Auto-update: Just a question, not a feature request.

Started by Hotrod, January 13, 2015, 06:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotrod

When PL auto updates, it closes PL then downloads the file, then installs the update, then restarts PL. I may be unaware of some functionality issues, or just plain wrong, but wouldn't it work better by allowing PL to assist in the download portion? So my idea would be to have the updater download the file, then close PL, then run the installer, then reopen PL. Is this not a more logical approach or am I missing something?

Jeremy Collake

It was largely simply my preference to isolate the updater in an executable that can be run independently.

Whether the current system is absolutely ideal or not is not on my radar though. The primary concern is that it works, handling a fairly complex product with multiple editions, bit-sizes, and license types.

That said, it may very well get refactored at some point in 2015 - it just works awful well for Lasso right now. I hate to touch it.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Hotrod

Good enough for me. It seems to work flawlessly here. So let's not mess with it. My curiosity just finally got the best of me. Thanks for the reply.  8)