Not responding computer

Started by ilikefree, November 07, 2014, 03:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilikefree

I have been getting the "not responding" message a lot more after the latest update.
I tried resetting everything back to the defaults but it has made no improvement
I wanted to ask if anyone else was having this problem or is it just me?

BenYeeHua

It is just you, did you are doing a lot of read/write to Disk, or no enough RAM?
It can be security software causing too. :)

DGM

I have same problem. version 7.1 English engine version 1000600
Only just installed the software - not very impressed!
In what way could security software cause this problem?

Jeremy Collake

Very sorry for these troubles. I am not sure what to make of these reports yet. We have had 3, of tens of thousands of users. I'm suspecting some interoperability issue with some other software, possibly security software.

If this occurs within the Lasso GUI:

I'd advise disabling Process Icons, via the menu item 'View / Disable Process Icons'.

This is because some faulty third-party shell extensions go nuts when they try to draw on top of the icons. I'm not sure that's the case here, but we're working on improving interoperability.

Also, retrieving these icons can cause security software to become excessively active as it scans the executable files we're looking at.

Otherwise, it could be related to heavier activity in the Active Processes tab. Lasso also now defaults to managing the processes of all users.

It's something I'm investigating. Only a small minority of users are affected, and unfortunately that includes you guys. Hopefully we'll eventually reproduce it in a test bed.

If you see this in other applications:

Check recent ProBalance actions. Everything Lasso does is logged. You may need to exclude one or more processes from ProBalance restraint.

I am making the next couple minor updates free for promotional licenses, so will hopefully figure out what is going on, and resolve it.

While you wait for a fix, you may of course choose to go back to an older version via the Support area.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

ilikefree

I use a SSD and did have my Firefox cache moved to ram but switched it back, no improvement.
I use Microsoft Security Essentials if that is any help with tracking it down.
All settings are set to Process Lasso defaults with only my media player classed as a game.
No icons are showing
Unlike DGM I am impressed and mention it on my website as worth having
Thanks for the speedy reply

Jeremy Collake

MSE is well tested, so it's no issue.

I'd say the thing that would be most useful is a dump of the Lasso log. That should tell us if any action done by Lasso might be detrimental.

Also please clarify whether you see this within Lasso's GUI, or within other applications.

ilikefree

I have seen it with process lasso but only a couple of times.
It is mainly with programs not files
I had Process Lasso set to clear the log at each exit
Ram load is about 59%

Jeremy Collake

Hmm, well the reason security software is so often a potential cause is because it blocks all I/O until it has a chance to scan. This is the #1 cause of such complications. But not sure that is the case here.

For Lasso to cause any problems, again I need to know what the log indicates. That will tell us what actions it took. If it took no actions, it's probably not related. If it took some actions, those processes may need excluded.

ilikefree

Here is what is in the log now

Jeremy Collake

According to this log, you've got ProBalance acting recently on these processes:

vmware.exe
trustedinstaller.exe
svchost.exe (netsvcs)

I suspect the problem may be in the last, svchost.exe. In prior versions of Lasso, it wouldn't restrain that process by default since it's a system process. I recommend you exclude 'svchost.exe' from ProBalance restraint. This may solve the problem. Please do so, experiment, and report back.

Jeremy Collake

Alternative to specific exclusions, you could uncheck the menu item 'Main / Manage processes of all users'. That should restore it to 6.x behavior.

Jeremy Collake

Actually, as I investigate this further, a better option would be to check the menu item: 'Options / ProBalance Settings / Exclude system services'

I believe this is the best approach. Try this.

ilikefree

OK Done this last recommended action.
Manage processes of all users is something I set to see if it would help the problem so has only been set for the last few days.
I did have it set to manage all users before the last update but it changed when I reset to defaults.
There is no other user on this computer and only one active account, guest account is disabled
Will report back in a couple of days to let you know results
Thank you

DGM

Thank you for the email Jeremy - I have changed the settings as suggested and so far no freezing  :)

I don't yet fully understand the program but I'm most impressed with the customer support.

Jeremy Collake

Great to hear :). Please keep us updated.

I am considering what changes I need to be make so that this setting change isn't necessary. Ideally, users should not have to change any settings. The final adjustment will be in the next version.

BenYeeHua

Yup, and please remember that you has changed the settings, after you changed it.
So when everything feel wrong, check the settings first. ;)