Odd behavior of CPU affinity in CPU-Z

Started by edkiefer, March 21, 2011, 02:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edkiefer

First let me say this does not appear to be a issue of PL but just something odd that happens in CPU-Z with regard to affinity .
While it runs at idle conditions its listed as "0,1" but if it gets used it can alternate between 1 and 0 , in use I don't see it listed as 0,1 like all other processes .
This is not big deal, I was jut wondering why, this happens , also if I move CPU-Z window around with mouse I think it stutters a bit (maybe cause it switching from 0 to 1 or vise vers )

Note this process is set to default affinity (both 0 an 1 checked off ) .

I am just trying to get a feel for PL, only been installed few days .

Ed
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

This is simply because cpu-z sets its own CPU affinity. It is doing that to itself when it refreshes the CPU stats. This is likely in order to force its thread to remain on the first core for some operation that would not work if the thread were swapped to other cores. I use CPU-Z too, and just verified it does do this. Thanks for your user ship and support :)
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

Quote from: jeremy.collake on March 21, 2011, 10:15:39 PM
This is simply because cpu-z sets its own CPU affinity. It is doing that to itself when it refreshes the CPU stats. This is likely in order to force its thread to remain on the first core for some operation that would not work if the thread were swapped to other cores. I use CPU-Z too, and just verified it does do this. Thanks for your user ship and support :)

Yes, that makes sense , probably is trying not to thread clash and is coded that way . I just noticed the alternating and no other apps I have noticed does this .
Also PL is only app that shows this, at least ones I have loaded like System explorer .

PS: I have not run into any negative issues so far with PL , while I don't normally multitask to much I am seeing some positive results .

Ed
Bitsum QA Engineer