Please add ability to save column configuration.

Started by Sfwrtr, November 20, 2014, 11:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sfwrtr

I find that with every version update (and it seems like it happens at other times, too), that the columns in PL are reset to the default, something I find frustrating.  While I can save all other configuration aspects, this one is not saved.

Could you save the columns either using File>Export configuration or by adding View>Export Column Configuration... with a corresponding Import?

Thank you,
-Robert

Jeremy Collake

This should be a very rare occurrence, happening only when I add new columns, something that hasn't happened since v6.7.

The data is stored in the registry, HKCU\Software\ProcessLasso .. applicable value names are pretty apparent.

A registry cleaner could cause the loss of this data, but you'd probably have noticed other effects as well.

Instead of adding an import/export, I'd first change this mechanism so that the columns never loser their layout, even when new columns are added. However, that introduces some additional complexity.

In short, practically speaking, if this happens more than once per year, something else is at play.

Whether a registry cleaner is affecting your install or not, I may eventually change the backing store for this and other configuration items away from the registry, due to the obsession by some users and applications to maintain a 'clean' registry, often wiping out Lasso's ancillary config store. It's a real shame the registry is such a battle ground, it makes it difficult to rely on it for storing persistent data, as it was intended for.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

QuoteWhether a registry cleaner is affecting your install or not, I may eventually change the backing store for this and other configuration items away from the registry, due to the obsession by some users and applications to maintain a 'clean' registry, often wiping out Lasso's ancillary config store. It's a real shame the registry is such a battle ground, it makes it difficult to rely on it for storing persistent data, as it was intended for.
I guess it is because the registry will stay on the RAM as Paged pool, which is 400+MB for me, while also the other software always love to leave many thing on the registry. ;)
Except I am using too much memory(as it is paged pool, it can page into Page File as it like/need), it will stay on the RAM as it like. :P
---
Of cause, the best ways to keep the registry smaller is to reinstall your windows, or install a software that will monitor the registry(or monitor which software has written the registry), then "reverse" it after the software is uninstalled. :)

Jeremy Collake

This is getting way off-topic, but what you say is true. I wouldn't worry about the registry size no matter how little RAM you have. Frequently referenced sections of registry hives will remain in RAM even if it can't be held entirely there at all times. For the rest of the registry, most of which is seldom (if ever) accessed, it can be paged out. Just like application memory.

You can theoretically rebuild the registry hives without reinstalling Windows. That will remove slack space in the registry and recreate it in it's most optimal form. However, in the end, it doesn't matter because registry access is never a bottleneck.

I would imagine that registry 'cleaning' will continue to be something people do less for performance and more for a sense of tidiness. Some people love to keep a clean environment around them :)
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

QuoteYou can theoretically rebuild the registry hives without reinstalling Windows. That will remove slack space in the registry and recreate it in it's most optimal form. However, in the end, it doesn't matter because registry access is never a bottleneck.
Yup, as it is caching inside the RAM. :)

QuoteI would imagine that registry 'cleaning' will continue to be something people do less for performance and more for a sense of tidiness. Some people love to keep a clean environment around them :)
Nah, I am doing this for some software, because some software don't unregister the old dll after I reinstall/update it with another folder name(for keeping the old version as a backup).
Of course I has to move the old folder to other place first, so when the Cleaner scan for it, it will detected it as removed. ;)