Process Lasso v9 requests

Started by Jeremy Collake, August 12, 2015, 09:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

We've got a lot of outstanding feature requests. Some will come by version 9. Please post your request here (maybe again) and it will help us gauge interest so that we know what to prioritize. Rest assured, a period of awesome development is coming. Many things we haven't told anyone about.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Diving into Windows 10 and see did there are any hidden API/feature about CPU, and can it be used for Process Lasso or not? ;)

Jeremy Collake

Is the question you saw such a hidden API, or the question *is* there such a hidden API? I am not clear on what such a hidden API would be for, but am not presently aware of any new additions. Most everything we need related to access to the CPU we already have. Of course, Process Lasso uses the NT Native APIs, the lowest application level APIs, thus has better access than most any other application. If there have been any applicable low-level additions to Win10, I am not yet aware of them, but if they come to my attention, I will make us of them.

BenYeeHua

So, supporting showing the process info(the kernel time, user time) when you point over it, at the "Active Processes"?(small bug, just ignore it)
Or
Allow switching the % CPU, Tray icon and RAM usage into digits, or just adding digits below them? :)

---
Just thinking about this, this two are too small change to the users.

Maybe support showing each Disk Usage on the top? :)

parkd1

Now that Winowdows 10 is out and work on version 9 has started I would like to see evern better support for Windoes 10 as Microsoft keeps bug fixing and adding things and the might be somes changs alone the way. I know version 9 will be great. Could you add End Process Tree. Thanks.

Jeremy Collake

Yes, a tree-list-view and 'End process tree' would both be immensely helpful, and both are very much on the radar. I don't want to publicly state exactly where I'm at on certain 'classified' work (lol, listen to me!), but believe me when I say that I recognize this fundamental improvement as imperative to the future of the product. Whether it's in version 9 of Process Lasso, I don't want to commit just *yet*, but I will make every effort to get this done.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: BenYeeHua on August 15, 2015, 02:50:51 AM
So, supporting showing the process info(the kernel time, user time) when you point over it, at the "Active Processes"?(small bug, just ignore it)
Or
Allow switching the % CPU, Tray icon and RAM usage into digits, or just adding digits below them? :)

---
Just thinking about this, this two are too small change to the users.

Maybe support showing each Disk Usage on the top? :)

A more robust system tray icon has been requested by many people and is something I'll absolutely consider.

Showing Disk I/O is definitely a possibility, though the question becomes where to show it. I'm a bit out of room. I hate to duplicate Windows Resource Monitor, for instance, as that seems like re-inventing the wheel. That said, certainly showing as much useful information about the system status as possible is absolutely important!

Thanks

parkd1

Can not wait to see what would have up your sleeve. :)

Claire Reed

I was wondering if it is at all possible to place the system on one core and allow the rest of the cores to be used for say gaming, it would be very useful for those of us with multi=core systems, Thank you xx

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Claire Reed on August 26, 2015, 08:31:48 PM
I was wondering if it is at all possible to place the system on one core and allow the rest of the cores to be used for say gaming, it would be very useful for those of us with multi=core systems, Thank you xx

I've had similar requests. Let's just say this is on my radar for now, and I hope I can please you going forward, maybe by v9 ;).

It is a delicate operation, more-so than users realize, which is why I discourage people attempting to do this manually. Instead, for *now*, focus only on limiting the CPU affinities of non-system processes that are causing CPU loads. That will at least mitigate them, leaving more cores fully available for your game or other high-performance application.

parkd1

Could you add something like Core Temp? It is a neat little program but it has not been updated sents 2013. Think it may be dead. Check it out here. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ It even work with my keyboard Logotech G510. It shows on the screen. It would be really great if this can be done. Understand if not. Just an idea. Thanks.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: parkd1 on August 31, 2015, 10:22:04 AM
Could you add something like Core Temp? It is a neat little program but it has not been updated sents 2013. Think it may be dead. Check it out here. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ It even work with my keyboard Logotech G510. It shows on the screen. It would be really great if this can be done. Understand if not. Just an idea. Thanks.
I think to get the temperature, you need the low level access, like some driver?(which is very....)

And RTSS/MSI AB don't support Logitech G510? :)

edkiefer

At first glance cpu temps sounds like great addition to PL but there a few issues .

1) there already is dedicated app for this now that do great job with wide assortment of HW info temps, voltages, fan speed etc (HWinfo64, HardwareMonitor , OpenHardwareMonitor MSI AB to name a few).

2) because of nature of reading CPU, there AMD, Intel and within each having various versions that need updating over time with each release .

This is why good monitors are standalone IMO and what make them great for what they do.
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Yup, and that's also why Windows Task Manager don't wanna support it, because it is already a mess and need to update over time. ;D