Two prgrams will not run [RESOLVED]

Started by parkd1, June 01, 2015, 05:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkd1

Fire Fox will not run. It just opens then close.

https://nightly.mozilla.org/

Hwinfo diagnostic software will not run. It just opens then close

http://www.hwinfo.com/

If I rename the program exe file, it runs just fine. If I do not run Process Lasso, I do not have to rename the exe file and it runs just fine. Both programs are 64bit. If their is anything else you need to track this down and fix just ask.

edkiefer

Quote from: parkd1 on June 01, 2015, 05:41:12 PM
Fire Fox will not run. It just opens then close.

https://nightly.mozilla.org/

Hwinfo diagnostic software will not run. It just opens then close

http://www.hwinfo.com/

If I rename the program exe file, it runs just fine. If I do not run Process Lasso, I do not have to rename the exe file and it runs just fine. Both programs are 64bit. If their is anything else you need to track this down and fix just ask.
Hi Parked1

This sound like you have a rule enabled on these processes , does log (PL one) say anything when you try and run (w/o) renaming ?

Also open the PL.ini config file and see if those processes are listed anywhere in rules (you didn't happen to use "terminate always " did you ?
configure disallow processes option or in ini
DisallowedProcesses=
Bitsum QA Engineer

parkd1

Not sure but is there a way to check to see if I used terminate always.

parkd1

Ok find it and removed it now works great. Thanks. :D

edkiefer

Quote from: parkd1 on June 01, 2015, 06:28:25 PM
Not sure but is there a way to check to see if I used terminate always.
Yes, It will be moved to disallowed process list , just check option menu window .

Glad it works
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

And then someday PL will be killed by some AV, and labeled as malware. ;D

parkd1

Quote from: BenYeeHua on June 02, 2015, 05:13:32 AM
And then someday PL will be killed by some AV, and labeled as malware. ;D

I got rid of it by opening the ini file. Your way is way better. That helps a lot. Thanks  again

BenYeeHua

lol, anyways, did you somehow added it into the disallow list, or the Process Lasso did it itself?
Just wonder did this is a bug or... mouse error. ;)

edkiefer

My guess he accidentally hit "terminate always" on a process instead of terminate, which would of added that process to disallow list .
I never had PL add a process by itself , its not HAL :)
Bitsum QA Engineer

parkd1

Mouse error. Pretty sure I hit it.

Jeremy Collake

What I've decided to do here is remove the 'do not ask again' option from the disallowed process confirmation prompt. It's surely seldom used, and so there's no reason people can't tolerate that extra confirmation. Had that confirmation not been previously checked to 'not show again', probably this issue would have been notated.

Also, I'll see what I can do better notify when disallowed processes are run. Maybe finally bring back system tray tooltips, as I know some users have requested for some time. The issue with them is that, in certain environments, they can quickly become flooding.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

QuoteAlso, I'll see what I can do better notify when disallowed processes are run. Maybe finally bring back system tray tooltips, as I know some users have requested for some time. The issue with them is that, in certain environments, they can quickly become flooding.
Start with logging first? :)

Jeremy Collake

They aren't logged? Unless that specific log type is disabled, they should be.

BenYeeHua

So I guess maybe we should asking to check the log first...

And yup, just tried, it did logged. :)

edkiefer

Check my post, I asked about logs   :)

They work fine
talking disallowed processes GWX.exe should be one , j/k  ;D
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on June 03, 2015, 01:02:16 PM
talking disallowed processes GWX.exe should be one , j/k  ;D
lol, you can just disable in the Task Scheduler, check for it by using Process Explorer. ;)

edkiefer

Quote from: BenYeeHua on June 05, 2015, 05:34:51 AM
lol, you can just disable in the Task Scheduler, check for it by using Process Explorer. ;)
Right , either uninstall the update or disable the schedules that run it , I was just joking .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on June 05, 2015, 06:49:26 AM
Right , either uninstall the update or disable the schedules that run it , I was just joking .
Ya, and it don't taking much memory usage too, just the icon is annoying, as it just keep showing up even you has hidden it... :P

edkiefer

yeh, looks like they do a refresh when you reboot so sets settings to default , icon showing .
no biggy, it doesn't really do anything ,, yet :)
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on June 05, 2015, 11:35:25 AM
yeh, looks like they do a refresh when you reboot so sets settings to default , icon showing .
no biggy, it doesn't really do anything ,, yet :)
Yup, as it is not ready for download.
---
And nope, it did something.
It changed your Windows Update, and now you never know did there are any update easily. ;D

chris635

Just disable it through task scheduler. When your ready, then re-nable it.

Edit: This is for the system tray icon.
Chris

BenYeeHua

Yup, but somehow most people like to uninstall the patch, rather than just disable it via the task scheduler.
I guess they might want to download ISO or something...