Affinity exclusiveness?

Started by JamesG269, August 20, 2012, 12:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesG269

I just bought into Process Lasso Pro, and am really happy with it. I did have a suggestion, and a question though. The suggestion is, would it be possible to add an 'affinity exclusive' setting, such that, when a specified/selected program is running, it will be the only program that could run on the selected cores (not all of course). I think this would be useful for certain software like media players and games. I'm not a kernel hacker though so I don't know how useful or effective it would be (can you even exclude Windows system processes from a core, or will Windows tell you to get lost?) I envision using this on MPC-HC when watching Blu-ray rips to set its affinity to core 4 and 5, and make sure nothing else runs on those cores while MPC-HC is running.  Edit: Looking at ProBalance, it seems to have something like this? But I'd like it not based on cpu/memory usage, and permanent.

My question is, I understand 'critical' I/O priority is for the pagefile, but is it not even possible to assign that priority to a user process? I can understand if it's dangerous if the program has an error or maybe other cases, but my usage is such that media playback is more important than anything else, and if it even offers a theoretical benefit, I'd like to be able to try it to ensure smoothest possible playback. Thanks, and great program.

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for your support ;).

You've caught me at a semi-bad time, with my wife huffing and puffing something about our anniversary ;p. So, I'll be dragged away soon and am making this quick.

Anyway:

#1: This is possible, but not desired. The scheduler will automatically avoid any core that is occupied, thus if whatever you have on that core(s) is using it, the scheduler should automatically stay away from it. If it isn't using the assigned core(s), then they again become free for use. This isn't exactly what you want, but is pretty close, and as close as I think you should go.

#2: There is no programmatic way to do this, short of patching critical system files.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Victek

Quote from: bitsum.support on August 20, 2012, 11:51:13 AM

You've caught me at a semi-bad time, with my wife huffing and puffing something about our anniversary ;p. So, I'll be dragged away soon and am making this quick

Ah, another kind of process management :-)

Jeremy Collake

LOL, yes indeed ;p. I'm back, was a quick trip by mandate, I have work to do. I dunno if it is good or bad that I'd rather be working than on a trip with my wife, but I do enjoy my work (most of the time). Support is likely the hardest part, that and bug testing ;p. I'll be catching up on all forum and work items today.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.