processlasso.exe running but GUI not accessible [FIXED - 8.0.1.0]

Started by Autumner, January 06, 2015, 08:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autumner

Noticed this small problem: I've set the Management Console to not start at log in. If I manually start the GUI and run the "startup options" wizard again the GUI will close, processlasso.exe is still running but the GUI cannot be opened/accessed again. I have to kill processlasso.exe first and then it will open when launched manually. (Windows 8.1 x64 - Process Lasso Pro 7.6.4.1)

Jeremy Collake

My mistake, or I posted in the wrong thread moving so fast.

Either way, I'll look into it. It's minor, in any event, but does need fixed.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

XhenEd

Just for the record, I also experienced the problem several times in the past. Sorry for not reporting it early.
I'm using Windows 8.1 32-bit.

Jeremy Collake

Ignore prior questions in case they were emailed to you.

I'll report after I investigate. Probably it's easily reproducible.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Autumner on January 06, 2015, 08:47:48 AM
Noticed this small problem: I've set the Management Console to not start at log in. If I manually start the GUI and run the "startup options" wizard again the GUI will close, processlasso.exe is still running but the GUI cannot be opened/accessed again. I have to kill processlasso.exe first and then it will open when launched manually. (Windows 8.1 x64 - Process Lasso Pro 7.6.4.1)

Note that this is a distinct issue from the 'XP missing icon' especially /w BitDefender bug.

This bug in NT6+ is presumably caused by your selection of not starting the GUI at user login. I'm not 100% sure on that though, that's just a guess from the read.

Jeremy Collake

Topic for XP users that see this problem (and it's not every XP user, I have enough test beds to know at least that, for what comfort it is): https://bitsum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4793.msg17921#msg17921

This topic will remain for NT6+ users.

Jeremy Collake

I have reproduced this.

Selecting 'Do not start GUI at login' will cause the GUI to remain in accessible until it's terminated, or the user is logged off.

I am looking on into it. It is more serious than I thought. I don't consider it acceptable behavior.

Jeremy Collake

Ok, I'e fixed this in v8.0.1.0. This build Will be issued today. It was a pretty simple case.

If you select to NOT start the GUI at user login after selecting 'Options / General / Reconfigure the way Lasso starts', it will terminate ProcessLasso.exe and *not* restart it (in contrast to normal behavior or other selections). So, you will have to manually restart it.

It's a kludge, but an effective one. It is such because this is a minor update to a stable build, so I must minimize changes. Also, this is an edge case. Most workstation users choose to start the GUI at login, as is the default -- and this problem is only ever seen once, when the user makes the change.

I'll work on refactoring in the next beta series.

However, the larger issue of the process icon *ever* being 'lost', as some unfortunate minority of XP users see, particularly BD users, is something I'm still checking into. That is being tracked in the split thread.

Autumner

Noticed this also occurs in other instances where Lasso needs to restart, for example when the "View/Show process icons in list" is deselected. I think there was also another occasion/option where Lasso needed to restart but can't remember now.

Jeremy Collake

Yes, that is something I'm still tracking, contrary to what this topic's suggest may suggest. This report was different.

I made a topic for it: https://bitsum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4872.new#new