Feature Request

Started by Neo, January 04, 2010, 02:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo

Jeremy -

First, I have to tell you that this is one awesome utility.  I love this thing!! :-*  It just gets better and better.  I install all the betas - and the alphas, too - when they're posted because I know that any issues will be minor and that fixes will be available very quickly.  ;D

Here's my request:  Could you make the column labeled CPU(%) configurable regarding the number of numerals after the decimal point to display (0, 1 or 2)?  I'd like to be able to match the accuracy of the display of current CPU usage to the average CPU usage for any particular code executing.  Alternatively, I'd be just as happy if the displayed accuracy of the current CPU usage matched that of the average CPU usage; it doesn't need to be configurable.  Or you could make the display detail of both columns configurable. 

Keep crankin' out the code!  You've created a great tool!

Jeremy Collake

Thanks ;). I'm glad you like Process Lasso. I am working hard on it. I don't know if I'll ever reach a state where I think its 'just fine as it is'.. I just want it to be perfect, you know. As the user base grows into the 'average Joe' segment, I've got a particularly hard challenge of not making the user interface overwhelming. For now, I am trying to stress the point that users need not ever look at the user interface, lol ;).

I will see what I can do with adding some options to control the average historical CPU utilization, and to what accuracy its shown. I agree that would be very helpful.

Many people may not even know what that field represents right now. The historical average CPU utilization represents how many average CPU cycles the process has used throughout the process's lifetime. It would probably be better to limit the historical average to 60 seconds, or a configurable time. Still, it gives some indication of whether a process has ever used much CPU, and for processes that consistently use the CPU, it gives a good indication of how much.

I may defer these changes to v3.90 or v4.00 though, as I am eager to get v3.80 out and am about to initiate a feature freeze to begin regression testing. Anyway, give me time, and I'll see what I can do. No promises, as there are a million other features on my todo list, but it is a good and useful idea, so I will try to get to it at some point.

Thanks!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.