Main Menu

hello

Started by dhrf, July 07, 2013, 04:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhrf

I am senior mcse security from Argentina, I am gamer, and performance freak.

I remember when I use the windows resourse manager on the first dualcore on the market, I use it to empy one core an run the app/games there.

half life get 40% FPS for example. (take into account that sound and another things of that time really use cpu)

I experiment whit optimization of os and apps for me and for mayor  consulting proyects.

I have a core I7 and change all for a fx8120 so I can test it.
today I was testing crysis 3 and trying to find something like the WSRM and I find this app.

I more than happy, I do test ok, today I change the cpu driver from the amd to intel and I get half a point in cinebench.

I also was tryaing to use wmi to manage the cache on the cpu.

my point is, there is much to get from the hardware and os (OC or not), this app look really fine.

I will buy it, and collaborate all I can.

of course we can do same things whit aother apps, many scripts ect. but work whit one app give more precise results.

RGDS to the community

Motherboard:
      CPU Type                                                OctalCore AMD FX-8120, 4500 MHz
      Motherboard Name                                  Asus Crosshair V Formula 
      Motherboard Chipset                                AMD 990FX, AMD K15
      System Memory                                      16344 MB ddr3 at 2200
      BIOS Type                                              AMI (09/21/2012)

Display:
      Video Adapter                                     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480  (1536 MB)
      Video Adapter                                     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480  (1536 MB)
      Monitor                                           Dell 1707FP (Digital)  [17" LCD]  (CC280691ANGA)
      Monitor                                           Dell P170S (Digital)  [17" LCD]  (C2JMK13E367S)
      Monitor                                           Dell U2913WM (Digital)  [29" LCD]  (5YD8C334683L)

Creative SB X-Fi Fatality XtremeGamer Sound Card

LSI MR9260-8i SCSI Disk Device  (5587 GB) 4 wd rg4 raid5
LSI MR9260-8i SCSI Disk Device  (236 GB) 4 ssd raid0
SONY DVD RW AD-7200S SATA CdRom Device

BenYeeHua

Hello, thank for sharing your story. :)
QuoteI more than happy, I do test ok, today I change the cpu driver from the amd to intel and I get half a point in cinebench.
Can you telling more about this?
As I know, cinebench is using ICC compiler, it will only using more advanced Instruction Set(like AVX) if it detect the CPU as Intel genuine or CPUID, and using older Instruction Set for non-Intel CPUID.

If there are a way to lie to the ICC compiler software, not patching the ICC compiler which can only be done by developers, then it is useful for AMD Processor user. ;)
----
QuoteI remember when I use the windows resourse manager on the first dualcore on the market, I use it to empy one core an run the app/games there.

half life get 40% FPS for example. (take into account that sound and another things of that time really use cpu)
If I am right, at that time we has many software that only has one thread and bad CPU cache.
And I think you means 40 FPS, not 40% FPS, right?
Or did you means you are getting 40% more FPS?

And try this. ;)
http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php

I think you has patch the Bulldozer Patch for windows 7, if you don't, you can Google it about that.

And finally.
Process Lasso is target for responsive, but some of us are using for performance too. :)

dhrf

Ok

Benefit of the doubt before thinking that yesterday I discover what CPU do

I trick hardware when you need to solder cables to the CPU and use dip switches to control the off core cache speed. (amd slot A)

And I work on servers and fine tune servers since nt4. (And I mean when the hds use pio and not dma...) and windows 200 beta tester.

Windows sucks, x86 too, bulldozer performance is project that will keep you distracted for long time.

there is room to extract more of your cpu using affinity and priority,(because windows use execute and forget....) if you use performance monitor and analyze X app you could find where the bottle neck is, and yet there is a lot of undocumented trick that work today like in w2k.

When amd release the dual core, games and windows don't understand it very well.... the windows resource manager was a server component that allow you to put rules of memory/priority/affinity, and I say for all process, you can literally get the second core empty. so the app that you force there not only stay there but have a real time priority effect, and in that time if you remember we use sound cards, so core 1 can work another os/hardware/driver task better, and yes hal life went from 100FPS to a 140FPS, another apps or benches did not see many difference.

I change my core I7 for this rig to test how it work in several environments, like I do when the Opteron came out etc.

I went to device manager and change the CPU driver of the 8 cores, I don't choose the recommended drivers and select Intel on the left and processor on the right.

And I take do take care of benches, any monitoring software must be disable, because the access to read the temps and voltages (low level query if you want) slow it.

I don't bench all day, My OC is not prime stable, is game stable, but I like to try different things, cups and windows still carry old (compatibility) things and you can try play around, of course change the cpu driver was hitting the os whit a hammer....

I  read at least 10 hardware sites per day, and you may think I am little nuts but if you want the most of windows and bulldozer you must be nuts.

I am looking to write some script in wmi to control the cache misfires.

Another thing, disable the power service, that acpi crap is nasty (How I miss to be able to change the hal from acpi to advanced power interface)

And I want performance too, and a soft that do the job that the os or app don't do.

I try many but this people do the home work.

And don’t be afraid of the performance monitor, is very powerfull tool, and in something whit so many layers, hard/drivers/os/apps etc can help a lot.

my os is windows 8.1 and my cpu at 4500 give 7.39 in cinebench./update 7.42

but I point at games spread the treads, stay in that core, and play and test.

BenYeeHua

QuoteI trick hardware when you need to solder cables to the CPU and use dip switches to control the off core cache speed. (amd slot A)
Like the old way hardware overclock, by using a pencil, but more advanced? :)

QuoteWindows sucks, x86 too, bulldozer performance is project that will keep you distracted for long time.
Ya, I hope the Xbox One will force Microsoft to improve AMD performance, at least improve the multi-thread performance. ;)

Quotethere is room to extract more of your cpu using affinity and priority,(because windows use execute and forget....) if you use performance monitor and analyze X app you could find where the bottle neck is, and yet there is a lot of undocumented trick that work today like in w2k.
Ya, but I am not great for analyze and find out where are the bottleneck, like is it CPU bottleneck or GPU bottleneck or RAM bottleneck? :)

QuoteWhen amd release the dual core, games and windows don't understand it very well.... the windows resource manager was a server component that allow you to put rules of memory/priority/affinity, and I say for all process, you can literally get the second core empty. so the app that you force there not only stay there but have a real time priority effect, and in that time if you remember we use sound cards, so core 1 can work another os/hardware/driver task better, and yes hal life went from 100FPS to a 140FPS, another apps or benches did not see many difference.
Great increase for the FPS. ;)
And yes, the tick of the game has becoming a issues as their threads is moving between the core, and the TSC between the core are difference, so they will getting a unsync or difference speed up/slowing down for the game.
And I know after the Intel I series, they fixed it via Constant TSC.

Except the software support multi-threads, then the second core remains idle.

And ya, forcing one of the core to process the hardware thing only also great for nearly real-time that need a low latency sound card.
QuoteI change my core I7 for this rig to test how it work in several environments, like I do when the Opteron came out etc.

I went to device manager and change the CPU driver of the 8 cores, I don't choose the recommended drivers and select Intel on the left and processor on the right.
Ya, if I can, I also want to find out what happen to the AMD, and which software is their friend etc.

I never touch the CPU driver, but I might be do some research for it.
QuoteAnd I take do take care of benches, any monitoring software must be disable, because the access to read the temps and voltages (low level query if you want) slow it.
Yes, some person found out the game unsync issue can be fixed by disable it, and the DPC latency also lowed after disable it. ;)

QuoteI don't bench all day, My OC is not prime stable, is game stable, but I like to try different things, cups and windows still carry old (compatibility) things and you can try play around, of course change the cpu driver was hitting the os whit a hammer....
Yup, so I hope I at least has 2 computer, when one of them has issues, than we can fix it by finding information via Internet.
Except we are using 100% everyday, then we don't need too much stable for it.

I still remember I has running with Athlon x2 4400+ 2.6265Ghz with 1.15 volt 1+ year, and after I testing with Prime95, it can't pass even 0.1 second. ;D
QuoteI  read at least 10 hardware sites per day, and you may think I am little nuts but if you want the most of windows and bulldozer you must be nuts.
Nope, me too. ;)
It is just like other people that like car, reading about car even they can't buy it. :)
QuoteI am looking to write some script in wmi to control the cache misfires.
I hope you can success on this.
QuoteAnother thing, disable the power service, that acpi crap is nasty (How I miss to be able to change the hal from acpi to advanced power interface)
Yup, with laptop or netbook it also increase the DPC latency.
QuoteAnd I want performance too, and a soft that do the job that the os or app don't do.
I also want to increase the performance while increase the responsiveness of the software. ;)
QuoteI try many but this people do the home work.
Ya, a ability to write a software to help yourself is great too, but luckily we has PL, so we don't need to writing for it. ;)
QuoteAnd don’t be afraid of the performance monitor, is very powerfull tool, and in something whit so many layers, hard/drivers/os/apps etc can help a lot.
Yes, just it is hard to use.
Quotemy os is windows 8.1 and my cpu at 4500 give 7.39 in cinebench./update 7.42

but I point at games spread the treads, stay in that core, and play and test.
As I know, windows 8.1 has broken some game performance, maybe they are doing too much powersave for windows 8.1

Ya, I wonder that some game has multi-thread, and some game locking the main thread on the core 0, or forcing the process with the same core.
Which one is better. :)

dhrf

Hey, I am a AMD all the way ok, like I was ATI.(now I want ati card back but my 480sli work fine and cards here are ultra expensive)

hitting the os whit a hammer is only if you are ready to restore.

many bios options are gone now (like bios shadow etc) some can be managed from the os but is a pain...

performace monitor is so powerfull that in the nt4 days you choose to monitor another pc cpu and set the refresh time to 0 and the cpu of the remote (local lan) pc went to 100%, thats a denial of service attack whit the os tools!!!!!

performance monitor will help to find who is F your process, you put counters for X process tread latency and anothers from hardware etc, and you find interesting things, but it point you in the right direction (have no fix or search more)

plus a second monitor is great so you could use tools in real time (be aware that monitoring have performance impact)

bios/hardware/firmaware/ all have impact.

off course it will be easy that things work at its peak from factory, (no new camshaft or headers for my car....) but they don't, and if we want the best we most work hard.

but some times you find trick that work

have you look at the scheduler service and all the crap is there for default, not to mention that any bench must be offline, even a bad network packet (not to mention malware) can be bad for your monitoring tools or bench result.

I am here to help/share, test this great tool, and recommend some options.

BenYeeHua

Quotemany bios options are gone now (like bios shadow etc) some can be managed from the os but is a pain...
Ya, for laptop it is one of the weak point...
performace monitor is so powerfull that in the nt4 days you choose to monitor another pc cpu and set the refresh time to 0 and the cpu of the remote (local lan) pc went to 100%, thats a denial of service attack whit the os tools!!!!!
Wow, that crazy. :o
Quoteperformance monitor will help to find who is F your process, you put counters for X process tread latency and anothers from hardware etc, and you find interesting things, but it point you in the right direction (have no fix or search more)

plus a second monitor is great so you could use tools in real time (be aware that monitoring have performance impact)
Yes, as the process that has been monitor need to wait the monitoring tools to read the data etc.
Quotebios/hardware/firmaware/ all have impact.

off course it will be easy that things work at its peak from factory, (no new camshaft or headers for my car....) but they don't, and if we want the best we most work hard.

but some times you find trick that work
Yes, and if we can't fix it via changing the setting, the only way is changing the hardware...
Or try to mod the bios/firmware if it is a software issue.
Quotehave you look at the scheduler service and all the crap is there for default, not to mention that any bench must be offline, even a bad network packet (not to mention malware) can be bad for your monitoring tools or bench result.
Ya, as windows is target as Compatibility, Stability, not Performance.
---
So we need to testing many times, so that the result don't affected so much. :)
QuoteI am here to help/share, test this great tool, and recommend some options.
So, what has you found about Process Lasso?

dhrf

Quote from: BenYeeHua on July 09, 2013, 06:20:58 AM
.Ya, as windows is target as Compatibility, Stability, not Performance.
Compatibility is exploted by malware at the hardware level, malware? I mean loaders hard emulation and bad intentions, and no tools....

Quote from: BenYeeHua on July 09, 2013, 06:20:58 AM
So we need to testing many times, so that the result don't affected so much. :)So, what has you found about Process Lasso?

of course you nead a bench baseline. then choose what to monitor, check the impact. but for a raw first run I run alone, then realtime, them whit perfmonitor. that allow me to know what kind of game I am on. (soccer,tenis)

First Is the first app that's going the right way, and if you have use server windows resourse manager, this is the close I could find, and I try lots and lots.
Plus I will test in server enviroments, some servers perform bad because improper memory/cpu/io/ config.

for now don't experiment much, but to have someone that do care and make and app that fix a lot of problems, man I am happy!!! there is hope!!!!
I think I can get much more performance of my exchange dag (3 nodes) whit this, because all the roles fight and you have to fine tune, iis,services etc.

have much to learn about the app, the more apart is from windows the better

I have epilepsy, dyslexia, 3 childs..... so I may not post a lot, but give a couple of days to prepare a clean enviroment and I promise result. ( Iwill reinstall the os, another server os, virtual machines)

RGDS my friend

dhrf

tested 3 times

cinebnech PL running Pb disable  7.42
cinebench PL running Pb enable  7.43

cinebench don't give point like a gift.

I will add some old OS tricks. and keep tednting

BenYeeHua

QuoteCompatibility is exploted by malware at the hardware level, malware? I mean loaders hard emulation and bad intentions, and no tools....
Not so understand, but as some old software has been stop working in newer windows, so did the malware, there are good and bad thing for windows user. ;)
Quoteof course you nead a bench baseline. then choose what to monitor, check the impact. but for a raw first run I run alone, then realtime, them whit perfmonitor. that allow me to know what kind of game I am on. (soccer,tenis)
Ya, and I love game that have benchmark, so we can testing/tweaking each setting without any knowledge for perfmonitor, and it is much easier as they are the same test.
But the bad is it don't works great for Online Game, as it has too much factors that will affect the tweak.
QuoteFirst Is the first app that's going the right way, and if you have use server windows resourse manager, this is the close I could find, and I try lots and lots.
Plus I will test in server enviroments, some servers perform bad because improper memory/cpu/io/ config.
Ya, the first thing is we need to make sure the basic thing like memory/cpu/ i/o don't set wrong, then the game don't has too much issue like bad coding etc.
Quotefor now don't experiment much, but to have someone that do care and make and app that fix a lot of problems, man I am happy!!! there is hope!!!!
I think I can get much more performance of my exchange dag (3 nodes) whit this, because all the roles fight and you have to fine tune, iis,services etc.

have much to learn about the app, the more apart is from windows the better

I have epilepsy, dyslexia, 3 childs..... so I may not post a lot, but give a couple of days to prepare a clean enviroment and I promise result. ( Iwill reinstall the os, another server os, virtual machines)
Yup, a life saver or time saver. :)
----
Quote from: dhrf on July 09, 2013, 09:33:55 AM
tested 3 times

cinebnech PL running Pb disable  7.42
cinebench PL running Pb enable  7.43

cinebench don't give point like a gift.

I will add some old OS tricks. and keep tednting

So at least we know PL don't adding too much overhead for the CPU, and become a CPU eater. ;)

dhrf

my gtx480 sli are maxed out at crisis 2/3, so I use the cpu for physics x.

will bench that.

a fine game for benchmark is word in conflict, the bench use sli,cpu , physics x and give detail, logs result and don't take more than 3 minutes.
is a litle old but if you maxed out detail will give your rig a nice kick (support multilple monitors too)

RGDS

PD: no problems whit Microsoft emet4.

BenYeeHua

Ya, most of the in-game benchmark is for testing the graphic card driver and graphic setting, so the user can use for the quick test and find the suitable graphic setting.

And I think you means PhysX, Crysis 2/3 don't using that technology, so it don't affect the benchmark result/game performance.
If it is affecting the result, then there are something wrong for the graphic card driver. :)

dhrf

Quote from: BenYeeHua on July 09, 2013, 01:21:45 PM
Ya, most of the in-game benchmark is for testing the graphic card driver and graphic setting, so the user can use for the quick test and find the suitable graphic setting.

And I think you means PhysX, Crysis 2/3 don't using that technology, so it don't affect the benchmark result/game performance.
If it is affecting the result, then there are something wrong for the graphic card driver. :)

when was driver ok? remember creative.....

ok

new os clean install 2012r2, first cinebench on realtime (no apps) 7.43, better than 8.1, whit this app, installed and only configure the priority of cinebech, 7.45, I never get a that high.

2012e2 is faster, and this app server edition already shine, give a day or 2 for sql,ad, exchange etc.

2012r2 work fine as games os.install dx 9,10, sdk, all works, even my x/fi.

Iset the phisycs to de cpu, crisis use 70% when is on the card and 60 if on cpu.

gtx 480 sli really work I can play almost maxed out at 2506x1080, hard to change cards,

my psu is a 1600W single rail, I have 220 at the wall.

BenYeeHua

Quotewhen was driver ok? remember creative.....
Yes, most of the driver are not ok....
Like the WiFi driver...
Quotenew os clean install 2012r2, first cinebench on realtime (no apps) 7.43, better than 8.1, whit this app, installed and only configure the priority of cinebech, 7.45, I never get a that high.

2012e2 is faster, and this app server edition already shine, give a day or 2 for sql,ad, exchange etc.

2012r2 work fine as games os.install dx 9,10, sdk, all works, even my x/fi.
Thank for telling that, and the function also don't reducing too much too(except Metro ::)), I found some network function on Windows 8 are broken.
For example, netsh int tcp set supplemental.
---
So it seen like the process will still affected by other background processes, even it is running with real-time...
QuoteIset the phisycs to de cpu, crisis use 70% when is on the card and 60 if on cpu.
So the FPS remain the same?
Then I will try to test for it(it is harder for me, as I don't has many single player games), with single GPU, it can be broken for the SLI only.
Quotegtx 480 sli really work I can play almost maxed out at 2506x1080, hard to change cards,
If the game engine/CPU don't has any issue, then yes, it is. ;)
Quotemy psu is a 1600W single rail, I have 220 at the wall.
So, it will be very quiet on low load?

dhrf

I am testing the beta server edition, I cant find the gaming options :)

2012 work much better than w8, it use much more ram but it use better, the os is really fast. don't try to disable the power service on 2012r2.......... I already se problems whit ups software if it is so much sensitive to that.

this app only need a better look like the ones from http://www.oo-software.com/, by the way the clever cache app that I use for years have many monitoring easy to read for the ones that look info on hardware monitoring.

and for better respond you could add a ramdisk option. (I use that tools from nt4 era and they work, now some are free) I dont use because my ssd raid read at 900mb.

BenYeeHua

Quote2012 work much better than w8, it use much more ram but it use better, the os is really fast. don't try to disable the power service on 2012r2.......... I already se problems whit ups software if it is so much sensitive to that.
Ya, they has disable so many power save function on windows server 2012, but enable it on windows 8.
So I think the performance is much better on windows server 2012.
Quotethis app only need a better look like the ones from http://www.oo-software.com/, by the way the clever cache app that I use for years have many monitoring easy to read for the ones that look info on hardware monitoring.
Ya...
PL need more user friendly on UI, but the issue is, it is too hard for one person to maintain the PL code with that friendly UI.
Quoteand for better respond you could add a ramdisk option. (I use that tools from nt4 era and they work, now some are free) I dont use because my ssd raid read at 900mb.
I also don't using it, as just with the SuperFetch, windows has filled the 8GB Ram fully. :)

Still testing on the Nvidia PhysX, I think the performance likely increased.

dhrf

do you plan to add process profiles? to server and WS editions?

BenYeeHua

Quote from: dhrf on July 19, 2013, 01:16:43 AM
I think I can't understand what are you asking me... :o
More detail about this question? :)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: dhrf on July 19, 2013, 01:16:43 AM

I may at some point, yes!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

As for the UI ... I am working on some things everyone will like, at least when it comes to simplification. However, don't expect any pretty graphics or a big, fancy, colorful GUI - I'm not sure that's what my core users really want :). Soccer mom's may love it. It may do great for sales and marketing, but there is something to be said for having a UI designed for utility instead of wooing.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

User friendly for the UI don't means pretty graphics or a big, fancy, colorful GUI(sorry for being copycat again), but I think it must showing most of the useful information/settings on front.

But anyways, a picture is more than words. :)

bertie97

Blast from the past - AMD Slot A OC - I'd forgotten about doing that, I think I still have a board with the switches on here somewhere...
http://www.highspeedpc.com/slot_a_overclocking.htm
Took my 500 to 700mhz.  That was when 500 mhz was fast of course now, it's a smart toaster. :D

Still using AMD  ;)

BenYeeHua

Ya, AMD was a monster at that time, and also overclock is more fun and harder than now.(and most of people now only want stability with a not bad performance CPU)
Let see how far HSA and APU inside the PS4/Xbox one will pushing the software devs, as hardware are pushing to the edge now.
And I guess Intel will provide more hardware solution to the software devs, just like the Transactional Synchronization Extensions (TSX) and some hardware solution on the graphic card like video decode.

So I just reading at here.
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/?d=qa&f=ben_mem_hle
[Neither Windows 7 nor Windows 8 use TSX at this time, but it is possible they will be updated or Windows 8.1/"Blue" kernel will be required for support]
TSX just like HSA, they will need the OS support, let see Microsoft will become Wintel or WAMD or both. ;D

And I wonder that, did TSX help the sync between threads, as I saw more devs facing the desync issues with multi-threads, and many strange thing happen when they start using the multi-threads software that they create.

edkiefer

Good all Slot 1/A CPU's , they were a pain to keep cool with slot type HS mounting and L2 on each side .

IMO 440BX was one of best Intel MB made , very solid MB , I have one still working last I checked .

TSX I am not sure what will come of that , I still don't follow why the xxxxK CPU drop support on that . There only certain type of software that can really support many of newer instructions . For every day app most are not going to gain much . Maybe something like vidio encoding or photo editing would probably get boost . Offloading some work to vid card under OpenCL will get improvements .
Lets see how newer APU do with shared memory and maybe shared GPU when DGPU is installed along with APU .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

QuoteIMO 440BX was one of best Intel MB made , very solid MB , I have one still working last I checked .
Just like what's we always know, old hardware are having better quality than now.

QuoteTSX I am not sure what will come of that , I still don't follow why the xxxxK CPU drop support on that . There only certain type of software that can really support many of newer instructions . For every day app most are not going to gain much . Maybe something like vidio encoding or photo editing would probably get boost . Offloading some work to vid card under OpenCL will get improvements .
Lets see how newer APU do with shared memory and maybe shared GPU when DGPU is installed along with APU .
Not that easy, as I know, H.264 has the limit for the threads to encode, or you will facing larger size or bad quality on the video.
And let us waiting for the Xbox one/PS4 come up and see what's they will bring to us first. ;)