Installhelper.exe and startup

Started by oxonsi, December 15, 2013, 04:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oxonsi

Ever since I updated my Process Lasso install to version 6.7.0.28, when I startup my machine, I see a command prompt window on the desktop referencing, "C:\Program File\Process Lasso\InstallHelper.exe", which stays up about 10 seconds before showing, "Info:  Successfully rebuilt performance counter setting from system backup store".

My questions are:  why does this occur at every startup?, and is this normal / necessary?

Prior to this update, I never noticed the command prompt window at startup.

Thanks for any information!

edkiefer

Does your "per core CPU utilization " graph work ok with graph enabled ?

There was fix added to performance counters so the per core graphs work on systems that got disabled .

more info here on it .
https://bitsum.com/forum/index.php/topic,3496.0.html
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

I guess it can be some software re-apply the optimize to disable performance counter after boot, or Process Lasso just don't get clean-up the start up code back to normal. :)

oxonsi

Thanks for the replies.

As a matter of fact, my "per core CPU utilization" graph does not work.  Clicking "View -> Show per-core CPU utilization" has no effect, and the selection remains unchecked.  I was not aware of this until now, as I had not tried to view the per core CPU utilization graph before.

Is there a way I can stop the fix being applied at every boot?  As it is, it slows down my boot process a bit, and it doesn't appear to resolve the per core CPU utilization graph not working in my case.

Thanks again.

Jeremy Collake

Are you running a non-English version of Windows?

The issue is that it is trying to repair your performance counters, apparently unsuccessfully. I am tracking this and plan a change in behavior in the next final version. Just hang on until then.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Quote"Info:  Successfully rebuilt performance counter setting from system backup store"
So I guess it is success to run that command, but somehow the other software changing it back, or language issues?

Jeremy Collake

I'm not sure. It's most likely that the backup store which is used to repair the performance counters also contains the issue. I'll need to run some extended tests here. It would be nice to have more information about how this 'damage' is occurring on some PCs. I do suspect registry cleaners, but who knows for sure. I do also have to set up good non-English test beds.

edkiefer

Do we know what a proper working performance counters reg key values are ?
If so maybe OP could upload that key so we can see what is stored .
On the fix, what i was thinking is if cpu bars not work ,run rebuild for performance counters but store a 1 value if it was rebuilt .

Performance counter rebuilt 1

In PL ini file , so it won't keep trying to fix a problem that is broken somewhere else .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: jeremy collake on December 16, 2013, 05:45:02 AM
I'm not sure. It's most likely that the backup store which is used to repair the performance counters also contains the issue. I'll need to run some extended tests here. It would be nice to have more information about how this 'damage' is occurring on some PCs. I do suspect registry cleaners, but who knows for sure. I do also have to set up good non-English test beds.
Yup, you can using some tools like Process Monitor, see what's registry value and files has been changed by running that command.
It might helps too. ;)

And also ya, it is a little hard to fix this issues without knowing the root of this issues, I hope it is not some patch from Microsoft causing it.

oxonsi

Thanks for all of the replies.

I think I understand the situation...

I can tell you that I am on a standard American English version of Windows 7 x64.  I do use CCleaner for registry cleaning, etc.

If I can be of any further assistance in your testing, please let me know.

In the meantime, I'll wait for future update to resolve the issue at boot and hopefully the per core utilization graph.

Thanks again  :)

BenYeeHua

Yup, it is because we are lack of people to testing that function, and we also don't know how to/which software corrupt the performance counters, reproduce the corrupt, and testing it.

And ya, it is a little surprised that now we has 3 4 person(just rechecked awhile) reported this issues, I hope the other people that also facing the "per core utilization graph" and also/or facing this issues too stand up, and post at here. :)
--------
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300956
So I also checked awhile.
QuoteLODCTR /R
        rebuild the perf registry strings and info from scratch based on the current registry settings and backup INI files.
I guess if the current registry settings are broken, then doing this will be useless?

Jeremy Collake

Version 6.7.0.31 beta has been uploaded, just not currently published (waiting until next build). You can get it here though: http://bitsum.com/files/beta/processlassosetup64.exe

In v6.7.0.31, you will see the issue at startup *one last time*. Then, it should disappear.

However, I am not entirely happy with this solution, so am still considering what I want to do. More information would absolutely be helpful, but as BenYeeHua says, resources are limited, and this is such an obscure problem.

BenYeeHua

Yup, not too much information that can telling us what's happening.

And also why the OP has running this command, but it still don't get fixed.