Feature Removal Request

Started by Defiance, November 05, 2009, 07:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Defiance

Hi all, Jeremy Process Lasso is program that helped me save my two PCs countless times when my applications became frozen, or when the whole system was on the verge of collapsing. However, there is only one feature in the whole program which was implemented from the version 3.48 and irritates me much, and that is the Process Lasso please-upgrade-to-pro-version screen which appears when the program starts up. Although I know that money are essential for the program development, screens which encouraged the user to buy the product in terms of software, have to appear since 1999-2001. Could you please remove that screen and implement another buy- the-product feature that will not nag the users so much? What if that screen appeared once a month? Thank you for your time and I hope you continue the Process Lasso development. It is indeed one of the best programs ever.
Defiance

Jeremy Collake

I'm glad Process Lasso has been helpful to you.

If I were to remove the nag screen, I'd have to use a time limited trial and force purchase after X days. Those are the only two viable alternatives. I also can't reduce the frequency of the nag. Most users don't see it that often as is. Nobody likes the nag, which is why it encourages people to actually purchase the software.

There is always the option of buying the software ;).
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Defiance

Hmmm... The first versions of the program did not contain the screen and that made the program a perfect choice for Windows. But spending money on it? No I don't think so, some day all software will be free (and in my opinion that day has already passed). You leave me no choice then than to uninstall Process Lasso from both of my machines and get rid of the nag that nobody likes.
Thank you again, Jeremy.

Martin

Well, I'm absolutely cheap when I come to software, and I will do almost anything NOT to pay for it, but the nag screen increase in frequency is the direct reason I paid for Process Lasso.

Along with other changes Jeremy made to it's download process, he got ME to pay up for his superb fix for system crawl!

I hate nag screens, and I can hack limited time trials (I have been using one 15-day trial for two years!), but I assure you it's worth every penny I paid for Process Lasso. I even got a FREE one year license as a bonus!

Martin

Jeremy Collake

Thank you Martin ;).

I would LOVE to give my software away completely free. In fact, I often do give my software away for free, or have very liberal licensing. Nobody can say my licensing isn't generous. I also like to think my pricing model for Process Lasso is very reasonable.

However, just like everybody else, I have to pay rent and put food on my family's table. I'm just barely able to do that right now. Without monetizing my software in some way or another, I would have to quit developing it.

I've rejected repeated requests to bundle crapware (i.e. a browser toolbar) with my software, as some other projects do. I do this because I want my software to have integrity. The nag screen is because I simply have to ask users to upgrade to the Pro version, else nobody would give it a second thought. The alternative is a time limited trial, which I'm trying hard to avoid.

I work SO hard on my software. I'm stressed nearly 100% of the time, working 40-60 hours a week on my business. When I'm not working, I'm thinking about it -- ALL the time.

I give as much as I possibly can, and appreciate all users of my software - especially those that have given back by purchasing a license. For those who can't afford to purchase a license, please understand and tolerate the brief and infrequent nag you see.

In the future, I am hoping to reduce the annoyance of the nags, while still presenting them and other enticements to upgrade to the Pro version. I believe anyone who works to support their family understands why I can't give everything away completely free.

I may present a more personal message like this in future nags, so people understand I'm not being greedy, I'm charging for my software because I have to support my family. That's just the way the world works.

Fox

I understand that the nag ware is there since there are few other options. But is there any chance it can be reduced in time? 5 seconds was fine. But haveing that increase each time has gotten really annoying. I only use it to help stabilize Helldivers 2 as it's currently not working well on AMD hardware. Having to wait that extra time to join my friends when they say they have a slot open has cost me the ability to join them several times. I'm only using it for a single function and don't plan on using it at all after they fix the hardware compatibility issues, primarily because of the nag ware.

Jeremy Collake

I am looking at ways to remove or reduce the nag. I personally run with Process Lasso unactivated day-to-day just to ensure that I have a feel for how obtrusive the nag is.

Here's a tip to skip past the timer when you need to:

1. Click 'Activate my license'
2. Dismiss the activation dialog.
3. Nag will close instantly.