Power Plan not switching back when process closes

Started by brandon02852, January 06, 2015, 09:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandon02852

I have a Steam game process (Train Simulator 2015) which is set to use Bitsum Highest Performance power plan.  Upon closing the game, the power plan does not change to my default power plan of "balanced".  I have to manually switch the power plan. 

This feature used to work properly in previous versions of PL.  It seemed to stop working as intended once the modifications to gaming mode were released.

Thanks.

edkiefer

What version are you on, seems to work here .
What happens when you close steam, does it then go back to default ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

brandon02852

7.7.0.3 BETA

I'll have to wait till later to see if closing Steam works...but the power plan change is tied to a specific game process and not Steam itself, so it should work.

edkiefer

Odd, I just checked BL2 and fired steam up, power plan default still , ran BL2 (just the launcher) power plan goes to bitsum HP, close launcher and it returned to default .
I don't have many steam games , so might be a specific process issue .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

You may need to check the log, it should showing which processes trigger the Gaming mode, maybe there are some issues and the process still running in the background. :)

brandon02852

The process is definitely not running in the background.  I will, however, investigate the logs to see what the culprit could be.

Thanks for the insight.

Jeremy Collake

Do you have any other processes classified as games? See the Options menu for the game list config dialog.

This can also happen if the power plan was already Bitsum Highest Performance *before* the switch to Gaming Mode. So, that could explain it there.

An option to always revert to a particular power plan (e.g. Balanced) is coming.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

brandon02852

Railworks.exe is the only defined game process.

I seemed to fix it by unchecking the "Change Power Plan to Bitsum Highest Performance" in "Gaming Mode settings". 

Defining Bitsum Highest Performance for the application itself as well as checking "Change Power Plan to Bitsum Highest Performance" seems to cause this issue.

Jeremy Collake

Well, that option toggles on or off the power plan change itself. So, yes, the issue would not happen with that unchecked. Still, there is a separate issue. It should have changed the power plan, then changed it BACK to what it was to start with.

I am not sure if this issue is configuration, confusion, or code related, but will certainly be on the look out for all scenarios, and (as always) add additional safeties and notifications to the user of potentially undesirable conditions (e.g. being stuck in Highest Performance plan).

edkiefer

I don't know if its been fixed but you can't have both, game mode and power plan for a process .

I think I reported it while ago , I have removed all power plans with games . i used to have each game go into HP power plan and have them in game mode .
can't have both .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on January 08, 2015, 06:34:13 PM
I don't know if its been fixed but you can't have both, game mode and power plan for a process .

I think I reported it while ago , I have removed all power plans with games . i used to have each game go into HP power plan and have them in game mode .
can't have both .

Yes, that may be the issue right there. It is a legacy configuration change that I did not handle well.

brandon02852

I have Railworks.exe configured as both a game process AND to have Bitsum Highest Performance.  When I removed the "Change Power Plan to Bitsum Highest Performance" in "Gaming Mode settings", this issue no longer occurs.

The lesson learned here is to either:

1) Set a game to be a game process and keep "Change Power Plan to Bitsum Highest Performance" in "Gaming Mode settings" enabled.
OR
2) Do what I did and disable "Change Power Plan to Bitsum Highest Performance" in "Gaming Mode settings" but force the power plan for the specific process.

Jeremy Collake

Got it. I apologize, I misunderstood the first post. Haste :o

.. and I will work on better handling this in the code, of course.

edkiefer

Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I have an exact adjustment planned to address this issue. It may be a couple more beta builds, but will come by v7.8.

Sethos

Hey,

I just registered to ask the exact same question. I found this amazing piece of software and had everything set up for ArmA 3.

However it kept the Bitsum profile even after exiting the application. So I had to manually change it back. I did, as also mentioned have the profile enabled as a game process and automatic start of the Bitsum profile.

Guess that was my issue. Glad to hear it'll be sorted :)

Thank you for a great piece of software, can finally get rid of my annoying little Rainmeter setup to change between power profiles, forgetting it, tabbing out etc.

Jeremy Collake

Thanks!

FWIW, the planned adjustment is not in v7.7.1.3 beta, which I'm uploading in a few minutes, but it is next on my agenda.

Jeremy Collake

I just completed the planned adjustment. Basically, custom power profiles will not work with gaming apps. I do still need to do some work on the UI side, but the governor will disallow it. This is assume you have gaming mode set to change power plans. For versions 7.7.5 beta and above. 7.8 probably < 36 hours.