Problem with changing CPU affinity

Started by Therinchis, October 24, 2023, 02:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Therinchis

Hi,

I hope this is the right place to ask a question like this. I use Process Lasso on my gaming/media server rig, and what I have essentially done is limit Plex and Handbrake to using 8 of the 16 cores on my Ryzen 1700 so that my gaming isn't too adversely affected when either programs are in use. What I was wondering is, is it possible to allow both programs to use all cores when I'm not gaming, and then automatically have the CPU affinities lowered when a game is started and performance mode is activated? Even in performance mode, gaming performance tanks for a bit when the Plex transcoder spikes if all cores are activated, but when I'm not gaming there's no need for any such limits. I know that you can set ProBalance to limit CPU affinity once a certain threshold on -that- program is met; what I'm wondering is if you can do this for a program when ANOTHER program hits that threshold, e.g. "limit CPU affinity of this particular program if another program is activating performance mode"?

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy Collake

The Config Profile Switcher will enable you to accomplish that.

You'd create one configuration (set of rules) for when your game is running, and another for when it isn't. Then you'd setup the switcher to trigger when your game(s) start. Note that you may need to set rules to undo actions made by the opposing config profile, since changes aren't automatically reverted when a config profile is switched to.

Admittedly, this solution could be easier to use, and we have planned enhancements related to this functionality that may come in the future.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

joekvalenzuela

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on October 24, 2023, 07:18:55 AMThe Config Profile Switcher will enable you to accomplish that.

You'd create one configuration (set of rules) for when your game is running, and another for when it isn't. Then you'd setup the switcher to trigger when your game(s) start. Note that you may need to set rules to undo actions made by the opposing config profile, since changes aren't automatically reverted when a config profile is switched to.

Admittedly, this solution could be easier to use, and we have planned enhancements related to this functionality that may come in the future.

Thanks for your reply, I think it made sense.