Process Lasso Optimum setting

Started by chrismt, January 03, 2010, 07:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrismt

Hey

I am using process lasso on my very old PC with 128MB RAM

I use Firefox

Can you tell me the optimum settings that I should use for my 128MB RAM pc?

Any help would be appreciated

Jeremy Collake

The default options are appropriate. Process Lasso's ProBalance is designed to 'just work' without the user having to change any priorities themselves. This is a common misunderstanding that I'm trying to clear up.

Of course, there are certain manual tweaks to the configuration that could theoretically further help - but to know what those needed tweaks are in your specific case would require lots of trial and error. You'd be as likely to cause problems as you are to solve them. Therefore, I recommend simply letting it do its thing with the default settings ;).

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

chrismt

@ Jeremy

Here are the list of the process I am running

System
smss.exe
csrss.exe
winlogon.exe
services.exe
lsass.exe
svchost.exe 5 of em
pfsvc.exe
agent.exe
oodag.exe
alg.exe
explorer.exe
iptray.exe
oodtray.exe
PF6.exe
ctfmon.exe
net.exe
net1.exe
firefox.exe
processtamertray.exe
processtamerconfigurator.exe

Can anyone tell me the maximum tweaked priority or explicit rule for these processes?

I am using XP SP 2 and Firefox as my main browser and use a dongle to get internet access

Very old PC with less RAM

Jeremy Collake

1. You need to uninstall - although it is clear process lasso's superiority to process tamer - it  OR uninstall Process Lasso. Having both is excessive and unnecessary.
2. I would not recommend changing the priorities of ANY of the processes. Most are system processes, and changing their priority is not appropriate or helpful. In fact, it will probably be harmful.
3. For the processes in your list I've never heard of, its still best to leave them at normal priority.

*IF* and when a process gets out of hand, then Process Lasso will automatically adjust its priority. So, you really shouldn't do anything. Please heed this advice. I know you probably want to get every bit of performance you can out of your PC, but whatever benefit Process Lasso is giving you is already complete. You really are likely to cause harm if you try re-prioritizing your processes like you want. Let our carefully designed algorithm do it for you, please ..

Jeremy Collake

I almost didn't see it.. BUT..

OODTray.exe - During recent research here I discovered a serious memory leak with O&O Defrag's OODTray.exe. Over time, it will severely degrade system performance. Try adding it to the 'disallowed proceses' list and/or uninstalling O&O Defrag to see if this improves your PC's performance.

That may be the key to your problems! Once it eats up a bunch of your virtual memory, your system's paging performance will degrade considerably. That is something Process Lasso (and - although it is clear process lasso's superiority to process tamer - it ) can't fix.. but removing the offending application will fix it. I like O&O Defrag, so hate to tell you to uninstall it.. so you can also consider simply using it without its system tray icon (OODTray.exe). When you need to start O&O Defrag, just go through the Start Menu instead of the system tray.

I hope you come back to read this.