Does not restart crashed process: speedfan

Started by Henry Yei, September 16, 2013, 06:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Yei

I have Process Lasso Pro 6.6.10 64 installed and have added c:\program files (x86)\speedfan\speedfan.exe

for processes to keep running. When I suspend and resume, speedfan often crashes. However it doesn't seem like Process Lasso is starting up speedfan when it is not running. Is there something I am missing here? I defaults, no commandline switches for speedfan.

The feature seems to work fine on another process, so it must just be speedfan.

edkiefer

probably because of not clean close of speedfan, since it crashed .
Have you checked when it crashes does it still show in list and if so useage and memory ?

I don't know if it would work but could try setting it for watchdog and set it for working class with a real low memory as set for "less than" and then in last field "restart the process"

Again not sure this will work but worth try .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

I think it might be adding a watchdog feature, like the program is "Not responding" and restart it, but this is another topic. :)
----
Did you check that after the crash, did the speedfan process has been killed/end?

Henry Yei

I tried to force terminate it with Process Lasso, and it gets started right up with the PL feature.
Speedfan didn't crash the last time I suspended, so I'll have to keep an eye out, since I'd been noticing it multiple times where my Speedfan tray icon disappeared and my fans went to 100% (fan get set to 100% when speedfan exits). This was one of the two main reasons I upgraded Process Lasso (to keep speedfan and audioswitch running)

edkiefer

what are your system specs , If latest Intel (last 3 gens) there are some bios settings that may help .

Like disabling "internal PLL overvoltage " in bios .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Henry Yei

I am running a AMD FX8350 on a Asusm5a99fx motherboard (32GB ram), windows 8 pro (64)

Jeremy Collake

SpeedFan always has been a nice application for what it does. I used to use it for displaying hardware sensors in the system tray. Perhaps the author added one too many features, it's unfortunate that it is crashing on resume :o.

Is there a 'app crashed' dialog that shows up? If so, the process isn't fully terminated until this dialog is closed. This window could get hidden behind others, I believe, though should start out topmost for sure. Could that be the reason behind this?

I will do some extra testing of the Keep Running feature to be sure though! I haven't tweaked or tuned that in a long time, as it's generally just worked, afaik.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

As a old user of speedfan, I can say sometimes I also saw speedfan hang, but don't crash.
And yes, the crashed dialog don't showing up, so I think this is more like it hang on the initialization.

Henry Yei

Ok it finally happened again. The speed fan tray indicator disappeared. I looked at process lasso and the speedfan.exe was "still" running. I was relatively certain the last time it happened, I didn't see a speedfan process, but I could have been wrong.

Even with the tray app running, there is still only one speedfan entry in process lasso, so I dont know if process lasso can help this issue at all. I also use it to show temps on the tray(and control fans). :(.

I have not noticed a crashed app dialog box specific to speedfan. Everyonce in awhile I've seen such a dialog that I associated with one of the Asus mobo update apps. I'll pay more attention to make sure it isn't speedfan in some cases.
Unless

edkiefer

Yeh , I don't think there much PL can do if the process is still running .
What you need to find out is did speedfan crash/not-responding or was it just speedfan tray icon/data that stopped .
Can you tell if fan profiles are still working or can you still bring up main speedfan window , it might just be the tray icon .

I would also give speedfan dev a heads up on this, maybe it could be fixed later on .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Yup, if it is showing not-responding, I think PL might adding feature to detect it.

And it should be telling the speedfan dev too. :)