We need YOUR help to correct SiteAdvisor's improper rating of bitsum.com

Started by Jeremy Collake, November 28, 2008, 02:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

I'm calling on all users of Process Lasso to please help me change McAfee SiteAdvisor's improper rating of Bitsum Technologies as a RED (dangerous) site. This rating is due to a malware false alarm on our MakeService utility, which has actually been removed from our site for a while now because of that problem.

How did the false alarm happen? I assume that a couple months ago some malware author decided to illegally use our MakeService utility in their software, and the anti-malware companies indiscriminately marked MakeService itself as part of the malware. We/I still haven't got all the false alarms cleared up...

I have a Bitsum Technologies blog where I've posted a little information about this. I don't normally update that Blog, nor is anything there particularly well composed ;).

Please, comment about the legitimacy of our site at SiteAdvisor. You don't even have to love us, just report that we aren't to be lumped with malware sites.

Link: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/bitsum.com  (bitsum.com)
Link: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/processlasso.com  (processlasso.com)

Thanks to all who take the time to do so.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Hotrod

I've noticed that further down their list of the sites programs that another version of MakeService is listed as green. What's the difference?  ???

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Hotrod on November 29, 2008, 01:38:27 AM
I've noticed that further down their list of the sites programs that another version of MakeService is listed as green. What's the difference?  ???

The difference is that they are only detecting whichever particular version of MakeService that was included by some malware author in his malware.

I am highly frustrated about this whole issue. Try a search for "process lasso" on yahoo.com and you'll see why.

I don't have the spirit go around fighting these false alarms anymore. I did what I can, I notified SiteAdvisor. Maybe they'll fix it. If not, I guess bitsum will forever be labeled 'dangerous' on every yahoo search result, and on every computer with McAfee installed. Ugh.

Scott

I added my rating and comment to both sites.  I tried SiteAdvisor a long time ago and found the whole idea a ridiculous waste of time.  This is one reason why.

McAssfee sucks, and so does SiteAdvisor.  If you were a big-name company, these assholes would fix it pronto, for fear of being sued otherwise.

Jeremy Collake

Yea, at least we're making progress .. finally ;).

I think it may have been AvertLabs who finally did something about this, though I don't know. They responded to the original false alarm(s) causing this whole mess, fixing that problem. It does appear the site has been rescanned.

Anyway, I'll be working on getting processlasso.com's rating fixed now. It is important, but somewhat less important than bitsum.com.

Scott

Seems like such a waste of resources--the duplication of effort that goes into malware identification.  Maybe it would be nice to have a centralized, cooperative organization doing it.  But of course, capitalism being what it is, that'll probably never happen.

Jeremy Collake

Yea, such an central organization acting responsibly, for the greater good of all, would be nice to see ;). I don't think it will ever happen either. I don't know if there is any easy answer to the whole malware problem, but the anti-malware industry definitely isn't cutting it. They should be focused on preventing malware from making unapproved system changes, not on trying to detect and identify these malware applications (a futile task). Of course, user education is the other big necessary ingredient.

Seo-Ul-zes

Мы служба специалистов по продвижению в интернете, занимающихся продвижением вашего сайта в поисковых системах.
Мы преуспели в своей деятельности и стремимся передать вам наши знания и опыт.
Какая помощь доступна у нас:
seo валберис
• Исчерпывающая оценка вашего сайта и разработка индивидуальной стратегии продвижения.
• Модернизация контента и технических аспектов вашего сайта для оптимальной работы.
• Постоянный контроль и анализ данных для улучшения вашего онлайн-присутствия.
Подробнее https://seo-prodvizhenie-ulyanovsk1.ru/
Результаты наших клиентов уже видны: увеличение трафика, улучшение позиций в поисковых системах и, конечно же, рост прибыли. Мы готовы предложить вам консультацию бесплатно, для того чтобы обсудить ваши требования и разработать стратегию продвижения, соответствующую вашим целям и финансовым возможностям.
Не упустите возможность улучшить свой бизнес в онлайн-мире. Свяжитесь с нами сегодня же.