URL open does not work with Opera

Started by Tarnak, July 19, 2012, 01:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarnak

I am not having the problem described by the OP. However, since beta 48 cannot access your site via GUI > Help > Visit Bitsum Technologies with Opera.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Tarnak on July 19, 2012, 01:47:06 AM
I am not having the problem described by the OP. However, since beta 48 cannot access your site via GUI > Help > Visit Bitsum Technologies with Opera.

Thanks for the report.

On the OP (periodic crashing of the core engine), is this with .48 or .49?

Please try .49 if you didn't, and confirm that it is failing in Opera. I had rewritten that code. Believe it or not a simple API call doesn't seem to work in 100% of cases, thus the algorithm became complex. I may go back to the simple API call, as those for whom it fails have non-standard shell associations anyway.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Tarnak

It is also, happening with 6.0.0.49 beta.

Regarding the original topic by the OP, as I said, I don't/didn't have that problem.

Jeremy Collake

v6.0.0.50 beta now released

Issue: Opera does not work with in-product web links (in prior betas)
Should be resolved (testing)

Tarnak

Just tried  v6.0.0.50...not working, yet.  As you mention above...."testing".

Jeremy Collake

Ok, thank you for letting me know. Splitting this topic since it is a different issue. I will get it in .51 for sure, I'll test against Opera there.

edkiefer

same with Palemoon (firefox engine) the link in help>about processlasso>developed by Bitsum tech and as Tarnak reports help>visit bitsum Tech web link does not work .
Forgot, this is with .50 . I also have FF 3.6 and IE9 loaded but Palemoon 12.3 is set to default .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Tarnak

That's OK...but I wondered where my posts went, because I still had a TAB open for that, and when refreshed, they were gone.  ;D

Jeremy Collake

Thanks Ed. At least I know going back to a simple ShellExecute call is NOT an option. I will correct for this immediately.

Jeremy Collake

v6.0.0.51 beta changes back to our old algorithm, with some fixes. Whether it works for Opera, I can't say yet - but I can say it returns the behavior that worked for most PCs before, with improvements. This strange failure of ShellExecute is a modern phenomenon. In some cases it may be the browser opens a tab with the requested link, but it is gone unnoticed in the background. In other cases, the shell association configuration may simply have ShellEecute confused.

Tarnak

That did the trick....But, I notice that my outward FW (Sygate) alert, indicates it wants to connect to port 443.

I notice that the use of this port instead of port 80, started just recently.

Tarnak

I just noticed that your forum clock is showing one hour in advance of my local time. I can't seem to find how to adjust for time difference in my profile.

edkiefer

ok , If I make IE9 default browser then .51 works but if I keep Palemoon as default it still broken .
I didn't check FF 3.6 yet
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Palemoon I just need to account for - I will in the next build. Basically, a fail-safe asks "is this a browser we know of", and I didn't list that one. It sounds odd, but due to the failure of ShellExecute, strange steps must be taken. Other developers have pondered this and the best solution for all PCs. For *most* PCs the standard ShellExecute is ok, but not for a large minority these days. Again, I speculate how much of this is imagined failure as the user doesn't notice background tabs opening, but...

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Tarnak on July 19, 2012, 10:41:17 AM
I just noticed that your forum clock is showing one hour in advance of my local time. I can't seem to find how to adjust for time difference in my profile.

I will check it, thanks.

Quote from: Tarnak on July 19, 2012, 10:26:52 AM
That did the trick....But, I notice that my outward FW (Sygate) alert, indicates it wants to connect to port 443.

I notice that the use of this port instead of port 80, started just recently.

That is SSL (HTTPS).

edkiefer

Yes, FF 3.6 works to as long as default . I guess its just a case of exe name ?

anyway it seems to work for most browsers now, major ones (I don't have Chrome ) .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on July 19, 2012, 11:32:01 AM
Yes, FF 3.6 works to as long as default . I guess its just a case of exe name ?

Yes, as lame as that is, since there are only a few well known browsers, and I end up with a path+command line that *should be* the way to launch the browser, I check to see if it is for any of the common browsers. If not found, I defer to ShellExecute, which is supposed to work anyway - and normally does. Reason was because I was launching some people's (misconfigured) editors instead of browsers, as they had been set to 'open' .htm files - instead of 'edit' them.. two very distinct verbs.

edkiefer

here path if you want it .

"C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe"
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

DeadHead

Quote from: bitsum.support on July 19, 2012, 11:27:26 AMAgain, I speculate how much of this is imagined failure as the user doesn't notice background tabs opening, but...

This.

I've seen it with other programs as well, for example the "Send to e-mail" - it works, but sometimes a new window won't pop up, and won't be visible even on the taskbar.

By alt-tabbing you can get the to the window, and by doing so, an icon appears on the taskbar as well. Seems related to me, and seems more like a general bug with Windows/other apps, not PL.
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

Jeremy Collake

Yes, it is definitely not Process Lasso, nor is Process Lasso the only application affected by this anomalous behavior. I think we expect the links to pop up in front of us, having just clicked them. Indeed, they should.

Tarnak

Jeremy Collake

I thought it might be. I will test with Opera (still haven't done it) and get it working. I had to go for the majority for the time being. It is curious that it is broken though. I am sure I can fix it, just curious that it requires special handling. It likely has something to do with its command line as registered to handle .htm files. It may do better with a simple ShellExecute.. the one that, for whatever reason, unnoticed background tabs or not, fails for many with Chrome and Firefox.

Jeremy Collake

Note that testing in Windows 7 x64, making Opera my default browser, the current code does work.

However, I am going to exclude it and use ShellExecute for Opera in the next beta. I'll be issuing it later today, after a bit more work.

Tarnak

This is still outstanding for me.

Additionally, the drop down menus of the GUI, have developed a slow to open issue, with the last couple of versions.

Jeremy Collake

Check your default application power profiles, make sure they were cleaned up (in case you had run a previous beta which had an issue). Slow to open menus means almost always something is up with the configuration. Send me your INI if you want (see Options / Advanced) and I will take a look at it. That said, they should have been cleaned up, so I don't know. I tested the code that cleaned them up. A similar issue could theoretically exist with some other rule, with the issue being it kept getting duplicated in the configuration file. I've not seen another case of such though.

As for Opera not opening, I know. I had to just let it be. Trying to fix Opera for some people (not all, for some it is fine) was causing mass failures for everyone else ;o. I will re-visit it later, but my first priority was the 99% not using Opera ;).

Tarnak

I just got the v6.0.0.61 update, which addresses an issue which was raised in another thread. ;)

I am not duly concerned by my Opera issue. I will wait for the fix.

I will send that INI file shortly.

I am not sure what you mean by "power profiles", because I don't think I have any.

Jeremy Collake

Yea, it was back in the beta series, the first few v6 alphas/betas had a bug where they would save the Default Application Power Profiles twice, so the list got longer and longer and longer.

I've evaluated the INI you sent me and nothing looks out of the ordinary, so I'm not sure what to make of the slow opening menu items, but let's keep an eye on it. It may just be other system activity? I don't know.

Tarnak

Thanks!...I got your reply, and will continue to monitor.

Tarnak

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Tarnak on July 31, 2012, 08:08:52 AM
URL open problem is fixed in v64. :)

Thanks! Finally, eh? Took me long enough, lol. That said, it is absurd it was even an issue. Once upon a time, before PC shell associations got so out of whack by so many different apps, it was a simple as a single API call. Now, I must do that API call, check for an error, and if found, then go launch the default browser manually.