Main Menu

Windows 10 Q&A

Started by DeadHead, July 31, 2015, 04:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenYeeHua

QuoteI researched and went to the trouble of adding all the usual "Safe Mode" variants (includes with networking and command prompt as well as basic safe mode) to my boot up menu which already had an entry for my old Win7 Recovery partition. When I was doing the same for my wife's computer I found that Fast Startup was totally bypassing these options. Upon disabling Fast startup, this troublesome issue went away. I like having the option to quickly get into safe mode without having to peck at a key or jump through hoops.
Interesting, as I am using the computer at the college, they are having dual windows that have both Fast startup selected.(win 8 and Win 10) :)

Did your dual-boot is asking you to select Windows on the Blue Screen?(the UEFI blue screen that can boot into anything, like BIOS and safe mode. ;))
If it is asking you on the blue screen, then I has no idea...

DeadHead

Q: This is more of a general Windows question that specific Win10, but I would like to know if there's any way you can map a ftp folder to a drive letter? I have a shortcut to my (remote) ftp server in Windows, but it would be so great and open up a number of possibilites if it was possible to assign a drive letter to this share as well. I do know of a few commercial, rather pricy products out there for this, but are looking for a possible native way in Windows, or an alternative that's not as pricy.

Edit: Just found out about a free product @ http://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html - will give it a try tonight (please feel free to remove link if not appropriate).
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

edkiefer

Q: Want to know whats in that update ?

A: MS has release/posted a site with info on win10 updates , a changelog/history.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10

Lets see if they keep this updated over time.
Bitsum QA Engineer

DeadHead

I'm wondering if anyone go the solution to this issue.

I have a small home network of three computers, all of them running Windows 10. The problem I have, on all computers, is that when I, or anyone in my family, logs on to their computer using microsoft login, we can all see each others network shares (both in network as well as in homegroup), but when trying to open a share, I get the error that I can't access <name> and error 0x80070035. This is consistent on all computers. Browsing and accessing network shares through ip-address works just fine though.

However, if I log in through a local account instead of microsoft account, everything works just fine, I can see and browse network shares with no issues whatsoever. Anyone got any ideas about this?
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

BenYeeHua

Not sure, but I think there should be some clue on Process Monitor, just compare the path that it is trying to connect to.
So far I can only found this. :)
http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/cant-see-nas-in-explorer.762/

Quote from: edkiefer on February 10, 2016, 09:14:52 AM
Q: Want to know whats in that update ?

A: MS has release/posted a site with info on win10 updates , a changelog/history.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10

Lets see if they keep this updated over time.
Thank for the tips that allow me to catch up much faster. ;)

You may also talk about the Edge changelog, I am a bit busy now, so just borrow you hands to me please, Thank! ;)

ryanperlman

such a nice post informative

Hotrod

Windows Mail (app?) was broken in one of the last couple of updates. It used to work flawlessly for me but now it won't sync with (some?) POP3 accounts. This has been reported by multiple users from many different mail servers. Changing to IMAP is the simple fix, but many servers do not allow for this or charge for IMAP access. Any tips for fixing POP3 would be welcome. Until then we have to use another client while waiting for a windows update fix.  :'(

Hotrod

Since the Fall Creators Update several users are reporting that they get stuck on a screening with spinning dots and "Locking...". The only escape is a hard reboot. This seems to happen when the screensaver is set with a password and removing this makes it stop, but this is not a good arrangement. I certainly hope they patch it soon.

Arynews

Since the Fall Creators Update several users are reporting that they get stuck on a screening with spinning dots and "Locking...". The only escape is a hard reboot. This seems to happen when the screensaver is set with a password and removing this makes it stop, but this is not a good arrangement. I certainly hope they patch it soon.