Column to show GPU use

Started by gman68w, June 25, 2015, 09:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman68w

Lately I've been having trouble with my graphics card, trying to figure out why, when every other part of my PC is at rest, the card is running something. When I asked about this on the manufacturer's support boards, one of the steps towards finding a solution was to download Sysinternals' Process Explorer, which includes an option for monitoring GPU usage.

While lassoing the use of GPU power may prove more problematic than it is useful, it would definitely be neat to have the monitoring tool integrated with PL.

Jeremy Collake

I agree completely. This is an area of research. I'll see what I can do!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on June 25, 2015, 12:58:16 PM
I agree completely. This is an area of research. I'll see what I can do!
http://forum.sysinternals.com/how-process-explorer-get-gpu-usage_topic26875.html

Anyways, for Process Explorer, it should not break the Optimus and Enduro system, I don't see the Nvidia graphic enabled when I open Process Explorer.
And I also tested, it will showing GPU usage from Nvidia graphic as well, but I don't test what will it be when both of them are 100% GPU usage because I need to leave now. :)

Jeremy Collake

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Just tested, it will only displaying the Intel graphic, so it will only showing the GPU usage for copying from Nvidia to Intel, if your software are fast enough to hit 500+FPS. :)

But I guess this might not be a issues, as you don't monitoring GPU usage for gaming, but just something like browser or other thing that are using GPU.

QuoteLately I've been having trouble with my graphics card, trying to figure out why, when every other part of my PC is at rest, the card is running something. When I asked about this on the manufacturer's support boards, one of the steps towards finding a solution was to download Sysinternals' Process Explorer, which includes an option for monitoring GPU usage.
For me, I just check the GPU Committed Bytes, because for IE, it will be 0% GPU usage if you minimize it.
(Of cause it will also be 0% GPU usage for other apps, but that is rarely happen. :P)

edkiefer

With one dedicated graphic card PE works with GPU usage (all graphs in graphic tab ) .

So maybe its only a issue with both internal vid and a dedicated card.

PS: my i5-3570k has onboard graphic, but I never installed the drivers, so system doesn't see it.
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on June 27, 2015, 08:52:04 AM
With one dedicated graphic card PE works with GPU usage (all graphs in graphic tab ) .

So maybe its only a issue with both internal vid and a dedicated card.

PS: my i5-3570k has onboard graphic, but I never installed the drivers, so system doesn't see it.
Yup, but some system will auto install driver for it, and causing some software misbehaving, you may want to disable it via BIOS for safely. :)

edkiefer

yup, I never let windows update install drivers and bios has IGPU disabled .

Intel IGPU is not found in device Manager.
Bitsum QA Engineer

parkd1

This would be a great add!!!!!!!

edkiefer

The only issue I see with this, thinking about it .

You don't want to poll the vid driver to much, either from multiple HW monitoring apps (MSI AB, GPU-Z, HWinfo64 ) and having it always on.
With app like PE, its never meant to be run all times, its more a debug tool .

SO maybe have it that it's not on all the time (turn it on when needed ) or run real loose polling times , or 3rd have both options :)
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

I will said that, just trying it first, to see how much it take for checking the GPU usage.
It may just provide difference refresh interval so it can be avoid polling too much. :)