Process priorities / Race condition

Started by arcanum, January 27, 2024, 06:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arcanum

Hello,
Just a quick question, if i'm using a program that sets it own process priorities during runtime(when launched) to above normal or high, can i set it to "normal" with PL? Is there so called "race condition" between that program and with PL?
I mean, if a test.exe creates parent process and parent process creates children process. So with PL, if i set test.exe priority to "below normal", does it affect to parent/children processes too?

-arcanum

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: arcanum on January 27, 2024, 06:23:50 AMi'm using a program that sets it own process priorities during runtime(when launched) to above normal or high, can i set it to "normal" with PL? Is there so called "race condition" between that program and with PL?

If 'Forced Mode' is checked at the bottom of the Options menu, then Process Lasso will ensure that its priority rule is enforced over the program's own. Otherwise, the default behavior is not to fight with the program setting its own priority, and instead do a one-time adjustment. Depending on the timing, the end priority can vary based on who set it last, as you allude to.

Process priority classes of Below Normal and Idle are inherited by child processes when they are spawned. Higher than normal priority classes are not inherited. If the parent process's priority class is changed after spawning the child process(es), the change is not propagated.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.