No Counts on Insights About Restraints /w Limited User [ACCEPTED - In Progress]

Started by XhenEd, January 15, 2015, 10:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XhenEd

There's no counting on the Insights and on the graph. Whenever there's a process restraint by probalance, the restraint is not counted by the Insights. On the graph, I see "0 Today" even if there were several process restraints happened on the same day.

I think this only happened when a user is in a non-admin account. My laptop's operating system is Windows 8.1 32-bit. I usually use the limited user account (non-admin). I tried logging in as an Admin user. And the Insights counter worked. I think Insights work only on an Admin account.

Is it a bug? Is it by design? Or is it something I only experience? Thanks!  :D

Jeremy Collake

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

XhenEd

I think this is still not fixed.  :)
I'm using the PL v8.0.

Jeremy Collake

I think I've identified the problem here when running Lasso as a Limited User, but it will take some work to fix - so will begin the next beta series, which will start shortly.

The good news is that, other than this minor glitch, as a Limited User, Lasso works fine. That can't be said for a lot of software.

edkiefer

Ver 8.0 it seems fine here under admin rights
Bitsum QA Engineer

XhenEd

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 23, 2015, 06:32:08 AM
I think I've identified the problem here when running Lasso as a Limited User, but it will take some work to fix - so will begin the next beta series, which will start shortly.

The good news is that, other than this minor glitch, as a Limited User, Lasso works fine. That can't be said for a lot of software.
Yeah, it's really a non-breaking problem.  :)
Everything works fine other than the aesthetic/UI problem.  ;)

Thanks, Jeremy!

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on March 23, 2015, 07:12:42 AM
Ver 8.0 it seems fine here under admin rights

Yea, it's only seen when run as a Limited User, which is rare.

Quote from: XhenEd on March 23, 2015, 09:03:51 AM
Yeah, it's really a non-breaking problem.  :)
Everything works fine other than the aesthetic/UI problem.  ;)

That is good to hear, but I'll still make sure it's resolved. Feel free to poke this thread if you think I forget, I get so overwhelmed at times :o

Jeremy Collake

I've deferred this to 8.0.1.x or 8.0.2. I'll get to it as soon as I can, and then - based on the fix - decide if I'm able to introduce it immediately into the stable build, or go beta. It's on the radar though, make no mistake it will be fixed soon.

Thanks again for reporting it, and for patience while I work on it.

Jeremy Collake

It is being evaluated in this beta series, so hopefully we will have it fixed in the next final update. There is always so much to do, and so few of our users run as a Limited User that this was deferred a bit. Very sorry for the delay.

Jeremy Collake

I am going to start experimenting with this -- finally. I know, quite a delay, but it is a strange edge case, and I'm always so overwhelmed.

Let me ask you this: If you close Process Lasso after you know it took a restraint today (e.g. by running the CPUEater Demo), then re-open it, does it show Today count correctly?

XhenEd

Yay!  ;D

No, Process Lasso still wouldn't show the correct count. I didn't actually experiment with CPUEater, but I know there were several times in the past where PL had restraints and I closed and reopened PL (along with ProcessGovernor) for several reasons (i.e. updates). But the correct count didn't happen.

Anyway, I'm on my new laptop. Yay!
I now use Windows 8.1 64-bit now. I'll try to create a non-admin account, and see if PL still won't show the correct count. :D

Edit: I logged-in to my Guest account. I ran Crusader Kings 2 and made sure that Gaming mode was not ran. I switched to desktop, and expectedly PL acted on the game. However, Insights and the main graph still didn't record the restraint.

Jeremy Collake

Ok, thanks. I was asking because I was trying to determine the failure was in the event that notifies the GUI that it needs to update it's display, or elsewhere. Apparently it's elsewhere. I'll figure it out!

Jeremy Collake