"Manage ALL processes..." option not recommended but default?

Started by Autumner, January 06, 2015, 08:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autumner

Hello and thanks for the wonderful Process Lasso and your generous giveaways and discounts.

I'm a set-and-forget user for the moment (and it works great). Noticed in the startup options window that the "Manage ALL processes Process Lasso has access to" option is not recommended for most installations, but is nonetheless set as default. I've enabled the recommended "only current user" option but wonder if there's a reason for this. Thanks.  :)

edkiefer

It just a more simplified view of running processes, will show less and of curse will only affect current user processes .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on January 06, 2015, 09:29:47 AM
It just a more simplified view of running processes, will show less and of curse will only affect current user processes .
Err...
Wait... Should not it means control more processes like the service, but not just showing them? ???

Autumner

If I understood it correctly, this option is not related at all to "viewing" or how processes are presented in the GUI, but to how Process Lasso works when multiple user accounts are present/active.

edkiefer

Quote from: BenYeeHua on January 06, 2015, 01:08:31 PM
Err...
Wait... Should not it means control more processes like the service, but not just showing them? ???
Right, AFAIK , the services don't show .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

This is a legacy recommendation. The docs (including product texts) are being updated little by little.

The defaults are the recommended settings now (manage all processes).

If you do have a PC with multiple simultaneous users (a Terminal Server), then *maybe* you would want to select the manage only current user processes, depending on how you start the core engine (as a service or for each user), but that is an edge case.

For home/workstations (normal) Windows PC installations, ignore the above sentence. Go with the defaults.

EDIT: I am adjusting that tooltip in a coming build.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.