll likely have it implemented some time soon .. I'm guessing by about v3.20.

In the meantime, for the process in question, I recommended setting its default priority to idle and turning on 'forcibly set default priorities and affinities' (forced mode).
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

MMcVeigh

Back in October (version 3.14.2) our last exchange about making a foreground boost exclusion list indicated that it was planned.  I am still hoping to see this feature implemented, but it is not in the latest (version 3.54.7).  Any time estimate available?

Mark

Jeremy Collake

Yes, now is the PERFECT time to go ahead and implement this. I am making other large additions, and am trying to get caught up on all past requests like this. Please remind me again if you don't see it appear by v3.55.5 beta (several builds away, a couple weeks probably).

Thanks for your patience.

Robz

Excellent I was thinking just the other day about asking the same thing. I've dissabled foreground boosting because EA games dosen't like it either. Regards Rob

Jeremy Collake

I just finished adding this to the latest internal build, so it will appear in the next alpha or beta release.

Jeremy Collake

I recommend waiting for the next beta to be released, but if any of you really want to try this now, here is where to get the alpha version: http://www.bitsum.com/forum/index.php?topic=285.0 .

Robz

Just tried Process Lasso Pro v3.55.5 beta(x32) on XPSP3 tried the exclude foreground boosting on the EA games (previously stuttered under foreground boosting) and worked perfectly Thanks for adding this feature, also will game mode do anything when you exclude from foreground boosting? Regards Rob

PS: When I excluded the process I noticed the game exe creates another process which is using the CPU and possibly the reason for the problem in the first place. I excluded both processes and as above works perfectly. Thanks again :)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Robz on April 22, 2009, 02:34:36 PM
also will game mode do anything when you exclude from foreground boosting? Regards Rob

No, it shouldn't do any foreground boosting on an excluded process when in game mode. However, in game mode background processes that are ProBalance restrained are lowered to Idle, instead of below normal -- so there will be some difference.

PS: When I excluded the process I noticed the game exe creates another process which is using the CPU and possibly the reason for the problem in the first place. I excluded both processes and as above works perfectly. Thanks again :)

No problem, thanks for the testing ;)