Process Lasso 6.5.0.20 fails to launch on startup

Started by Fabulist, June 05, 2013, 12:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulist

Hello everyone,

I recently made a fresh install of Windows 7, and discovered that for some unknown reason Process Lasso refuses to launch on its own as it should.

I am using version 6.5.0.20, the same one I used before I formatted. However 6.5.0.20 was a gradual update from 5.x.x.x (pre-format), whereas 6.5.0.20 was directly downloaded and installed (post-format).

Now, I have not changed anything, same Windows updates, same options, no UAC, logged in with Administrator account, tried to import my old config for Process Lasso (did not make a difference), checked the Task Scheduler options.. And although nothing seems wrong; the program simply will not launch on start up, although it did before the fresh install, and always did after every fresh install I made in the past for that matter.

Something peculiar I noticed is that; right after installing Process Lasso and I selected whether it will handle services only for this user or for all users, the application still refuses to launch and I have to manually click on it to open even for the first time. And I did try to re-install it multiple times.

PS: This reminds me of a problem I had in the past, where I tried to make Process Lasso work from an external hard drive, and although I made significant efforts, I never managed to get it to automatically launch on Windows's boot, and I simply gave up after a point.

Can someone help me make this work either normally or give me a treat and make it work on the external hard drive?

Thanks in advance!

edkiefer

you sure your all updated in windows update . Seems odd it work before and now format it won't .

Only thing to try is see what event viewer says  also maybe enable debug logging ,though this probably won't help cause it never runs .Also what AV do you have if any . If so maybe add PL processes to the excluded list .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Fabulist

Yes, I am sure I have Windows fully updated like before.

Also, I do not use any kind of anti-virus, anti-malware, or protection software.

Jeremy Collake

Are the two Process Lasso tasks are listed in the Task Scheduler?
If they are, can you click 'Run' and have them launch?

Generally, causes for such a failure are (not necessarily applying to you):

1. Disabled Task Scheduler service (rare and a very bad idea)
2. Startup management tools, such as the one now built into the Windows 8 task manager
3. Delayed start. Task Scheduler based startup processes are launched last at startup, it can take a couple minutes for the system tray icon to appea
4. A crash of some type, though I'm not aware of any such problem. In such a case, you should see a .DMP file in %USERAPPDATA%/ProcessLasso and an event in the system application log
5. Hidden system tray icon (hidden by Windows, see the expansion button in the system tray to unhide it)

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Fabulist

Yes, both PL tasks are listed properly.

I did; clicking 'Run' launches 'ProcessGovernor.exe' & 'ProcessLasso.exe' (as seen on Windows's Task Manager) however the program's icon does not appear in the notification area. However, it does appear when I open PL from the shortcut or by directly clicking on the 'ProcessLasso.exe'.

In addition, 'ProcessLasso.exe' runs after I install the program, but again it will not show in the notification area on the task bar. Also, clicking 'Run' on PL's schedules in the Task Scheduler, after a fresh install of PL, will open 'ProcessGovernor.exe' & 'ProcessLasso.exe' - meaning I have two (2) 'ProcessLasso.exe' instances running (again according to Windows's Task Manager).

-

1. The service is not disabled and all other programs listed there (like Google Chrome's auto updater) are working properly.

2. I am using Windows 7 x64 HP SP1 (MSDN) and after updating Windows and installing the latest drivers, I installed Process Lasso first before any other software, so it was before I tampered with anything at all in regard to anything on Windows.

3. There is no .DMP file in C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\ProcessLasso or any of its sub folders.

Hope the information I provided is of some relevance.

Thank you again for your time.

Jeremy Collake

That's strange. One thing I did forget to mention in the above list is that since Task Scheduler based startup processes are launched last at startup, it can take a couple minutes for the system tray icon to appear. I don't believe that's the case here though.

I don't suppose Windows is simply hiding the system tray icon? As you surely know, Windows does this, with an expansion button to the left of the system tray icons, and an dialog letting you pick which system tray icons appear.

It's normal for ProcessGovernor.exe and ProcessLasso.exe to both be running. Is that what you mean by 2 instances, as opposed to two actual 'ProcessLasso.exe' instances?

Fabulist

Maybe this screenshot I took will clarify this matter: http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2919/capturelie.png

Marked with RED are the processes related to PL that run on start up (same ones that appear if I click on 'Run' on the Task Scheduler) - it includes the first 'ProcessLasso.exe' which does not come with its icon as it should on the notification area.

Note that nothing is hidden on the notification area. As for the system; it boots in about 10 seconds since it runs SSDs on Intel's RAID 0 with the latest available OROM, henceforth everything is already loaded (including services) the moment I can move my cursor which is about 2 additional seconds after I see my wallpaper and icons.

Marked with BLUE is again 'ProcessLasso.exe', that appears for the second time and gives me PL's notification area icon. This is me; since I clicked the Process Lasso shortcut from the 'All Programs' menu in order to see the icon and be able to enter the program.

I also imagine the 'ProcessLasso.exe' should not be able to run two times like this?

Thanks again.

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for clarifying. You're right, this condition should never exist. Process Lasso creates a global event whose presence indicates that it's already running. It does this before anything else really. Any new instance should open the main window of the existing instance, then terminate. So, this is a symptom of the problem ....

The only thing I can come up with at this time is that perhaps something is blocking the instance of Process Lasso that is starting with the system. Check to make sure that first instance isn't suspended or anything. Then, right-click on that first instance and select 'Debug / Create Dump'. Process Explorer can also create a smaller minidump if you want to save some bandwidth and hassle. Send me this dump and *perhaps* I can at least see what is going on.

Fabulist

There you go, minidumps from Process Explorer: http://www.mediafire.com/?l2avwqrw4c46gbc

Hope you can resolve this, I want to use PL :(

Jeremy Collake

I should think more before I post, but I'm moving fast and loose here :o.

GdiPlus may be the culprit. There's a wait on an object causing the stall. I don't know why or how. It could involve your display drivers, I suppose.

It does appear stalled while initializing system DLLs though, Process Lasso's code doesn't even get control.

Fabulist

This is really weird for me too.. I fresh install Windows regularly, and every time I fully update, install the latest drivers, use the same settings, same software.. Including PL which has always worked as it should.

My head is completely empty with this, I cannot think of something since it could be anything?

PL worked absolutely fine before the format, and before the computer had the same files, software, updates, configuration.. It makes absolutely no sense.

EDIT: Oh you edited it, well I used the same display drivers before too, same exact version, the purpose of this fresh install was to recreate a RAID 0 array since I upgraded my BIOS's RST OROM, everything else is exactly the same driver and software wise.

Jeremy Collake

I don't know either.. let me think on it some more, maybe I will have an epiphany. I'm at a loss right now :o

BenYeeHua

Might be Hardware issues?
And maybe using Process Monitor to boot at start, and check what's other software are doing? :)

Fabulist

Support, due to the issue's ambiguity I leaned towards trying registry and system cleaners like CCleaner and Wise Registry Optimizer. I also tried to remove non-essential drivers like for Audio and Video (cannot remove chipset drivers), and nothing made a difference.

Also enabled Test Mode and tried to temporarily disable multiple protection and prevention Windows services, nothing so far has made any difference to PL, while all other software works properly.

-

BenYeeHua, if it was a hardware issue, I assume it would have shown on demanding applications or games, however everything works exceptionally; Battlefield 3, Metro Last Light, Crysis 3, 2, 1 and some other very CPU hungry applications.

I have changed nothing on the computer, merely updated the RAID OROM and recreated the array, which I have done hundreds of times in the past. Plus, I have already tested and benchmarked the array, it works as it is expected to work. Actually, everything works as it is expected to.

Thanks again guys, let me know if you come up with something.

edkiefer

Could it be Task Scheduler is somehow setting PL with extremely low priority that its not working/starting right ?

I think I read somewhere Task Scheduler will use a lower priority then if you manually run an app .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

edkiefer

I get 13 on both by manual running .
I don't have PL setup to start at logon

I used process explorer , PL.exe>properties

I doubt it would be to a degree to stop it , probably something else it conflicting .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on June 07, 2013, 06:53:36 PM
I get 13 on both by manual running .
I don't have PL setup to start at logon

I used process explorer , PL.exe>properties

I doubt it would be to a degree to stop it , probably something else it conflicting .
I think the OP can try to delay start the PL by setting the task scheduler, sometimes I also facing some issues like this.
And the workaround is delay start one of them. :)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on June 07, 2013, 08:38:53 AM
I think I read somewhere Task Scheduler will use a lower priority then if you manually run an app .

The Task Scheduler does launch processes with a less than normal priority. However, Process Lasso sets its own priorities (CPU, memory, and I/O), and this is not something that would interfere anyway. The issue here seems to be a full and unrecoverable deadlock in some external component.

Fabulist

I forgot to mention, even if irrelevant, that I did try to put the program on a delayed timer from the scheduler. I did this in the past because I could not launch it from an external HDD with absolutely no way, however in this case the processes were not being launched at all, this is an entirely different problem, since the processes launch, but launch abnormally.

So you can exclude this anyway.

BenYeeHua

Did you try other thing like the scheduler run the bat, and the bat run the PL? :)

Fabulist

No, I have not tried anything else but what I already stated that I did, nor I know how to do what you suggested.

EDIT: Also, this how Process Lasso reports the two processlasso.exe that appear:

1. http://imageshack.us/a/img845/7867/75209760.png

2. http://imageshack.us/a/img833/4397/20636909.png

The only difference between the processes which I see, but not really understand, is the one that appears on the second screenshot.

BenYeeHua

I think it's mean that process is started by ProcessLassoLauncher.exe, which is prevent UAC Window if I am right.(Sorry for my bad memory.) :)

Fabulist

As I said to my main post, I do not use UAC or any kind of security measure on the computer, plus I am logged in as Administrator, as I always have been. The same condition I always had on the computer, and PL always worked.

edkiefer

So what would happen if you just moved/copied PL shortcut to startup folder since you don't need worring about rights/UAC .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Fabulist

Yes but even if it does work this way, should we not identify the problem here so the program works as intended? In any case I will test it out.

edkiefer

sure, but the more info we get as to what works and where it doesn't might give clue to where problem is .
This doesn't seem like wide spread issue as your only one so far reporting it AFAIK .

The Developer need to be able to reproduce the problem or at very least give a clue to whats wrong to look into code and see if anything looks bad .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Yup, it can be the Task Scheduler having some trouble, or ProcessLassoLauncher.exe.
So we can find it out by excluding one by one.

Fabulist

Guys I just installed Process Lasso v6.6.0.1 beta in order to test what we discussed and it works!

It even launches properly from the external hard drive, something that would not happen without adding an added delay on the Task Scheduler in the past - I will keep it as is since it works properly now and will not attempt to further test; I have no idea what you did in the latest beta, but it did the trick.

I know this information may not be helpful, but I hope you figure out something for future refence.

Thank you for your time, I will let you know if the issue reappears.

BenYeeHua

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Fabulist on June 11, 2013, 02:48:52 AM
Guys I just installed Process Lasso v6.6.0.1 beta in order to test what we discussed and it works!

That's interesting. Thanks for updating us. However, I would not get too excited about this. Since the cause was unidentified, I believe it may recur at some point.

You said you don't use any security software. Does this include not using Windows Defender?