Process priorities being lowered

Started by ronczarnik, January 18, 2011, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronczarnik

Hi, new to the forum.  We have been using Process Lasso Pro for close to a year now.  Love it!  Just upgraded to 4.0.  Running out of the box with no tweaks, at login, shared config, all users control. 

The computer is a rack mounted workstation running Windows 7 Enterprise and Terminal Services Plus which allows multiple users to connect.  Dual Xeon E5450 @ 3.00ghz, 32GB RAM. 

I have 2 processes whose priorities are consistently lowered and restored.  The first is a system process, svchost.exe (localsystemnetworkrestricted).  "The process may have been affecting system responsiveness."  I am uncertain of what all is contained in this process.  The CPU usage of this process seems to increase as more people are logged in, so I am guessing it's a "shared" process handling many things.  It's always lowered and then 20 to 60 seconds later restored. 

The other is Revit.exe, an architectural design software.  This one is lowered for only 2-3 seconds at a time.

My question is - would it benefit me to make an adjustment so that these are not being constantly lowered?  And what adjustment would be a good starting point?  Aside from the log filling up it doesn't bother me, but I'm uncertain if the constant priority adjustment is having an impact on performance on the user end. 

Thanks for any input.

Jeremy Collake

Well, that's a good question, but I do NOT recommend changing your default process priorities. It may turn out ok, even good, but it is risky. The system assumption is that normal processes are running at normal base priorities. That is why restraints are done on-demand only, minimizing any potential impact from a base priority change.

You could, perhaps, allow the dynamic priority adjustments to continue and just disable the logging? Or disable logging of ProBalance events...

That's what I would do, but YMMV. Maybe, for you, keeping those processes always at Below Normal works optimally. I've just seen the worst cases where users, not knowing what they are really doing, try to 'rank' their processes in importance. I've also seen what utilities than keep everything minimized at Below Normal indefinitely. The consequences can be bad, at least in certain situations.

Thanks for the compliments and I hope I continue to earn your loyalty.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.