How about REALLY silent updates?

Started by NewRaven, December 19, 2012, 05:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewRaven

I use PL a long time now, but, since it happened a few minutes ago, this is the first time I don't forgot to post this long overdue feature request.

I want... no, actually I NEED PL to update itself silent or at least without stealing the focus on other fullscreen applications. Honestly, its a real pain when an update gets installed, every program (includes fullscreen applications, games, even video players) lose focus because your more or less useful update-window... especially on some games (Oblivion, Skyrim) its not only annoying, its terrible because these apps tend to crash on task switches. Not to mention some online games some people might play...

So I hope I get some solution for this without disabling the automatic update completely. Thanks :)

BenYeeHua

Jeremy Collake

I actually was thinking about this the other night.. why have it show a message box at all since it is automated with no user input? So, I am working on it! I just have to be careful, because a screw up would be a massive one, so it must be tested well.

So you mind the balloon popup letting you know an update happened?
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

NewRaven

A balloon message in systray is fine (as long as you don't find a way to to even let that one steal the focus ;) ), a non-active background-window would do it for me also. I try hard to even understand, why the current window has to be an active, foreground window at all in the first place... besides that focus stuff ;) So any change, whatever you decide, would be very appreciated :) And no need to hurry, its bugging us a long time now, we can wait another few weeks :)

Jeremy Collake

I can do NOW.. how about that? I mean, what's the difference between showing dialogs that self-close, or hiding them? Nothing ;). Sooner I do it, sooner I get to testing...

Jeremy Collake

I have put it in the beta I am building now ... then I'll be testing it, and have a final tomorrow (hopefully with new translation updates).

BenYeeHua

1.Manual update, just like now, but the update window is not foreground(not on top always)
2.Automatic check for update, but balloon popup to let user wanna update now, or later, after clicking the balloon, popup new balloon saying updating
3.Automatic update without asking(Automatically keep PL up to date), but popup balloon saying updating
After update, balloon popup for change log just like now
:)

NewRaven

NOW sounds even better, thank you. :) But shouldn't WE ask YOU what's the difference between showing dialogs with no user interaction that self-close or hiding them? You probably must have seen a sense there some time ago ;)

Jeremy Collake

It was added incrementally. So, the most optimal decisions were not made for the whole based on time constraints and pragmatism.

The technical difference between showing the windows that just fly by and hiding them is just that. That are hundreds or thousands of windows on your Windows PC that are hidden from user view (intentionally). They are a means for Windows applications to communicate with themselves and each other.

BenYeeHua

Ya, some software that using the task to update is stole the focus with hidden windows. :)

Jeremy Collake

Needs some adjustments still, but we're almost there. Will be by next final, then upgrades after that are totally silent except balloon tooltip. May even default to this, or make option more prominent.

BenYeeHua

Ya, maybe you can give a choose to completely silent updates, without a balloon tooltip. :)
But I think it might less people hiding it, as they like to know what their software is "doing" ;)

Jeremy Collake

I could simply add more balloon tips, mimicking what Microsoft does - including its options.

BenYeeHua

Don't mimicking too over. ;)
----
They also using the "action center" too.

NewRaven

Okay, the update rolled in here....so, I guess with the next update I will see your changes... this time, the update windowed appeared as it always did :)

Jeremy Collake

Correction: ONE of the TWO update windows displayed ;p. The first one skips by pretty fast, so maybe you didn't notice it before. Yes, I'm still working on it :o. So much to do ... Had to move forward on this build, other considerations. Don't worry, it won't be long for fully silent update.

Jeremy Collake

.30 was just a 'clean up the language mess' release because I had too many people using a/b/c of .28. I have a lot more done already - bigger things like making sure these totally silent updates work (it is coded, just needs a balloon while downloading so that people know what it is doing before I hide that window).

Will reveal in a beta ASAP ...