Interface and settings. First time use questions.

Started by John Peterson, September 02, 2012, 08:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Peterson

• Where are the "don't ask me again" settings saved?
• Does superusers like when programs save files or settings outside the program folder without saying where?
• Why can't I start ProcessLasso.exe non-minimized?
• Why aren't the current settings saved to the ini when selecting ini file location?
• Why can't I reach the ini file location setting window directly?
• Why is the question "Process Lasso must be restarted for these changes to take effect. Do you want it to restart now?" called when "Exit without applying changes" is selected?
• Why distribute the binary in a nsis archive instead of a rar archive?

Thanks!

BenYeeHua

PS:I am not the staff  ;)
Quote• Where are the "don't ask me again" settings saved?
I don't know, but maybe inside the INI
Because it is nothing inside the Registry.
Quote• Does superusers like when programs save files or settings outside the program folder without saying where?
Nope, because some software don't giving the function to restart to default/INI having some hidden settings...
And some software is uninstall not so clean.
Quote• Why distribute the binary in a NSIS archive instead of a rar archive?
This question is not for me.  ;D
Quote• Why can't I start ProcessLasso.exe non-minimized?
ProcessLasso.exe start with minimized when boot, but it is showing its window when you running it manual.
Quote• Why aren't the current settings saved to the ini when selecting ini file location?
So when you choosing the file location that having your old/backup settings, it will loading the old/backup settings instead of saving the default settings on it  ;)
Quote• Why can't I reach the ini file location setting window directly?
Because you can manual edit it by clicking on Options-Advanced tools-Manually edit the current INI configuration file.
So why you need to open the folder and double click on it?
Quote• Why is the question "Process Lasso must be restarted for these changes to take effect. Do you want it to restart now?" called when "Exit without applying changes" is selected?
I think it might be bug.
Because if you clicking on the next button, it has the setting changed.

Has a nice day :)

bertie97

To add 10c to BenYeeHuas' answer

Quote• Where are the "don't ask me again" settings saved?
these settings can be reset via the options->general dialog

Quote• Why can't I start ProcessLasso.exe non-minimized?
Full window uses more resources - you just click on the minimized icon to access the full interface when req'd.

If you need to manually find the ini instead of editing through PLs own options try here:-
..username..AppData\Roaming\ProcessLasso

The actual destination on your system is discoverable via the ini edit in PLs advanced options.  I believe the point of having external ini's is to allow separate user profiles.  If the system is in a multi-user environment this makes sense as each user has opportunity to tweak his environment to personal preferences.

NSIS - Does WinRAR offer the req'd scripting options for a 'multi-point' install?  I didn't think it was as versatile but I may be wrong.  (the author is  better placed to answer - this is just my observation.)

BenYeeHua

QuoteBenYeeHuas' answer
I think you putting the ' after the s is meaning that.
They are many BenYeeHua outside there  :P

bertie97

Quote from: BenYeeHua on September 02, 2012, 01:06:00 PM
I think you putting the ' after the s is meaning that.
They are many BenYeeHua outside there  :P

You mean I don't need to explain this then?

Originally in "Proper English"
s'  - denotes ownership
's  - denotes missing letter(s)
->
The dogs' bone  (his bone)
The dog's in the dog-house  (dog is)

As we will soon be reprimanded for flooding threads with irrelevant comments -
we need a special Bitsum EN<-> CN Translation forum.  :P

Hotrod

Actually.."dog's bone" can mean missing letters.. ie dog is bone...OR ... it can mean a possession belonging to a single dog ... ie the dog owns a bone.

"dogs' bone" means several dogs own a single bone.

"dogs' bones" means several bones belonging to several dogs.

In places where a singular subject name ends in s.....then we default to s' instead of s's....as a grammatical shortcut. ie... "Optimus' Cybertron" denotes a planet belonging to (singular)Optimus.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Hotrod on September 02, 2012, 02:31:04 PM
I means this~
It means in this world, having several of me  ;D

QuoteIn places where a singular subject name ends in s.....then we default to s' instead of s's....as a grammatical shortcut. ie... "Optimus' Cybertron" denotes a planet belonging to (singular)Optimus.
Learned, thank  ;)

bertie97

Quote from: Hotrod on September 02, 2012, 02:31:04 PM
Actually.."dog's bone" can mean missing letters.. ie dog is bone...OR ... it can mean a possession belonging to a single dog ... ie the dog owns a bone.

"dogs' bones" means several bones belonging to several dogs.

In places where a singular subject name ends in s.....then we default to s' instead of s's....as a grammatical shortcut. ie... "Optimus' Cybertron" denotes a planet belonging to (singular)Optimus.

Depends when & where you learnt English.
There was a movement in the 90s' (I believe) which stopped teaching the s' formats' existence (& this original format has now been reintroduced in some places).

QuotePossessive apostrophe

The apostrophe is used to indicate possession. This convention distinguishes possessive singular forms (Bernadette's, flower's, glass's, one's) from simple plural forms (Bernadettes, flowers, glasses, ones), and both of those from possessive plural forms (Bernadettes', flowers', glasses', ones'). For singulars, the modern possessive or genitive inflection is a survival from certain genitive inflections in Old English, and the apostrophe originally marked the loss of the old e (for example, lambes became lamb's).

Middle English: -
Dog or dogge (dogges -> dog's); however dogge is "normally" used as a term of abuse & dog would refer to the animal.
Ergo I went with dogs' not wishing to cause affront  ;D

BenYeeHua was also correct in his assertion of being many  ;)  Presumably a clan leader!

& now I really do need to be banned for OT linguistic posts!  :'(

In my defence I will say anyone typing code needs to get every character in the right place OR ELSE!  :D

BenYeeHua

QuoteBenYeeHua was also correct in his assertion of being many  ;)  Presumably a clan leader!
No, because I has listen in the English class, and the teacher having a good English, as she reads Newspaper in English a long time ago.
I like to work at the backstage of the stage rather than standing on the stage
----
Quote& now I really do need to be banned for OT linguistic posts!  :'(
At whatever forum, we always talking OT.
----
QuoteIn my defence I will say anyone typing code needs to get every character in the right place OR ELSE!  :D
Think first, then do it  ;)

Jeremy Collake

Sorry for my late reply, I have been working here on the next final, and \they were giving you guidance here (and Chinese lessons, lol). Let me give you official answers ;p.

Quote from: John Peterson on September 02, 2012, 08:18:18 AM
• Where are the "don't ask me again" settings saved?

The registry. In HKCU\Software\ProcessLasso\ProcessLasso.exe

• Does superusers like when programs save files or settings outside the program folder without saying where?

It stores things in the Microsoft recommend storage locations. Specifically, a subfolder of the user's Application Data folder named 'ProcessLasso', and the appropriate location in the registry. No hidden or non-standard locations. This is where superusers would look for *any* application to store its data, at least any modern application. This is also listed during install, and accessible in the aforementioned menu options.

• Why can't I start ProcessLasso.exe non-minimized?

You can. With the command line option  '/showwindow' if needed, though it should launch with the window shown, except at boot, when such is not desired (by most).

• Why aren't the current settings saved to the ini when selecting ini file location?

It is preferred to export, then import if doing that.. but I will evaluate this sort of condition and see what improvements may need to be made.

• Why can't I reach the ini file location setting window directly?

You can, though it opens notepad. See Options/Advanced. Alternatively, see Log/Jump to log on Disk, since they are by default in the same location

• Why is the question "Process Lasso must be restarted for these changes to take effect. Do you want it to restart now?" called when "Exit without applying changes" is selected?

I must evaluate this. When is it you see this?

• Why distribute the binary in a nsis archive instead of a rar archive?

Because NSIS is a scripted installer, not a simple archive.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Quote• Why is the question "Process Lasso must be restarted for these changes to take effect. Do you want it to restart now?" called when "Exit without applying changes" is selected?

I must evaluate this. When is it you see this?
Just by clicking the "Reconfigure the way Process Lasso starts..."
And click the close button,showing "Exit without applying changes", click Yes.
You will see it.  ;)

Jeremy Collake

Oh, yes, I must fix that. Thank you! It is difficult to test all logic paths in the UI at times :o.

Jeremy Collake

I forgot to mention, in addition to the Installer's optional custom specification of the INI and LOG storage path, and the direct ability to open, or jump to, them, respectively in the GUI, there is also the listing of them in the About Box. Ala:

BenYeeHua

You are welcome  ;)
And most of user will not clicking "about software" to check the information inside there.

Jeremy Collake

I am addressing the issue with Process Lasso wanting to restart after an InstallHelper.exe launch, even if no changes were applied. It is, of course, because IntellHelper.exe must pass back whether any information was changed via its exit status, and Process Lasso must take notice. This system existed, but was not functioning before. I still consider it a minor issue, as there isn't normally a need to make such core installation changes very often.

BenYeeHua

And added into todo list  ;D
----
Just install PL into netbook, the Gui is eating 7-15% of CPU usage.(when showing window)
If I scrolling it, it can eating until 49%.
Intel Atom Processor N450 here ;)
----
With minimize into tray, no problem.

Jeremy Collake

Yes, when it is in view, all the listview updates require a lot of CPU cycles. That is why for most netbooks it does also hide the graph by default, to save a few more. Netbooks have very little CPU power, for the operation needed anyway. As you notice, when minimized, it is much better. Also notice how the more you move your mouse around the listview, the more it uses. That shows you it is Windows that is needing those CPU cycles just to keep up with your actions.

Anyway, at least, by design, when minimized it is mostly sleeping down there. Also, the core engine, run independently, consumes as few as you'll be able to get - given the operations it needs to do (you'd be hard pressed to find a PC where it makes a big dent ;p).

All that said, as far as the graph *and* listview updates go, I am constantly trying to make them faster, and working on ways to do so. So, instead of getting slower, as many software does, Process Lasso *is* getting faster, or staying about the same, to the extent I can make such possible given the addition of features. My normal rule is that if I can't add it without avoiding performance penalties, I won't add it.

BenYeeHua

Ya, optimize is one of the important thing to do.
So you can save it and let other program to use it. ;)

Jeremy Collake

That is why it is written in native C++ and not C# or C++/.NET , after all ;). Also, it is designed with the idea that the user normally keep the GUI minimized to the system tray, if running at all (their option). There really are much better tools built into Windows Vista to monitor the system status, such as the Resource Monitor in Vista/7, and/or the enhanced Task Manager of Windows 8. That said, it is fine to leave the GUI window visible, but on low power devices, it will consume a bit of CPU cycles for sure. Fortunately, there is absolutely no need or, really, function for keeping it persistently visible.

BenYeeHua

Ya, because just clicking on the PL tray icon, it only need 0.1s to show the process that eating  ;)
And the log also showing which process had eat.