MalwareBytes Anti-Ransomware causes high CPU usage in ProcessLasso For SOME

Started by Jeremy Collake, June 20, 2016, 06:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

I am happy to report that this issue has been resolved as of Process Lasso v8.9.8.48.

I traced it to a high frequency of OpenThread API calls by the Process Lasso GUI. These are normally benign and quickly handled, but the extra scrutiny by MBARW resulted in this excessive CPU use. To be fair to MB, the frequency of calls was very high, and probably won't be seen in other contexts. I was able to rewrite the affected code to do 0 API calls and achieve the same function (it was some really old code from 10+ years ago, which is why it took a profiling session for me to see it).

I apologize for not fixing it sooner, but we weren't initially able to reproduce the trouble, curiously. Perhaps we didn't try or look hard enough :o. Anyway, I got to it in time and now Process Lasso will have far fewer security software issues in general.

Thank you all for your patience. Now you can have both security of your choice and Process Lasso.

Note that this fix is being pushed out today to our new ProBalance Stand-Alone product (in alpha) and Process Lasso v9 (also in alpha), though only the latter had any real issue.

I have attached a profile image just to show this in a more visual fashion...
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

8.9.8.47beta seems very good, same cpu% with MBAR running or not running, no overhead from my end now.

I didn't have a big difference but its gone now.
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Well done on this, it is always hard to find issues that caused by other software, and workaround it. :D

wrtahir

That's Great.
Now I will be able to run my System Smoothly and Do some more multitasking.
Awesome Share and Useful.