Malwarebytes issue

Started by InspectorD, May 11, 2010, 10:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InspectorD

As a new user, I'm impressed so far. Some observations:
One observation I have is that the Malwarebytes anti-malware process called "mbamservice" is the the biggest consumer of CPU cycles on my WinXP system. Even turning off "active protection" feature does not stop the constant alerts of the process being constrained. Is this a normal behavior or is something wrong?  Should I address this to MWB rather than here?

The graphical display of the system running at the top of the window is somewhat interesting but but does not provide any usable data. I see that something is happening but have no idea what. When I see a "constrained" marker on the graph I have no idea what it relates to. Hovering or clicking on it and having a pop-up tool tip would be nice.

I don't see a way to include a screenshot here. I wanted to include a shot of a few minutes of the log.
Your Guild's Grandpa. The worlds oldest Gamer.

Jeremy Collake

Regarding the screenshot post capability, the forum is a bit locked down, I apologize for that. I am going to open it back up now that I've isolated it onto a separate web server.

I would recommend excluding MalwareBytes Anti-Malware's process(es) from ProBalance restraint, though its optional unless you've encountered troubles from the priority adjustments. Keep in mind that, in a typical scenario, temporarily lowering the priority isn't going to slow anything down, or reduce its CPU utilization. The idea is simply to give precedence to any foreground process that may need a few CPU cycles to remain responsive. Usually it takes very few CPU cycles to maintain responsiveness, therefore its rare for a background process to be substantially affected by an adjustment in priority. I recommend excluding MalwareBytes Anti-Malware from ProBalance restraint just to ensure that any real-time scanning components of the software are not ever lowered in priority. Lowering these in priority is not useful since the system is often waiting for their on-access scan to complete before continuing with a file or network I/O.

Its not uncommon for anti-virus or anti-malware software to be the #1 consumer of system resources. Put simply, the protection they offer slows down your system - some more than others. The slow-down is almost always due to their on-access scanning. Inserting an additional layer to the network and/or file system stack inherently slows things down. As I mentioned, every time your system goes to do anything, it must wait for the scan to complete (or at least for the scanner to check to ensure its already scanned the target object). For this reason, I personally don't even run anti-virus or anti-malware software, though that's clearly not something I can recommend to everyone.

I've long planned to add hover tooltips over the graph, and am finally going to implement that in v4 ;).

Thanks for the feedback
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

cyberdiva

Quote from: InspectorD on May 11, 2010, 10:23:20 AM
One observation I have is that the Malwarebytes anti-malware process called "mbamservice" is the the biggest consumer of CPU cycles on my WinXP system. Even turning off "active protection" feature does not stop the constant alerts of the process being constrained. Is this a normal behavior or is something wrong?  Should I address this to MWB rather than here?
Yes, I have noticed this as well.  There has been a good deal of discussion on the Malwarebytes forum about excessive CPU usage, especially spikes in CPU usage, but apparently not everyone sees this, and so far Malwarebytes personnel don't seem to be confirming it.  But I've definitely seen it too, both in Process Lasso and in other programs that show CPU usage of processes.

QuoteThe graphical display of the system running at the top of the window is somewhat interesting but but does not provide any usable data. I see that something is happening but have no idea what. When I see a "constrained" marker on the graph I have no idea what it relates to. Hovering or clicking on it and having a pop-up tool tip would be nice.
I really like Jeremy's idea of adding hover tooltips to the graph.  But even without them, I generally find that when I see the "constrained" marker, I can look at the log at the bottom of the interface and see which process has just had its priority reduced.  Clearly, though, tooltips would be a very useful addition.