Gaming Experience

Started by arcanum, April 03, 2013, 01:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arcanum

Hi all,

Being a loyal customer and user of PL, i do like to share my experience of gaming with PL.

This is nothing against JC or Bitsum.

PL does not boost your games. The game mode of PL boost foreground services(aka game.exe), but many games does this in their core engines by default.

How about programs that are coded and using 4-cores?

Is it possible to "tame" programs to use 1 core only? Although those proggies are coded to utilize 4-cores? How PL intenference this?

If i set firefox to use one core only and for example winraring a big file (tamed winrar.exe to use core 2). So i have 2 cores left for some other purposes.

Oh well :)

Im a warez man. But i ALWAYS support guys like JC. One-man coder with great support caused me to buy PL :)

Kindest regards,

-arc

BenYeeHua

Just change the CPU affinity. :)
But as you say, you want the Winrar using only one core, you also need to open the Winrar setting, untick the "multi-threads".
So it reduce the chance to slow down Winrar as there are only one heavy thread running with one core, not 4 heavy threads running with one core which causing slow down for switching.(if they don't detect the CPU affinity and change/reduce it)

And yes, many game/software detect how many core you has, and decide to use how many threads.
They also boost itself and also by the OS, but I also saw some game that don't do that. ;)

PS:Firefox is mostly heavy on single thread, but they are trying to offload the jobs from main thread, which let it running faster. :)

Jeremy Collake

You're exactly right. However, Process Lasso never claimed to boost games!

It's primary role is preventing interference from potentially problematic background processes. It doesn't make anything run faster, except in cases where there was interference.

The gaming mode is simply to put your PC in a state ready to play games, with the primary function simply being changing the power profile to High Performance, and allowing other changes to the system state. It does NOT make your games run faster.

I am the *original* critic of foreground boosting, so you don't have to tell me ;p. I write about it in the About ProBalance area. I added it to the product only because users wanted it.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

(question answer ;p)

Can Process Lasso tame a single threaded application?

YES. There are some advanced settings in 'Options / ProBalance Settings / Configuration Dialog'. There, you can set ProBalance to change the CPU affinity of processes that exceeds the quota. You can also create watchdog rules. I'm not sure any of that is helpful, but just mentioning it, on the off chance you don't know about it already (you probably do).

Programs designed to use multiple cores will work just as well with one core, but be less optimal. Basically, they are using multiple threads. If multiple cores aren't available, or sometimes even if they are available, the threads will simply all get put on the same core. They then run concurrently, again as I wrote about so long ago in the, probably hard to read, About ProBalance page.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Simon

Quote from: Support on April 03, 2013, 06:22:39 PM

It's primary role is preventing interference from potentially problematic background processes. It doesn't make anything run faster, except in cases where there was interference.

The gaming mode is simply to put your PC in a state ready to play games, with the primary function simply being changing the power profile to High Performance, and allowing other changes to the system state. It does NOT make your games run faster.

I am the *original* critic of foreground boosting, so you don't have to tell me ;p. I write about it in the About ProBalance area. I added it to the product only because users wanted it.

So would Gamesbooster be the answer then or at least a program able to run along side PL's gaming/multimedia mode? Or does it do the same job in that it cuts out process and software thats not required?

I use both but wonder if i only need to use one. PL preferably.
Kind Regards

edkiefer

Quote from: Support on April 03, 2013, 06:22:39 PM

Is that implemented none ? . I have been setting up games in game mode and setting up power profiles seperately .
That might be good option when adding a game to game mode (what power profile do you want ),.A drop down type menu would help here .
Bitsum QA Engineer

edkiefer

Quote from: Sizel on April 25, 2013, 03:36:48 AM
So would Gamesbooster be the answer then or at least a program able to run along side PL's gaming/multimedia mode? Or does it do the same job in that it cuts out process and software thats not required?

I guess you could run both but main thing AFAIK with GB is shutting down what it thinks are useless services , this is very debatable results .
I have seen tests where performance went down by using a bare-bones type service configs . If you do use it just use that with no other options as some tweaks are also negative types(doesn't really help)  .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on April 25, 2013, 08:09:36 AM
I guess you could run both but main thing AFAIK with GB is shutting down what it thinks are useless services , this is very debatable results .
I have seen tests where performance went down by using a bare-bones type service configs . If you do use it just use that with no other options as some tweaks are also negative types(doesn't really help)  .
So the best ways is, try it. ;)
Compare the FPS you get in the game, by running vs without running it. :)

edkiefer

Yes, as with any configuration issue with PC's , try it an see , maybe better , maybe worse .

There just so many "10 tweaks to get xx OS running faster" type sites that most don't do much if anything .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Ya, many optimize is "in theory", so why Microsoft don't making it as default?
Because there are too much difference hardware, Microsoft want to keep the software compatibility(finally remember how to type this word ;D).
And making so many functions to services is they can stop after they finish it jobs, and one of them crash don't crash other services(but I think I never see a svchost.exe crash)and system. :)

bertie97

This brings back memories of my old ToW thread
Theatre of War 2 & 3 optimization on newer CPUs
IIRC late last year 1C, the devs, updated some core files to overcome the problems which PL alleviated.  However I still allow PL to wrangle the threads & the game is chugging along as I want it to.
My default power profile is Hi-perf & I find that gaming mode does give me the right environment & is maintaining that profile.
I can task switch back & forth quickly & have the game running perfectly - ie no lag jumping back & forth & system-wide good response where I'm accessing DBs & docs between moments of gaming.

So the bottom line for me is the PC works better with PL than without.  This means I've become a PL bore & I recommend it to everyone  ;D

BenYeeHua

Yes, Process Lasso prevent some CPU eater came out and affect your gaming experience. ;)
---
Maybe it will become Gamer recommend. ;D

bertie97

Quote from: BenYeeHua on April 26, 2013, 02:41:13 PM
Yes, Process Lasso prevent some CPU eater came out and affect your gaming experience. ;)
---
Maybe it will become Gamer recommend. ;D

And manually tweaking the environment via PL is a bonus  :)

BenYeeHua

Quote from: bertie97 on April 27, 2013, 04:53:12 AM
And manually tweaking the environment via PL is a bonus  :)
And also making us knowing more about the scheduler(Windows NT). ;)

AtlBo

Quote from: Sizel on April 25, 2013, 03:36:48 AM

Based on my usages of these two programs, I would recommend both GBoost and JetBoost along side Process Lasso.  GBoost is not a process or service shutdown type of program.  The settings do cause shutdowns, but those are just installed programs.  Native GBoost optimization is more like Process Lasso without the flexibility of configuration.  It restrains in the same way, though, and it is also a heavy lifter in that it is set to perform some pretty deep restraint.  It's not too much though.  The native qualities of JetBoost will be very rarely talked about, because the settings menu is completely based around shutting things down.  However, if you limit the shutdowns to one program process (that you would shut down to play a game, anyway) and study what the program does by itself with no shutdowns selected, it's a pretty amazing program.  It's not as deep a restrainer as GBoost, but it does have the quality of causing resources to be delivered to Explorer.exe in the form of improved mouse and keyboard functions, smoother scrolls, better windows drags, faster folder opens, and more responsive program opens.

I like to think of what these kinds of programs can do as insurance against freezes and malfunctions.  Without a doubt in my opinion, Process Lasso is the supreme entity for improving run-time optimization.  In its own way, it finds a way to control and focus all programs including game optimizers.

I would also say not to overlook Process Lasso's g-booster setting.  It does put a new attitude on the foreground, and, if all your other Process Lasso settings are on the mark, it will give that little extra dimension that can make so much difference when it comes to games...

BenYeeHua

QuoteIt's not as deep a restrainer as GBoost, but it does have the quality of causing resources to be delivered to Explorer.exe in the form of improved mouse and keyboard functions, smoother scrolls, better windows drags, faster folder opens, and more responsive program opens.
I still remember this one.
For the old time with Windows XP, which without DWM.exe, I boost the responsive of the computer by just setting Explorer.exe as Real-Time priority+Process Lasso.
My friend with Windows 7 laptop, the first generation of I3 series, said that my computer is more responsive than his computer. :)

edkiefer

There are a few "[some application]" app made by few dev . the one I was thinking of shutdowns background processes and services .

Doing a Google search shows up 3 of them .
Bitsum QA Engineer