Main Menu

Windows 10 Q&A

Started by DeadHead, July 31, 2015, 04:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeadHead

I thought it could be a good idea to share information regarding this new os. I upgraded from Windows 7, and of course I have lots of questions! So to get this thread started, I might as well begin with this question:

1. Is it possible to add the control panel as a menu, like you could on the old Win7 startmenu? If so, how?

More will follow for sure! :)
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

edkiefer

Isn't control panel right in the "settings" link in start menu .

These look interesting.

http://betanews.com/2015/07/30/the-best-alternative-start-menus-for-windows-10/
Bitsum QA Engineer

DeadHead

Quote from: edkiefer on July 31, 2015, 06:42:10 AM
Isn't control panel right in the "settings" link in start menu.

That's a "simplified" version of the control panel. You can access the classic one as well by just typing it in. I would like to have the option to have the classic control panel placed as a menu item on the start menu.

Thierry

Hi,
I don't know so far how to add control panel as a menu (like in w7) in w10 start menu.
But it is possible to add a tile for gaining access to the classic control panel from the right side of the start menu.
Right click on windows logo/ control panel/ click twice on the up arrow near the "address bar" (top window)
Right click on the control panel item/ pin to home page - 5th menu item (or similar, i have the french ui  :)).
I hope this can help.
Best regards.

DeadHead

Hi Thierry,

yes I already did that, thanks for the tip anyway. I like the menu version better though, so we'll se if it will be possible in the future.

DeadHead

Another Question:

I would love to have the search function to actually search stuff on my computer first, and the web as a secondary location, not the other way around as it is now (at least when it comes to documents).

For example, I would like to search a text document with the name "something.txt". It won't show up, unless I press that annoying little icon to search "My stuff" (or whatever that's called on the english version of the os).

Windows 7 were far easier this way imho, when it comes to doing searches through the start button.

edkiefer

Quote from: DeadHead on July 31, 2015, 09:50:49 AM
Another Question:

I would love to have the search function to actually search stuff on my computer first, and the web as a secondary location, not the other way around as it is now (at least when it comes to documents).

For example, I would like to search a text document with the name "something.txt". It won't show up, unless I press that annoying little icon to search "My stuff" (or whatever that's called on the english version of the os).

Windows 7 were far easier this way imho, when it comes to doing searches through the start button.

http://betanews.com/2015/07/29/how-to-disable-bing-search-from-windows-10s-start-menu/
Bitsum QA Engineer

DeadHead

Thanks, don't understand how I could miss that one...

Anyway, the Start menu in Windows 10 is getting on my nerves, so I installed an alternative that really rocks, and brings back the old Win 7 style menu, with all the functionality and then some.

edkiefer

Please post which one and your feedback on it , also if it costs anything .
Bitsum QA Engineer

DeadHead

Start10 from Stardock. Still in open beta, but so far it seems to work just fine, for me anyway. $4.99 is the price they ask for it.

edkiefer

Thanks, yeh , been reading good reviews on it .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Question:
Why most of my application shortcut on the Taskbar and Start Menu can't allow right click.

Answer:
It is because a bug in the Windows Store that causing it, the workaround is not running Windows Store.

If you still need to run Windows Store, by restarting "Tile Data model server" service after running it, the Application that are not Modern app will allowed you to right click on it again.
But remember that if you right click on Modern app shortcut, you will need to restart this service again. :P

So far no one know the answer...
http://superuser.com/questions/947789/cant-right-click-on-windows-10-taskbar-icons

---Edit2015-8-19 18:16:46
New workaround, just don't hold and dragging up to show the menu, but right click on it, so it will not happen after you launched Store.
It also fixed the delay that the menu shown up, as somehow right click is much faster than dragging up. :P

BenYeeHua

Question:
Can I use local account but still using Modern App?

Answer:
Yes, but you need to sign in your Microsoft Account per Modern App.

BenYeeHua

Question:
My Bluetooth is not working!

Answer:
Just download the driver from here, then install it.
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/Drivers/Qualcomm-Atheros/Bluetooth/orderby,4/
(The latest version when I am posting is 10.0.1.1)

It is because Windows 10 has supported Bluetooth native, just like the Touch Pad. ;)

BenYeeHua

Question:
I can't download anything from the Microsoft Update Catalog, by using Internet Explorer.

Answer:
Just run your Internet Explorer as Admin, then it will using 32-bit and also disabled Protect Mode. ;)

Hotrod

This works in Windows 7 or 10. I haven't tested  it in Windows 8. This little trick will give you a "God Mode" Control panel icon on your desktop with all the appropriate controls sorted neatly by type.

Create a new folder on your desktop. Rename the folder with this string as the folder name:

"GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" (edited because I got it wrong the first time)

no quotes.

You may need to reboot and the first time you use it you may get a little lag as it populates it's lists.

BenYeeHua

Question:
Can I choose did the Windows Update should check for update/download/install automatic?

Answer:
Yes, here is the REG to set it, and it need restart to see the change. :)

PS:It will download and install the update directly if you click "Check for Update", so it is a "Force Update" button. :P

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8013-windows-update-automatic-updates-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html
---
Also for Store
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6664-store-update-apps-automatically-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

BenYeeHua

Question:
So, how can I hide, and also check for update manually, without install it?

Answer:
Yes, use this.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-windows-updates-hide-show-windows-10-a.html
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

And you can create a shortcut for it, so you can just run this mini WSUS to choose which Update you want to install. ;)

PS:It need Internet access, so please connect to Internet if it found nothing, but there are still showing some Update in Windows Update.

BenYeeHua

Question:
My driver still getting showing on the Windows Update again and again, but I hidden it!

Answer:
Just unhide it, then hide it again, it should be a bug in Windows Update that, if the same driver pushed again and you hide it again, it will break the hide function. :P
You should see it gone from Windows Update, after it check for update itself.

chris635

Okay...so I like using Itunes. The task bar button doesn't work right on windows 10. I have Itunes pinned, but it opens a new button every time I open it. I tried all of the tricks that were used in windows 7. I don't know what to try next. Any ideas.

Chris
Chris

BenYeeHua

Quote from: chris635 on August 11, 2015, 02:42:34 PM
Okay...so I like using Itunes. The task bar button doesn't work right on windows 10. I have Itunes pinned, but it opens a new button every time I open it. I tried all of the tricks that were used in windows 7. I don't know what to try next. Any ideas.

Chris
Well... iTunes/Apple don't support Windows very well...
---
Just Google awhile, and found this two
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_desktop/duplicate-program-icons-in-taskbar/5bbb5984-93fd-4bf2-b1df-9ad636be88ae?auth=1
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/37udrk/duplicated_pinned_icons_on_taskbar_with_10130/

So it seen like it need some software update...
---
And so far the issues that I know why Task bar has duplicate was because the shortcut are difference *.exe, or it need install to the computer.

Did you tried to right click on the icon, then right click on the iTunes, then click on Properties?
By doing this, you may found some clues.

And also try changing the shortcut properties - target as the command line that shown in Process Lasso, this may helps too. :)

BenYeeHua

Question:
How can I disable the Phone Number Detection in Microsoft Edge?

Answer:
Yes, just create a registry value, then it is disabled.
And this registry value is for IE11 too, I found many other registry value under Main, which is also similar to Advanced Settings from IE11. ;)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\Main\FormatDetection]
"PhoneNumberEnabled"=dword:00000000

BenYeeHua

Aware, this is not supported by Windows before Windows 10, so you can't read the files after you compressed them!!!

Question:
They said Windows 10 has smaller footprints for their OS, why they still taking a lot of disk space for the OS!!!

Answer:
It is because it is not enabled for most device, you can enable it by default, and it will also apply to newly installed update files too.

Just run
compact /compactos
to know did it is enabled or not

And run
compact /compactos:always
to force compress it.

----
And here is some more information on it, you can using it on most software that has dll, and also games with a lot of uncompressed texture, without hurting the loading performance. ;)

Information about how to use it on the other files
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/60744-Windows-10-Compression?s=00c7238af0592b50c7e7eda98e50c597

Information about compact
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn940129(v=vs.85).aspx
https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/03/16/how-windows-10-achieves-its-compact-footprint/

For comparing it with games.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/37o86k/windows_10_protip_new_transparent_compression/?

System Files that can't be compressed, for safe
http://wimlib.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16

Tips for adding this feature into Windows 7 and 8.x ;)
QuoteThere is a new driver in the Windows 10 ADK called "WofADK".

After starting and attaching it to the destination volume,
wimlib can apply in wimboot and compact mode on Windows 7 and 8.x, too.
http://sourceforge.net/p/wimlib/discussion/general/thread/ccaf79d9/

DeadHead

Very interesting indeed, thanks for the heads up on this one, BenYeeHua!

BenYeeHua

Quote from: DeadHead on September 28, 2015, 02:01:26 PM
Very interesting indeed, thanks for the heads up on this one, BenYeeHua!

I has more, just the lazy and exam defected me. ::)

BenYeeHua

Edit: Updated 2016-2-3
Question:
I can't disable the driver auto update anymore!!!
It is still updated itself after being disabled via Device Installation Settings!!!

Answer:
Yup, they changed it to the little tick option, and removed the driver auto update options...
If you wonder what is it, I will attach the old options picture, with also the .reg to change it.
Well, the forum is having issues and disallow me to upload them, so you can just change it manually by following the source below...

QuoteYou may use the Windows Registry to modify the driver update preference instead.

• Tap on the Windows-key, type regedit and hit enter to open the Registry Editor.
  • You may receive an UAC prompt which you need to accept.
  • Navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching
  • Locate the Dword SearchOrderConfig underneath it. It determines the download driver software from Windows Update preference.
  • If you set it to 0, you block driver updates.
  • If you set it to 1, you set it to download driver updates automatically.
  • If you set it to 2, driver software is installed if it is not found on the system (this may not work anymore in Windows 10).
  • Double-click on the preference and change its value.
  • Restart the PC afterwards.
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/21/how-to-disable-driver-updates-from-windows-update/

edkiefer

So they removed the GUI option but left reg settings , is that the same on home and Pro win10 ?

I thought Pro let you set auto-updates .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Yup, they removed it and replace it with useless options, did they very confident that most Windows driver is stable....
I guess Pro also don't has this options at the same place, but you got the advanced GUI, which is the Local Group Policy Editor(gpedit.msc).(even it is just a GUI version of reg options, but it is very useful!!!) ::)

And yes, I think the Windows Update can be set by Win 10 Pro, but normally you can also set it via reg settings too, for Win 10 home user. ;)

edkiefer

Ok, good to know.

Thanks BenYeeHua
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

And ya, there is also a lot of useful tools for Windows 10 too, many of them has been translated from Russian to English, normally you can find them at MyDigitalLife forum, just remember to backup or create a system restore point before using these tools. :)

Hotrod

They finally added a "Scan with Windows Defender" context menu  option for single file scanning.  ;D

DeadHead

Quote from: Hotrod on November 16, 2015, 07:05:38 PM
They finally added a "Scan with Windows Defender" context menu  option for single file scanning.  ;D

Hm, I can't seem to find it? Do you mean when right clicking a file, I should be able to see that option? Would love to get that back, and not be needing my workaround (send to...) anymore...

chris635

Yes. Right click a file. It doesn't have the windows defender icon beside it, you could miss it.
Chris

BenYeeHua

Yes, it is added for Windows 10 TH2, you should see it after the upgrade. :)
Just too bad it is still showing up when it is disabled. ;P

DeadHead

So after TH2 upgrade, I started to experience issues with my home network, in typical Microsoft manner. I can't believe that after all these years, they still cannot get things right when it comes to network stuff.

Issues were, among other things, that I could no longer see my own computer when clicking network in explorer. Other computers did show up just fine though. Typing in "net view" in the command prompt gave back system error 1231.

Internet to the rescue, and I found this page:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2131750e-d589-41f0-b6a3-1c7dac2361d9/cannot-connect-to-cifs-smb-samba-network-shares-shared-folders-in-windows-10-after-update

The solution to my issue was provided by user "ledsd"

Just wanted to share this in this thread, in case anyone else stumbles upon this issue. Seriously though, what is it with Microsoft and networks? I've had different network problems from time to time with ALL of their operating systems, going back to Windows 3.11. Pretty amazing.

edkiefer

MS pulled Nov 1511 update from MediaCreation tool and WU.

Edit; let me explain the WU part , I think you still can get 1511 if you already have 10240 .
I have not updated and my win10 update folder content had a setup.exe with 10240 originally, last week when 1511 came out my WU listed Win10 version 1511 with a setup.exe version of 1511 , but now it back to original 10240 one.

So I think maybe now you upgrade to 10240 and then WU will give you 1511 over time, that's my guess, info is weak now on this.

Edit2 ; As of 11/25/15 WU now shows 1511 available.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Hotrod

Ever since upgrading to W10 I have noticed a peculiar behavior. I have my laptop setting in all power profiles to never hibernate or sleep. I want my system to shut down completely. In PL my system uptime used to reset whenever I would shut down, now it keeps counting up as if it is using a saved hibernation at start up. Is there something I'm missing?

edkiefer

Is that with fast boot option on .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Do you guys have the Calculator.exe running? This starts on it's own. I don't have it set to run in the background. It usually starts about 15 min. after reboot.
Chris

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on November 22, 2015, 05:40:42 PM
MS pulled Nov 1511 update from MediaCreation tool and WU.

Edit; let me explain the WU part , I think you still can get 1511 if you already have 10240 .
I have not updated and my win10 update folder content had a setup.exe with 10240 originally, last week when 1511 came out my WU listed Win10 version 1511 with a setup.exe version of 1511 , but now it back to original 10240 one.

So I think maybe now you upgrade to 10240 and then WU will give you 1511 over time, that's my guess, info is weak now on this.

Edit2 ; As of 11/25/15 WU now shows 1511 available.
Just some update on this one, because the ISO install with Windows 7/8 key will causing it to be not connect to the server and activate with digital entitlement(means it is just a local activation, and it will lost activation after free Windows 10 upgrade is gone), so they pull the ISO back. :)

Quote from: chris635 on November 27, 2015, 09:55:14 AM
Do you guys have the Calculator.exe running? This starts on it's own. I don't have it set to run in the background. It usually starts about 15 min. after reboot.
Well, just like Android, they are running as a Empty Software, or software that has been suspended/per-cached, so it will not take a long startup time to open it. ;)

If I am right, you can disable this feature by going to Settings - Privacy - Background apps and disable all of them, then it will not doing this anymore.
---Edit
Well, you said that you has disabled it, so I guess they ignore that settings now. :P

Hotrod

It was fast boot. Thanks Ed :)

edkiefer

Quote from: MicroY on December 04, 2015, 04:17:52 PM
Is anyone else missing their calculator on Windows 10. I just upgraded and can't find the calculator, where is it?
This might help.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/14078-calculator-missing.html
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

It's a 'Trusted Windows Store' app now, changed to reflect such, though now that they (finally) merged Windows Store apps onto the desktop, at least in PC environments, it will display on the desktop.. but be one of the 'Metro' (old name, I know) style apps - Meaning big fonts and large buttons designed for touch.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

So what's they should be using for running, when they want to show the demo of using browser vulnerability? ;D

sumo7

Missing the calculator? Never heard that before!

BenYeeHua

Yup, it has been changed to Modern App Calculator, so it can be updated without Windows Update, just the Store. ;)

You can still install back the Win32 version, just it is bit harder to do that. :)

BenYeeHua

Q:
Why my Windows 10 is shutting down slowly!!!

A:
Blame Microsoft. ::)
Just kidding, it is still investigating, and the workaround that telling you to turn off all software and internet connection....

Well, I always doing that every boot(except I don't close PL and Anti-Virus, it might be the reason), but I has a better workaround.
Just buy yourself a SSD, as it is read/writing on the hard disk while this issues happen, this should helps everything. ;)

QuoteThis issue occurs because of changes in the way that Service Control Manager cleanly shuts down user services. Specifically, a code-handling session shutdown may terminate a process early.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3118867

Jeremy Collake

Shutdown is a tricky thing because you *want* to properly clean everything up, though in practice a lot of that cleanup is unnecessary and gets bogged down.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Fun face, there is never shut down in Windows 10, as for most user, "Fast Startup"/hibernate is replaced shut down. ;D
For laptop guys, some of them just standby the computer, which is much faster than Hibernate. ::)

Unless Windows Update has installed the update, and waiting you to replace the old files, that's when it will shut down for replacing the files, for real. ;D
Or you has restarted the computer, and clicked the Power button when BIOS is initializing/logo is showing. :D

Hotrod

I researched and went to the trouble of adding all the usual "Safe Mode" variants (includes with networking and command prompt as well as basic safe mode) to my boot up menu which already had an entry for my old Win7 Recovery partition. When I was doing the same for my wife's computer I found that Fast Startup was totally bypassing these options. Upon disabling Fast startup, this troublesome issue went away. I like having the option to quickly get into safe mode without having to peck at a key or jump through hoops.

I did something similar to this but I did NOT make the changes permanent as this thread suggests.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/17159-safe-mode-add-boot-options-windows-10-a.html

This is the actual process I used and then checked them in msconfig as well as rebooting and trying each new entry to make sure they all worked properly. On one occasion I missed the last line in the command prompt  addition, but a quick look at msconfig made it easy to rectify by checking the "alternate shell" option.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-add-safe-mode-to-the-boot-menu-in-windows-10-and-windows-8/

I hope this helps anyone who is looking for their lost safe mode in Windows 10.  :D