Feature suggestion: GUI columns that show process settings

Started by Scott, December 08, 2008, 03:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

I wouldn't mention it, but you asked for feature ideas.  :)

In the GUI, would it be possible to add columns that show whether a process is excluded from ProBalance restraint, or whether it had a default priority, etc.?  I know currently you can right click each process to see these settings, but I think columns would be a great help.

Just an idea...  Thanks for reading.

Jeremy Collake

Yes, that is an excellent idea -- and will be very helpful. I'll do what I can to get it implemented ;). Thanks
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Scott

I've been loving this feature (thank you for implementing it!), but there's somewhat of a problem with it.  As an example, if a process is set with a default priority of "Below Normal", it will have a "B" in the column when the PL GUI is launched.  But if you remove the default priority from that process, the "B" remains.  The "B" is removed only when you restart the PL GUI.  This seems to happen on my system every time I make a change that should be reflected in that column.

Jeremy Collake

Ah, thanks for the bug report. In testing, I don't see this happening in every case, but will investigate why/how/when it is occurring and get it fixed.

Jeremy Collake

I'm going to try to figure out when this is occurring today. I don't see it here, but haven't tried all possible configurations and OSes yet. You are apparently able to reproduce it with ease, so I need to figure out what is different between our setups. Are you willing to send me your INI file? It may speed the process. In my book, this is an important bug.

On other news, I fixed another issue today -- the occasional lack of process icons. This little quirk has been around for a while, and was simply a timing issue. When the GUI is open as a process loads, the attempt to retrieve the icon can fail -- depending at what point during the load process it catches the process. I should have fixed it long ago, but I say that about everything ;).

Scott

I'll send you my INI file in about 4 seconds from now...

Sent!

TYVM for your interest in the issues I bring up.

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for the quick response ;) With luck, I'll get this fixed up today.

Jeremy Collake

I figured I'd test with your configuration file, just to be thorough. However, it doesn't appear to have shed any light on how this is happening. I still haven't reproduced the errata.

I've thought about it some, and have some questions to help determine how this is occurring. Please answer these at your leisure, I certainly appreciate your time.

Q: Does changing of any other unrelated configuration item sometimes cause the process rules column to update to its correct state? For instance, try toggling 'Exit GUI on window close' a few times.
Q: Are you running the core engine as a service?
Q: Are there two or more instances of the governor running on the system? (maybe one as as service and one as a normal process?)
Q: Is another user logged into the system? If so, do they also have Process Lasso running?
Q: You are using the latest final version, or a newer beta, right? I'm sure you are, but ask because this problem did occur several versions back.

Thank again for your continued support and bug reports, it is really helpful ;)

Scott

Quote from: jeremy.collake on March 07, 2009, 12:42:23 PM
Q: Does changing of any other unrelated configuration item sometimes cause the process rules column to update to its correct state? For instance, try toggling 'Exit GUI on window close' a few times.
Sorry, no.  Toggling that option (after making a change that should be reflected in the process rule column) doesn't update the column.

Quote from: jeremy.collakeQ: Are you running the core engine as a service?
Yes.

Quote from: jeremy.collakeQ: Are there two or more instances of the governor running on the system? (maybe one as as service and one as a normal process?)
Nope, just the one (the service).

Quote from: jeremy.collakeQ: Is another user logged into the system? If so, do they also have Process Lasso running?
No, just my user, and the system users that svchost.exe runs under (SYSTEM and NETWORK SERVICE).

Quote from: jeremy.collakeQ: You are using the latest final version, or a newer beta, right? I'm sure you are, but ask because this problem did occur several versions back.
At the moment, I'm running 3.48.4.  I'll try the latest and see what happens...

OK, I tried 3.51.2 beta, and the problem is still there.

Quote from: jeremy.collakeThank again for your continued support and bug reports, it is really helpful ;)
You're very welcome! :)