PL ParkControl Questions

Started by AtlBo, December 21, 2014, 09:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtlBo

Updated to 7.4.5, and I have not updated for quite some time (since 6.6.0.6).  Got some questions about park control.  I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 using the Windows native balanced power profile on a desktop.

1.  How does the Balanced parking state compare to the native Windows state?  Is this state a "no change" from the Windows management of core parking?
2.  How does frequency scaling in the Balanced state in PL compare to normal frequency scaling in Windows 7 64?
3.  Are AC and DC represented so that the feature will work for both desktops and laptops?
4.  Is core parking mostly for (most effective on) 6 and 8 core processors?
5.  What is the best profile for this?  I am using Bitsum's highest performance for now.  It is a desktop, so...

Any insights in the performance vs. economy comparisons between states/tradeoffs, etc.?  I would mostly like to make sure I can run at the default Windows settings should I choose to give those another look, and I was hoping the Balanced state is the normal Windows default settings for CP and FS.

Jeremy Collake

1. "Balanced" comes with Windows. ParkControl is listing the power plans that have been created on your system by default, by OEM utils, or the user.
2. Identical, if I understand your question.
3. Yes. Desktops sometimes have UPS's (Uninterrupted Power Supplies) attached. When properly configured, even a desktop can go into DC (battery) mode.
4. Stands to reason
5. Bitsum Highest Performance - as created by Process Lasso

Otherwise, custom your power plans as you desire, then use Lasso to automate between them.

Also remember, IdleSaver (formerly EnergySaver) can let you be an energy hog and run in a High Performance power plan while you're active, but revert to Balanced (or Power Saver) the moment you walk away. When you return, back to High Performance.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

AtlBo

Thanks for the answers Jeremy.  I think I understand how to apply this in testing a little bit better now.

I see how the energy saver can be a big plus