can i use game mode for windows media center?

Started by frode3, May 17, 2010, 08:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frode3

i have a dedicated windows 7 media center machine is game mode the best way to lasso for this?

Jeremy Collake

Yes, gaming mode should do well for multimedia playback too.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

austinabrady

Quote from: jeremy.collake on May 17, 2010, 12:13:28 PM
Yes, gaming mode should do well for multimedia playback too.

Hello Jeremy,
Great work on the program. :)
I wanted to ask if I should also run in gaming mode as I do a LOT of
intense video editing with programs like Adobe CS5 (Premiere, After Effects) and AVID.
Best regards,
Austin A. Brady

Jeremy Collake

In version 4 I've changed gaming mode a bit. There is now little difference between it an simply entering the High Performance power scheme (another option). That said, there are a few extra tweaks, so it is perhaps still worth using --- and I may add more tweaks before v4 goes final. On the other hand, if I am unable to find more tweaks that may help games and other multimedia applications, it is entirely possible I'll end up removing Gaming mode all-together and replacing it with 'High Performance mode'.

What happened was I had sporadic reports of troubles with the v3 gaming mode on certain games. Being a responsible developer (in contrast to all these get rich quick companies), I had to modify the algorithm to be more cautious ;o. I never could reproduce these reports, but they seemed reliable. The core of the change is that 'foreground process boosting' is no longer enabled with game mode.

Of course, you can still manually use foreground boosting, if you choose. When combined with ProBalance it should be marginally effective at boosting game performance, but like I said slim possibilities of [minor] responsiveness problems also exist. I would not recommend foreground thread boosting at all though, only foreground process priority class boosting -- and I really don't recommend that to everyone either. It is simply something to experiment with.

Scott

Quote from: jeremy.collake on September 16, 2010, 11:41:12 PMIf I am unable to find more tweaks that may help games and other multimedia applications, it is entirely possible I'll end up removing Gaming mode all-together and replacing it with 'High Performance mode'.

If that happened, a side-effect would be that us WinXP users would lose out on the whole feature (since High-Performance Mode only works on Vista+).

Jeremy Collake

Oh, yes, that is true. Though I could make the power scheme code work in XP... I just have to recode it for XP, since Microsoft changed everything in that area for Vista.