Should the Thread and Modules tabs be removed?

Started by Jeremy Collake, September 16, 2009, 04:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Thread and Modules tabs be removed?

Yes, they just add clutter
3 (60%)
No, keep them
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Jeremy Collake

Process Lasso is not designed to be a task manager. It seems pointless to compete in that space. Long ago, I removed the Threads, Modules, and Handles tabs. A few months ago I restored the Threads and Modules tabs, but now I question that decision. Does anyone actually use these? Do they do anything but add clutter, and possibly add to the typical end user confusion about Process Lasso being yet another task manager?
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

MMcVeigh

Indeed Process Lasso is not intended to compete with robust task manager.  As such I think several of the tabs could be removed, especially if it reduces PL GUI resource usage.  I use PL to setup the ProcessGovernor then use Microsoft / Sysinternals Process Explorer for monitoring.  There is only one problem with this scenario.  I use PL Foreground Boost, but without the PL GUI running, not all foreground processes are boosted (according to Process Explorer).

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for the feedback. Just FYI, I do not believe removing the tabs would have any real effect on resource usage - especially when those tabs are not opened by the user.

What you report is strange. The GUI running (or not) should not impact the foreground boosting at all. I assume the core engine is running continually in your tests. I will do some experiments to see if I can reproduce such behavior.

jamesraykenney

Please leave them in, and consider putting the Handles tab back in. I ALWAYS have PL running and so I go to it for anything except the most complicated task manager jobs(for which I use a combination of Process Explorer, Security Task Manager, Task Coach, and System Explorer).

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for your feedback as well. I may include the Handles tab again in the future. The problem is that in order to resolve the objects the handles refer to back to their actual names (i.e. a filename), I have to use a device driver. This complicates the install and usage of the product a little. I will definitely keep it in mind though, and probably will restore it at some point.

MMcVeigh

I have started a new topic "Foreground Boost ineffective For Some Programs" to discuss the issue of boost as it does not belong in this thread.

Scott

I didn't even know what tabs you were talking about.  I don't think they belong there.  When I want that info, I use Process Explorer or Process Hacker.  I think you should remove them.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: heterodox on October 21, 2009, 05:04:03 PM
I didn't even know what tabs you were talking about.  I don't think they belong there.  When I want that info, I use Process Explorer or Process Hacker.  I think you should remove them.

I tend to agree, and I also fear that seeing them in a screenshot may cause people to mistake Process Lasso for yet another task manager. What I may do is make them invisible by default. That should solve this issue. In fact, I think I will do that in v3.70.1.

parkd1

That should make both sides happy. The ones that what it on can turn them on. Great idea.