AutoCAD and Revit Recommended Settings?

Started by dmiller_72, July 01, 2014, 03:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmiller_72

Good afternoon,
  We are looking to evaluate and possibly purchase multiple copies of Process Lasso in the VERY near future.  I have downloaded and installed the Server Edition, read through almost all of your documentation, searched the web, searched these forums, and I have a few questions.  First of all, we are looking to deploy multiple high end Terminal Servers and/or Citrix Servers with AutoCAD installed as well as Revit software.  (Multiple Multi-Core CPUs, 120 GB RAM, etc)

1.  Are there any recommended settings when using Process Lasso with ACAD?  I found the section in your help file regarding installing on a Term Server.  And it seems a lot of companies use this with ACAD - I just do not see any recommended settings for this scenario.  Nobody really gives any specifics.

2.  Any recommendations as far as Power Mode?  For example:  Set the entire machine to never sleep? 

3.  Any other recommendations for a Terminal Server aside from this?:

On a Terminal Server what we recommend is letting the core engine (processgovernor.exe) start for every user that logs in. This instance of the core engine would manage only that user's processes. This is asked towards the end of install. So, choose to start the GUI only for you (to reconfigure or view log), then select to start the core engine for all users. In the config dialog that follows that one, simply tell the core engine to manage only processes in its session (the default setup). This is how Process Lasso was designed to work, and is how it operates best.
The reason not to run the core engine as a service that manages all users is because it can not identify which processes are in the foreground of other user sessions, and therefore the ProBalance algorithm can not make as informed decisions and may temporarily lower the priority of active foreground processes - something that isn't usually desirable (though not particularly harmful in most cases). If you wanted to set it up this way anyway, you could exclude some common applications from ProBalance restraint, or 'tone down' ProBalance by raising the quotas in the 'ProBalance Parameters'.
If you are not using ProBalance, and instead using other features, then this is not a worry and you can use either method.
You have the option of allowing each user to have his or her own configuration file and log folder, or have all users share the same ones. This option is presented to you towards the end of install, at the same time you are asked about startup configuration.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

dmiller_72

7 days and not a single response.  Good first impression.   >:(

edkiefer

Hi dmiller_72

Support which is one guy would be best to answer this question IMO . Most on here only deal with client type config .

But maybe some more info and maybe me or others can help .

So in this terminal server what is getting shared ?
Is AutoCAD run from there for clients or each client has AutoCAD and it just updates to server so others can see and update or print output ?
I never used AutoCAD, but have used 3DMax but only as client and we updated through CVS to a server that held everything .

My guess would be set server for background priority on app like MS suggests and don't let it go to sleep , Also probably be good to have services excluded to (in PL settings , Probalance) .

Support has been very busy lately, normally he is here daily or decent amount . Maybe some more info would even help him to make suggestions on setup .
Bitsum QA Engineer