About the p-cores and e-cores and the operating system.

Started by Robertomcat, October 04, 2024, 12:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertomcat

Hello, good afternoon.

I currently have eight computers with the 10900K processor, and at the time I bought the volume license to be able to optimize them all.

These days I am thinking of adding a new computer with the 14th generation processor with the powerful and efficient cores.

The question is if I could make the operating system only work with the e-cores and a specific program that I want to run, only do it on the p-cores.
I think it is not going to be possible, but before abandoning the project, I had to ask you guys who are the experts.

Thank you very much.

Jeremy Collake

You can make it happen, but I can't speak to how performant the end result will be because many OS threads are better off on the P-cores.

Using Process Lasso, here's how to restrict your entire system to E-cores, except for processes you specifically allow to use the P-cores:

1. Open menu item "Options / Tools / System Reserved CPU Sets". Select all your P-cores, as shown in the screenshot attached. Reboot.
2. Open menu item "Options / CPU / CPU Affinities..." to set P-core affinities for the process(es) you want to use the P-cores.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Robertomcat

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on October 04, 2024, 12:37:40 PMYou can make it happen, but I can't speak to how performant the end result will be because many OS threads are better off on the P-cores.

Using Process Lasso, here's how to restrict your entire system to E-cores, except for processes you specifically allow to use the P-cores:

1. Open menu item "Options / Tools / System Reserved CPU Sets". Select all your P-cores, as shown in the screenshot attached. Reboot.
2. Open menu item "Options / CPU / CPU Affinities..." to set P-core affinities for the process(es) you want to use the P-cores.
Thank you very much for your help, it has been of great help to me because I did not know of its existence.

But I have another question that has come to my mind now. If I then installed any program outside the operating system, it will also be restricted to use the ecores? I say this in case I then have to apply the rule to the software so that it only uses the pcores.

Jeremy Collake

Yes, after setting the Reserved CPU Sets, all installed applications, in addition to the OS, will be restricted to the E-cores. Only processes that you create CPU affinity rules for will use the P-cores.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Robertomcat

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on October 04, 2024, 01:58:19 PMYes, all programs, whether installed at the time of setting the Reserved CPU Sets or later, will be restricted to the E-cores. Only processes that you create CPU affinity rules for will use the P-cores.
Ok, thanks!