Same scheduler CPU monopolization effects seen in Windows NT 6.2 scheduler

Started by Jeremy Collake, August 25, 2012, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

Tests have confirmed the exact same scheduler 'deficiencies' that ProBalance addresses are present in the NT 6.2 CPU scheduler. That is Windows 8, Windows 8 Enterprise, and Windows 2012. Overall, the OS is a bit more snappy, but not due to an improvement to the CPU scheduler.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

So we still getting less from the real performance of Bulldozer?
If the answer is yes, patch/windows 9 I think....

Jeremy Collake

The answer is a 100% Yes. As far as I can tell, and as far as I've seen, there are no changes from the Windows 7 hotfix to the scheduler that handled the AMD Bulldozer. Now maybe they tweaked it a little further, maybe tuned down core parking by default, but it is still subject to very easy CPU monopolization, which is the only test I ran on that CPU.

BenYeeHua

And so this is why it named as NT 6.2  ;D
QuoteNow maybe they tweaked it a little further, maybe tuned down core parking by default,
This recall me about this test
http://diit.cz/clanek/core-parking-difference-in-windows-7-and-windows-8
So is the final version of windows 8 will getting bad when you setting the process affinity to 10101010, but it still parking it sometimes?  :o
And we still getting performance with 11110000 as windows 7 will parking the HT core, but not in windows 8?

Jeremy Collake

Yes, that is why it is NT 6.2. It is a-kin to them slapping Windows on top of DOS back in the day. They slapped Metro on top of Windows 7+1. However, there are lots of new cool things, and lots of new technologies for me to learn. Staying so busy, I need to take about a month off and just spend time catching up on studying. That is one bad thing about my profession, it changes so rapidly your education never ends :o.

I can't speak for the behavior of the core parking, if there are differences, as I've not fully researched the changes. PowerCfg.exe has the capability to dump all settings, even undocumented ones. There are a couple undocumented ones related to core parking, and it would be interesting to know if the default changed between Windows 7 and 8. I will have to check.

That is a VERY interesting link you posted. I am glad to see people are researching this, and Process Lasso is just the tool they'll need to take advantage of their findings ;)

BenYeeHua

QuoteThat is a VERY interesting link you posted. I am glad to see people are researching this, and Process Lasso is just the tool they'll need to take advantage of their findings ;)
Yup, having some software to fix the defect of OS and just some simple clicking, here you go~
No need set the value of core-parking with difference power plan and manual changing it, just let PL doing it, if wanna the core-parking disable always with some software, just set the process with that power plan~ ;)
-----
Doing research only by 1 person is very hard, just because lack of money and mostly they don't believe you and say that this is snake oil, placebo :o
-----
With the help of the Google(to find that forum that discussing core-parking) and forum(1 person that able to read that language and giving the prove), if not, how can I found the research when that website is using other language that I don't know  ;)

QuoteThat is one bad thing about my profession, it changes so rapidly your education never ends :o.
Ya, and now I am think that I wanna to learning ICT or not....
The most strengths of my skill is, searching, troubleshooting and optimizing....
I don't know that I has the ability to learning more depth about ICT or not....