Next beta series will have several additions

Started by Jeremy Collake, April 14, 2009, 05:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

I'm happy to report that I've finally moved on from the last stable branch and am implemented a wide array of planned new features. I am sure that everyone will be pleasantly surprised. The first few betas will not include all the new capabilities, but they will be gradually introduced throughout the beta series. Feedback is welcome.

I anticipate releasing an early preview within the next 12 hours. Process Lasso is going to be moving to the next level. Of course, there are further levels planned beyond this even ;).

New additions include, but are not limited to:

• Ability to enforce hard limits of CPU utilization by processes
  • Ability to suspend processes
  • More process information columns
  • A thread management tab (lower view)

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

neal1047

Greetings from AK!! I just found your products and WOW - what a great idea you have! I'll get on to your BETA release when I find it  ;)

Looks like you offer a very fair deal on your product. On my laptop I have XP SP3 and XPx64 SP2. Am I required to have two licenses?
Neal Laugman

Neal Technical Services,  Healy, AK

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: neal1047 on April 15, 2009, 10:50:55 AM
Greetings from AK!! I just found your products and WOW - what a great idea you have! I'll get on to your BETA release when I find it  ;)

Looks like you offer a very fair deal on your product. On my laptop I have XP SP3 and XPx64 SP2. Am I required to have two licenses?

Thanks ;). I am still working on this next beta. It looks like the first release will be an alpha, as I still have plenty of work to do. I worry about misuse of the throttling feature, but I added plenty of warnings to mitigate that.

To answer your question, you only need to purchase one license.

neal1047

Quote from: jeremy.collake on April 15, 2009, 10:55:48 AM

Thanks ;) . I am still working on this next beta. It looks like the first release will be an alpha, as I still have plenty of work to do. I worry about misuse of the throttling feature, but I added plenty of warnings to mitigate that.

I'll bet you can bring things to a halt quickly if you don't know the neighborhood you're in.

Quote from: jeremy.collake on April 15, 2009, 10:55:48 AM
To answer your question, you only need to purchase one license.
I want to do my part. I know what it's like being a small shop. A guy needs to eat once or twice a week :D

If I were to promote your product with some of my customers - which are a relatively small lot - what would be a license/purchase solution other than the Unlimited installs and users for $1699?
Neal Laugman

Jeremy Collake

The first alpha preview is available. I really rushed this out, and disabled most new features in the x64 build. There is so much work left to do, I probably should have waited .. but, I have a tax return to do and couldn't 'relax' until I had an alpha out for certain people to play with. I made sure that it won't be pushed out as an update to any users, even those who include betas in their update checks.

If I were to promote your product with some of my customers - which are a relatively small lot - what would be a license/purchase solution other than the Unlimited installs and users for $1699?

Can you please clarify your question? My brain may have been broken from this terribly long coding session, I'm sorry.

It may be off topic (or maybe not), but I also have an affiliate system I plan to introduce soon. For cases like yours, it may help us both profit from Process Lasso. For each customer you convinced to purchase Process Lasso, you'd get a good portion of the revenue. More details to come later.. I am REALLY brain dead right now, need food ;o.

Jeremy Collake

I think I understand your question now ;). I am happy to provide you with a discount in exchange for promotion, if that is what you mean. The site license is intended for large companies that can afford such a license. We will need to discuss this privately via email. I will email you later today if you don't mind.

Thanks for your support.

neal1047

Quote from: jeremy.collake on April 15, 2009, 01:44:38 PM
I think I understand your question now ;). I am happy to provide you with a discount in exchange for promotion, if that is what you mean. The site license is intended for large companies that can afford such a license. We will need to discuss this privately via email. I will email you later today if you don't mind.

Thanks for your support.
Not a problem. I got on board with your great 2fer lifetime license deal for the laptop. Give your poor brain a break. No major hurry ... I am just excited about this product! Affiliation or whatever sounds good. Snow's still onthe ground here (how's that for a metaphor) and everyone is just starting to wake up to spring. :) Life is good.
Neal Laugman

Jeremy Collake

I pulled the alpha release, as I found it to be too buggy to be acceptable. I do not want to hurt the product image.

Here is what I am doing:

1. Finishing work on this new alpha, adding lots of new features -- catching up on deferred feature requests. Everything is eligible for rewrites/overhauls/additions.
2. Back-porting fixes and language updates to the latest stable branch (so, you'll see v3.54.8 soon). This will be the first time I've used this capability to go back and update older versions, but its about time I started doing just this. This allows me to rush less through beta series, as I can back-port any important fixes to the last final.

There will probably be a new alpha some time tomorrow, assuming I feel confident in it at that time. Today will be spent getting v3.54.8 ready. Saturday I have other work I am obligated to do, but early next week the new alpha/beta should start progressing rapidly.

Update: Eager beavers can get the latest alpha build here - http://www.bitsum.com/forum/index.php?topic=285.0 .

neal1047

"Eager beaver," huh? ;D Once in a while I end up involved in product testing with a product or two. I think your app here has interesting possibilities, plus it always looks good to customers if you can point back to the product and show them your commitment to it.

Sounds like you have a good VCS, but I was wondering if you have a buglist, Trac, or whatever that you can share. Or maybe you do this already with testers and handle it privately. You obviously know what you are looking for, but I have not seen it yet  ;D
Neal Laugman

Jeremy Collake

I do not currently have a public bug/issue/feature tracking system like Trac. I briefly set up Mantis bug tracker at one time, but it didn't suit my needs, nor did it work very well. After using Trac on several open source projects of mine, nothing else seems to compare.

I do have a personal issue tracking system, though its more like a very large todo list. I can not share it, as its not been cleaned up for public consumption. I must admit this is the one area of my development practices that I am still deficient in. I hope to have a public issue tracking system in place sooner or later, there is just so much to do.

As you noticed, I do have a use a version control system, namely Subversion. I've had in place for a few years now. Many years ago I operated without one, and I don't know how I survived.

One of the many great things about a VCS is that before I commit new changes to the repository, I review the DIFF, doing a manual walk-through and verifying the code/docs/string changes. Without that, I would inevitably miss many accidental mistakes/typos/etc... In fact, the one time I skipped a DIFF on a Japanese strings update in v3.54.7, I didn't notice a reverted/missing string ('Gaming mode'), resulting in an English string popping out in the Japanese system tray menu ;o. I could blame this on the translator sending me a reverted strings file, but the fact is that it was my mistake for breaking standard operating procedure. The one time I got lazy, lol.. Funny how life is like that, and I swear it really was the one time I skipped checking the strings commit, hehe.

Of course, I could go on about the other great things about using SVN, but I need to just get to work ;).

Jeremy Collake

I just got done implementing the 'current CPU throttling' (one time, single instance) capability. In the prior build, I had only the default/persistent throttling included. I am getting ready to go do some testing and fixing in x64, then I will release a new alpha for the day. This one will be much closer to a beta.

One of the remaining tasks I want to do is have the graph display the cumulative CPU utilization history of processes that are selected. For instance, select 1 (or 14) processes in the list, and their cumulative CPU utilization will be drawn on the graph in a new color. Of course, the graph is already quite crowded, but since this will only be shown when processes are selected, I hope it won't make it too difficult to read.

neal1047

(Catching up)

QuoteI do not currently have a public bug/issue/feature tracking system like Trac. I briefly set up Mantis bug tracker at one time, but it didn't suit my needs, nor did it work very well. After using Trac on several open source projects of mine, nothing else seems to compare.

I do have a personal issue tracking system, though its more like a very large todo list. I can not share it, as its not been cleaned up for public consumption. I must admit this is the one area of my development practices that I am still deficient in. I hope to have a public issue tracking system in place sooner or later, there is just so much to do.

I understand the issues about a publicly open buglist with a proprietary program and understand the difficulties involve. We get spoiled with open-source projects. Guess Iwas just looking for a heads-up on what to be on the lookout for.

The laptop I use all the time is an Acer Ferarri 4000 circa early 2006. It was maybe the first production unit to be x64 ready. I run *lots* of stuff at a time and have been using Process Explorer forever to help in that area. The rig is dual-boot with XP i386 as the other OS. Since using PL, it does not seen to choke as much as it did. I would like to not use Process Explorer and save the cycles.

I just got done implementing the 'current CPU throttling' (one time, single instance) capability. In the prior build, I had only the default/persistent throttling included. I am getting ready to go do some testing and fixing in x64, then I will release a new alpha for the day. This one will be much closer to a beta.

I'm ready  :)

The Process Loop graph

QuoteOne of the remaining tasks I want to do is have the graph display the cumulative CPU utilization history of processes that are selected. For instance, select 1 (or 14) processes in the list, and their cumulative CPU utilization will be drawn on the graph in a new color. Of course, the graph is already quite crowded, but since this will only be shown when processes are selected, I hope it won't make it too difficult to read.

That would be really cool! As a n00b with your product, one of the first things I though of when I saw the color change on the graph when the limiting action occurred (kind of like a peak/limiter in audio parlance) was to move the mouse cursor over the restraining action. I was curious what got restrained and by how much. Just a thought for a tooltip or something.

I don't know what kind of component/library you are using for the graph, but when I was building Delphi database apps, I used T-Charts by Steema. It is an unbelievable library, stable, affordable, and extremely low CPU usage for what's being done. This guy has been at it since 1995, when Delphi first appeared. Anyhow, you might whatn to take a look at it - it might give you some ideas ...
Neal Laugman

Jeremy Collake

Good morning to you ;).

Quote from: neal1047 on April 17, 2009, 11:36:09 PM
I understand the issues about a publicly open buglist with a proprietary program and understand the difficulties involve. We get spoiled with open-source projects. Guess Iwas just looking for a heads-up on what to be on the lookout for.

For me, it isn't so much trying to hide any trade secrets (though I do have a couple ;p), it is just the overhead involved in setting up a public bug tracker. I haven't had the time to set it up, and once I do, there is additional maintainence overhead in simply tracking bugs. Still, I hope to eventually have one.

The laptop I use all the time is an Acer Ferarri 4000 circa early 2006. It was maybe the first production unit to be x64 ready. I run *lots* of stuff at a time and have been using Process Explorer forever to help in that area. The rig is dual-boot with XP i386 as the other OS. Since using PL, it does not seen to choke as much as it did. I would like to not use Process Explorer and save the cycles.

Process Lasso's ProBalance algorithm really does work, so the tendency to choke less is not in your imagination. The trouble I've had is finding just the right default values for each system. I am trying to better self-configure with each release. I end up having to use the least aggressive defaults, out of caution. For most people, the aggressiveness of ProBalance could/should be tuned up (lower per-process CPU usage quota and time over quota before restraint).

That would be really cool! As a n00b with your product, one of the first things I though of when I saw the color change on the graph when the limiting action occurred (kind of like a peak/limiter in audio parlance) was to move the mouse cursor over the restraining action. I was curious what got restrained and by how much. Just a thought for a tooltip or something.

Yes, that is something others have requested as well. I plan to work on that.. perhaps this alpha is the perfect time to do it.

I don't know what kind of component/library you are using for the graph, but when I was building Delphi database apps, I used T-Charts by Steema. It is an unbelievable library, stable, affordable, and extremely low CPU usage for what's being done. This guy has been at it since 1995, when Delphi first appeared. Anyhow, you might whatn to take a look at it - it might give you some ideas ...

I will definitely take a look and see if I can gather any good ideas ;). One of the reasons the GUI is lacking in some areas is that I don't use any third party components, with the exception of the XMessageBox code (the 'do not show again' message boxes). The graph is 'hand drawn' with Microsoft GDI APIs. Mostly, it comes down to what I have the time and impetus to implement.

As for what bugs to look for in v3.55.3 alpha.. right now, I'm just looking for anything that doesn't work like its supposed to. This build isn't ready for more thorough testing. I already noticed a possible new memory leak in the alpha. Naturally, I take those extremely seriously and each final is leak tested.

Whether or not I keep that new threads tab, I don't know... I suppose I will. I also have the code for a modules and handles tab, and don't have them enabled only because they seem outside Process Lasso's scope (they were, however, included in several versions a year or so ago).

Anyway, thanks again for the support and feedback.

Jeremy Collake

Ok, v3.54.7 was quietly updated. I will perform another update later. There were just a couple back ported fixes.

neal1047

I've been running v3.55 alpha pretty hard in XPSP3. This guy will never be running Vista so sorry 'bout that! I can see PL working when I have several resource-hungry programs running at once, while not necessarily showing on the graph. (And you've hand-coded the win32 GDI calls for this? Very tricky. I would see AV's in my future if I were to attemp that meyself - he he he.) it The biggest gain on my laptop has been with video memory. This machine has an ATI Radeon X700 that uses shared memory. PL has somehow made a positive difference in how Windows is managing or dealing with its video memory. I know it's throttling it somehow, because TheBat's e-mail ticker window is a bit nervous (not a problem). Thought you might like to know.
Neal Laugman

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: neal1047 on April 21, 2009, 01:30:54 AM
I've been running v3.55 alpha pretty hard in XPSP3. This guy will never be running Vista so sorry 'bout that! I can see PL working when I have several resource-hungry programs running at once, while not necessarily showing on the graph. (And you've hand-coded the win32 GDI calls for this? Very tricky. I would see AV's in my future if I were to attemp that meyself - he he he.) it The biggest gain on my laptop has been with video memory. This machine has an ATI Radeon X700 that uses shared memory. PL has somehow made a positive difference in how Windows is managing or dealing with its video memory. I know it's throttling it somehow, because TheBat's e-mail ticker window is a bit nervous (not a problem). Thought you might like to know.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the reports. I don't blame you for not running Vista, though you should try Windows 7 beta -- Microsoft has really 'broken the mold' with it. It is nice, and efficient.

Anyway, do you mean the restraint events show in the log, but not on the graph? Or do you mean events aren't shown on either, but you see a difference? I'm curious about theBat's email ticker too. Were their any events in the log related to it? What do you mean by 'being nervous'.. do you mean updating in spurts?

As always, thanks for your testing, time, and support ;)

neal1047

Good morning Jeremy,

QuoteI don't blame you for not running Vista, though you should try Windows 7 beta -- Microsoft has really 'broken the mold' with it. It is nice, and efficient.

I've been keeping an eye on things and I see things as you do, but I've been lazy and ...

QuoteAnyway, do you mean the restraint events show in the log, but not on the graph? Or do you mean events aren't shown on either, but you see a difference? I'm curious about theBat's email ticker too. Were their any events in the log related to it? What do you mean by 'being nervous'.. do you mean updating in spurts?

This is TheBat's mail-ticker:

It's "nervous" in the sense that it does not scroll smoothly. It chugs every few miliseconds when it scrolls RTL and it's a pretty good indicator - even without PL - that the system is getting bogged down.

Here's a shot of Process Explorer to give you an idea of the current load it's under (running only 1GB of RAM:

Nothing shows in the log or any visual indication on the graph, but I notice it - which is not a bad thing - because that means PL is working! Even when I start up MySQL (with it's 40,000 handles) and Apache 2.x with Xampp, it still holds things together. Without PL, I'd be thinking about a restart.

Hope that helps and gives us something to chew on.
Neal Laugman

Jeremy Collake

TheBat's ticker may be less nervous with this new beta, v3.55.6. I made an important adjustment to the ProBalance algorithm. We'll see how it works out, more adjustments may be warranted. I have some more elaborate test beds to set up.

Robz

Hi just installed Beta v3.55.6 and noticed that view=>Select process columns in no longer working. Should I re-install or is something missing in this Beta? Regards Rob

neal1047

Quote from: Robz on April 24, 2009, 12:19:44 PM
Hi just installed Beta v3.55.6 and noticed that view=>Select process columns in no longer working. Should I re-install or is something missing in this Beta? Regards Rob

Works on XPsp3 - what OS are you using?
Neal Laugman

Robz

Hi Neal1047, same OS here. Just re-ran the exe and it is now working, must have been something happening locally during the install that caused it. All good now. Regards Rob

Jeremy Collake

Strange, but glad its working now. If you see this happen again, let me know. I've not seen it occur, and don't know how it would, but am concerned about any bug. Thanks!

norain

Jeremy, I purchased process lasso pro, and am very satisfied!
The ability to have hard limiting on processes has been a lifesaver for me. The computer runs multiple windows programs that run multiple dos scripts that in turn run several dos programs depending on serial port interrupts. Process Lasso has totally solved the problem with Windows ntvdm.exe and a couple of the windows programs hogging the processor to the point of losing interrupts. Now, its all running smoothly and under control. Thanks for this great product.
I love the fact that its compact in memory and simple, yet fully functional.

Jeremy Collake

I'm glad the new CPU throttling has been helpful. I should not have resisted adding it for so long. Thanks for the purchase and encouragement ;)