MS power config settings

Started by edkiefer, December 31, 2012, 11:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edkiefer

Since PL has option to set power-config mode per app/process , which I could see being real helpful in laptop, mobile devices (setting default to energy-low power and then setting certain app/processes to balance or HP modes .

What I like to know peoples experience with a specific aspect of MS power management , Process power management >Min process state option .

I would like to know or get any feed back on the difference in balanced power setting (0% min) and say HP one (100%) .
I setup my default now with custom HP with the process power management set to 45% min . This allows the cpu speed to scale from 1600 up to max . I run speedstep and other power options on in bios . so when going to true HP mode as soon as cpu is needed the speed jumps from 1600> max , instead of 1600, 1800 2200 etc and up .

I tried to run some test but not sure which app test be good . I would think something that is multi threaded but doesn't go to max all time . IMO this leave prime95 out . I tried super Pi , and after testing 5x each test I did get better results with HP mode but were talking tenth's of sec in 512k test for example . I wonder if any other real world apps would show some benefit from this .
Maybe some games might if there some lag/latency in it were HP might help . I like to hear anyones feedback on this .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

For bad optimize software/game, and real time software.
100%(Turbo boost frequency)is getting better than 5%(tested with planetside 2, on a place where jumping between CPU/GPU, getting GPU after setting to 100%)
So the answer is yes, all apps can get performance from 100%, with just wasting some power for the performance.

If you don't wanna set it into 100%, you can setup how many % to up-scaling the frequency. ;)

edkiefer

Ok , I was thinking the only real app would be a game as that would be only type in general any delay or latency would be felt . Other app w/o user input you probably not notice the speed improvement .

I do have it set to 45% now using HP as templet . I don't get any issues in any games now so not sure I see any change but I'll try it for few days .
Just wondering if its worth setting it up like that per app .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua