Are you annoyed by the frequent updates to Process Lasso?

Started by Jeremy Collake, July 28, 2012, 02:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you annoyed by the frequent updates to Process Lasso?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
4 (28.6%)
I'm more concerned about seeing the continual improvement of the product - after all, we have an automated updater that (normally) works great!
10 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Jeremy Collake

Just out of curiosity ... Remember, in v6, you can set the update check frequency.

My policy is to fix any bug I consider important ASAP. Since I use code versioning software (SVN), I can be sure there are no other changes, etc.. run it through quick automated unit and operational tests, runtime tests, then issue the build.

If it is minor things, I usually wait, though for me many things others consider minor I consider important ;).
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Tarnak

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Tarnak on July 28, 2012, 03:26:48 AM
I voted for continual improvement.  ;)

Glad you did ;). I personally figure if a person has no problems with the current build, there is no *mandate* they *always* have the latest version. Thus, they can set the update check frequency for every 2 weeks, or never. However, for users who do have some problem, I like to have the latest and greatest code out there, available for them to make use of.

However, some feel they must have the latest version, so feel annoyed by this practice. Of course, I've always done it this way. Yes, even before Chrome and (now) Firefox ;p. Except I don't increment major version numbers but once or twice a year when I do major product overhauls.

edkiefer

with auto updater time settings there should be no issue .

With FF, Chrome etc that is different story as if those are used in corporate environment someone has to keep all systems updated .
I guess silent updates could be good thing here or maybe not depending on how you look at it  :)
Bitsum QA Engineer

DAOWAce

Lack of updates makes me sad.  I love seeing software constantly updated.  I have an update addiction with everything I install.

That changes of course when companies decide to do entire UI overhauls; which is why I stayed on Firefox 3.6 until the 'forced' update to v12 and spent a few days researching on how to make the UI as much like 3.6 as possible.  This also makes me irate towards the companies that are designing said software; as major UI overhauls aren't good for one's product in the eyes of the community.

TfH

Quote from: DAOWAce on July 28, 2012, 10:18:33 AM
Lack of updates makes me sad.  I love seeing software constantly updated.  I have an update addiction with everything I install.
+1 Same here man! I'm update/upgrade junkie :)

Voted NO, I love getting updates/upgrades :)

Jeremy Collake

I like updates too. Just have to be careful with them, not be too hasty. As for UI overhauls, yea many companies do so unnecessarily - sometimes going backwards. However, the average user sees the cosmetic changes and interpret them as progress more so than 1,000 internal improvements. I hope not to make any additional menu changes, or big UI changes to Process Lasso's main window from here on out, FWIW ;).

@tfw:
Silent updates are already possible, you just have to make sure Process Lasso is set to start elevated, then check Automatic Updates. It isn't silent, but done without user intervention. In the future, this will be done regardless of the elevation state.

There are actually two distinct new components I'm working on. One allows better control of the elevation state issue of child processes and the other is the Bitsum Universal Updater. I'll likely do the former first, as it is most needed. Of course, I've also got work to do if I want to get into the Metro store and/or have a Metro app to go along with Process Lasso. It isn't something that is essential, but would be nice to have. I would also like to develop an ARM build of Process Lasso. Right now we need lots of user support though, as these goals incur major new expenses (Microsoft taxes its developers rather highly).

keesue