Small issue with v3.79.12 beta

Started by RDMTECH, December 31, 2009, 04:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDMTECH

Hey Jeremy!

First I would like to say great job!  This application keeps getting better with every build.  Keep up the great work.

Now on to my tiny little issue.....more of a FYI if you will.

I've installed PL on all 15 of my terminal servers and it went great and it's working great, but there was one issue I encountered during installation.

If you look at the image you see that under the 'Core Engine Startup' both the 'Start at login for ALL users' and 'Start core engine as a service at system boot (PRO ONLY)' are both selected by default.  If I don't click the start as service option and I enter my credentials it won't install the service.

This is very minor, but I know you are a perfectionist at heart so I thought it would be best to let you know.  ;-)

Other than that I haven't encountered any anomalies.  Great job!

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: RDMTECH on December 31, 2009, 04:42:52 PM
This is very minor, but I know you are a perfectionist at heart so I thought it would be best to let you know.  ;-)

Thanks for reporting this. You are right that I am a perfectionist. Its actually a big issue to me, as I take every issue quite seriously ;o. I will be sure this is fixed in v3.79.13 beta. I will also go back and check to ensure the last final build of the Server Edition wasn't affected by this problem.

The holidays have briefly got me 'off my game', but I'm finally back on the ball again. Once focus is lost, its hard to regain. I hope to issue v3.79.13 later today, and HOPE to have v3.80 final by the end of next week.

Anyway, thanks again for reporting the issue. I now have a lot of customers using it on Terminal Servers and it really seems to shine in that environment. All have been very pleased. Well, all users I've heard from anyway ;).

UPDATE: I just noticed it was you, my old friend RDMTECH. Nice to hear from you ;)

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

I investigated and this issue occurs on updates when the core engine was previously installed as a service. It does affect the last final version as well, v3.70.7. I am therefore issuing a back-ported fix immediately for the server edition and registered version of v3.70.7. Otherwise, users may be surprised to see their processgovernor as-a-service configuration suddenly removed when they go to make an update. I'm glad you reported this to me, as it is one of those things that is easy to miss since it only applies to updates under certain conditions.

By the way (off topic), core engine performance was improved a lot in v3.79 on Terminal Servers where there is a high frequency of new process creation activity (i.e. several new processes a second). Not sure if this is the case with your servers, and the older version does fine, just not quite as fast in responding.

Jeremy Collake

Now fixed in the last final version, though the version number was not incremented. The fix for the new beta version will come shortly.