Gaming Mode how?

Started by hubbeldubbel, October 11, 2014, 11:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hubbeldubbel

MOD EDIT: Note that since this thread was created, Gaming Mode was refactored and now can make a real difference in game performance. It utilizes both adjustments to ProBalance and a customized power plan that disables core parking and frequency scaling (down).

--

How exactly am I supposed to start the gaming mode?

Didn't find any button. Looked through all menus.

Does the gaming mode actually start automatically once I added the .exes to the List under "Configure game and multimedia processes...", when i start the game?

BenYeeHua

You can just right click on the tray icon, and see the Gaming mode enable there, just click on it to enable it manually.

And yup, by adding it into the game list, it will auto enable gaming mode, you can check the log below the Process Lasso to check for it. :)

Jeremy Collake

First, let me say that I recommend using Gaming Mode in conjunction with 'Application Power Profiles'. That way you can set the target power plan (aka power profile) for your games, and configure it like you want -- maybe disabling core parking and frequency scaling. See ParkControl for that.

Second, you may not see the menu item in the system tray icon if you are using versions below v7.

Third, yes, when you classify a process as a game, it will then induce gaming mode when run.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

arcanum

Hello JC

So do i have to manually add steam.exe and its parent csgo.exe when i want to play counter strike? Do i have to do this procedure for each steam game or is it enough to put steam.exe on the list?

Regards,

-arc

Jeremy Collake

Steam.exe is enough to cover all.

BenYeeHua

Except you always running Steam for chatting or collecting the game running time only. ;D

Jeremy Collake

I am not a gamer, so you guys may need to educate me on this, but I assumed Steam would only be running when you are playing a game, or on a few other rare occurrences. If it's always running, I will need to change my guidance. I will experiment with it myself as soon as I get a chance.

DeadHead

Steam can be running in the background even though no game is running. Personally I'd think executing gaming mode as soon as steam is running is ok though, but then again I'm not 100% sure exactly *what* gaming mode does! ;)
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

edkiefer

right, Steam, Origin ,etc , they will startup auto when you play the game but will stay in tray, unless you close them manually .

Many use Steam to chat so it might be open a lot even though your not playing any games ATM .

I don't use them for chatting and normally close them out after gaming but i am sure they stay open on many systems .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for the details guys.

What I'll do is determine if a game is running by checking child processes of steam.exe, rather than steam itself.

I'll work this into Lasso soon, it's already part of the coming gaming app.

gman68w

Quote from: DeadHead on October 17, 2014, 11:54:10 AMI'm not 100% sure exactly *what* gaming mode does! ;)

I know what it doesn't do, and that's make games run faster. When I first saw the option, I was under the impression that it lowered all other process priorities or something like that. Apparently it doesn't. Someone should write up a sticky describing the function.

MOD EDIT: The poster was describing the older Gaming Mode function which merely tweaked ProBalance. The new algorithm can actually boost performance under some scenarios (can't claim a boost for every case, obviously).

Jeremy Collake

No, it doesn't make games run faster. You are right, I need to correct this misapprehension.

It configures ProBalance in such a way as to be best equipped to run games. Specifically meaning that ProBalance will be doubly sure not to 'hit' anything to do with the game, but will also aggressively apply it's enforcement to background processes.

For optimal game performance, it's recommended that you use the default application profile feature of Lasso to ensure that a High Performance power profile is selected when a game is run. That power profile can be configured with ParkControl to disable core parking and frequency scaling. This reduces ramp up time. The aforementioned is at the core of a new gaming utility that I'll release this quarter.

The misapprehension that gaming mode will boost the performance of games is unfortunate, but no priority adjustments would achieve that. Even the aforementioned mechanism is not guaranteed to boost game performance, it depends on whether the CPU is at all a bottleneck.

All that said, I may very well duplicate the new gaming app functionality withing Lasso's gaming mode, primarily to appease those with existing Lasso licenses. So, maybe this feature greatly expands in the near future.

gman68w

I'm pretty sure greater clarity as to the purpose of a given function will be appeasement enough. "WTF?! Why isn't the thing working?!" becomes "Ohhh, so that's how it works". It also helps to explain things in terms that even the most basically apt could understand.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: gman68w on October 26, 2014, 08:04:45 PM
I'm pretty sure greater clarity as to the purpose of a given function will be appeasement enough. "WTF?! Why isn't the thing working?!" becomes "Ohhh, so that's how it works". It also helps to explain things in terms that even the most basically apt could understand.

Yes, absolutely. I will be the first to admit that I made a mistake in not more clearly explaining the function here. My only defense is that as a microISV, it's hard to cover everything.

I'm working on a FAQ entry that will explain what Gaming Mode does in great detail, and also explain how to best optimize your PC for gaming using Process Lasso and ParkControl --- until we get the new Game Optimizer out. I'll post it here as soon as I'm done.

Jeremy Collake

I figured I'd go ahead and get this done. I've been working on the FAQ a bit lately, as it got to be quite a mess after years of incremental, and sometimes hasty, additions. I've got much more work to do.

I've added a new entry about Gaming Mode, largely copying my answer above.

https://bitsum.com/docs/pl/faq.htm#gaming

I'll try push out an early version of the Game Optimizer ASAP. I'm considering first implementing our Bitsum Game Optimized Power Plan within ParkControl, to give it very early and immediate exposure.

Jeremy Collake

I've added our new Bitsum Highest Performance power plan to Lasso v7.1.3.1 beta. It's just there for now, though of course you can set it as an application default power plan.

I'll be adding the code to have Gaming Mode induce this profile by default next. There's lots of caveats and contention with other features though.

chris635

Hey guys,

Game mode works well with child process's of steam. However I still have to define every game for origin. Here's picture.

Chris
Chris

BenYeeHua

Then improve it. ;)
h:\program files (x86)\origin games\*

Jeremy Collake

I am going to add the ability to trigger on children of specified processes (or maybe just Steam) at some point in the near future.

BenYeeHua

If you want to do that also for Origin, be aware that Origin will launch Browser for some game like Battlefield for battlelog, then it will start the game by using the browser plugin.(might use URL to launch the game in the future) :)

Not sure did Steam will did the same or not, but I guess is not.

chris635

I got it sorted out  :o. I didn't even thank about what benyeehua suggested (face palm).  ::)

Chris
Chris

BenYeeHua

That's normal, sometimes our minds just get cut off and can't find the solution, as your minds is not design for good at solving this type of problems, but another types. ;)

Jeremy Collake

Great, thanks BenYeeHua.

For Origin games, I'll set up a test bed and find a trigger to use.

The Steam trigger will appear in the new Gaming Mode options that will be part of the next final version.

chris635

The battlelog does not query process lasso for game mode, when set up like benyeehua suggested. Process lasso does enter game mode when you pick a server and enter the game which is when bf4.exe is launched, which is what we want. I have two screen shots. One with process lasso log from when i was playing battlefield earlier this morning and one with just battlelog.

Chris
Chris

edkiefer

Origin has folder "origin games" that you could use as wildcard folder path . I only have BF4 but i assume other origin games will be stored here .
For BF4 I just entered the exe path as I don't have that many games .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

edkiefer you are correct. I started a few games in origin and it worked just like it does for steam.
Chris

BenYeeHua

Yes, except you has moving the game to somewhere else, then it should be working. :)
I think it should has a API for getting the folder location? But anyways, by setting the child processes as gaming process should works too. :D

chris635

Just installed the recent beta on my laptop to try it out. Are you going to add origin to auto engage under gaming mode as well? Myself and a lot of people I am sure do gaming from both steam and origin.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: chris635 on December 23, 2014, 01:19:03 PM
Just installed the recent beta on my laptop to try it out. Are you going to add origin to auto engage under gaming mode as well? Myself and a lot of people I am sure do gaming from both steam and origin.

Yes. Not only those, but *any* the user can configure. However, give me a couple versions. This next version is near complete, so has to go one out w/o further changes. Then I'll add larger changes in the next beta series.

Also note that the steam trigger may not yet work in the last beta. I'm still finishing it.