Errors attempting to use the automatic upgrade

Started by redearl, October 14, 2014, 10:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redearl

I get the attached errors messages when I attempt to use the automatic update.
I have looked at all the security and group policy stuff I can find and I still have the issues.
This has been going on for a while, but getting tired od having to download manually.
I've attempted to right click run as administrator and that does not work either.
I'm running Windows 7 professional, Sp1, and all current patches. It is running in a workgroup.

Any Ideas?

XhenEd

Do you have CryptoPrevent installed? If so, just whitelist the affected .exe.
If you have no CryptoPrevent installed, then you have a program that modifies group policy settings.

redearl

Thank you for the reply - I DO NOT have CryptoPrevent installed that I can find.
I will keep looking at the group policy's.

Jeremy Collake

As I understand it, CrytoPrevent changes your local security policy to prevent execution from %appdata% and other common 'temporary' paths.

Someone may have made this change manually, or CryptoPrevent was run without your knowledge.

IMHO, it's overkill. Many legit applications execute code from those locations.

I may refactor Lasso to use a different location, though that may have caveats of it's own.

If you are part of a domain, you may have to ask your network administrator to change the security policy.

Otherwise, run 'secpol.msc' .. and find it somewhere. Probably in the 'Software Restriction Policies'.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

I've just changed the storage location for the update exe from a subdir of %appdata% to a subdir %programfiles%, so hopefully this won't happen as frequently in the future.

For now, follow guidance in my previous post to resolve this restrictive security condition.

redearl

Why not use %TEMP% - the current user has access to that folder.
would that not eliminate the issue?

Jeremy Collake

If %appdata% isn't allowed, then I'm sure %temp% isn't either.

Since Lasso is always running elevated these days, I was able to make this real simple - it uses a subdirectory of it's Program Files folder (or wherever it's installed).